Batesville, MISSISSIPPI

Most Recent Batesville Camping Reviews
OVERNIGHT

Stopped here for one night on my way East. Average campground peaceful and quiet. Bathroom could use updating.

Sept 2019

This is a great small park. It's older, not many hook up sites. Ranger was friendly Uses an iron ranger. The park is used and for the most part the patrons do their due diligence. Has several trails

Very nice

Nice and clean. Well kept. Plenty of shady spots with lake views very quiet also. Will be back

Clean

Clean campground with pull through and back-in spots. Saw some really big rigs that fit just fine. They have shower house and laundry. Full hookups. Cheap!

Ranger Review: IceMule Cooler at Chewalla Lake Recreation Area

Campground Review: We live about an hour away from here, so we decided to finally check this place out! I am so glad we finally gave it a chance! The park/recreation area is rustic and not overcrowded. There is a boat ramp and fishing pier for the fishermen/water lovers. At the end of the road, you can find another parking area with day use bathroom. There is a paved trail that passes by a picnic pavilion and playground. The path leads you to a partially covered bridge that crosses over to an island with a picnic table. Lots of people were out fishing and picnicking with their families for the day. The campground seems to be slowly going through some upgrades! That’s always great news! The first couple of sites on your right have fresh gravel, while other sites are still in great shape, but are a little more rustic. Some sites have electric and water hook ups. Each site is clearly marked electric/non electric on the reservation website. We really liked it here and look forward to coming back.

Product Review: Ice Mule Cooler– The Jaunt: This is a great day use cooler! I chose the smaller“Jaunt” style because it has backpack straps, so I can tote it along hands free! While we didn’t use it for our food at the campground due to it’s smaller size, it was perfect to pack up a few drinks to carry over to the lake to go fishing. There is a front zipper pocket that is perfect for my ID and cellphone. I loaded 3 canned drinks and 3 bottled waters plus a small snack and filled it with enough ice to keep the drinks cold. I was able to wear it like a backpack and still carry my fishing bucket and fishing poles without feeling like I was overloaded. The size is also perfect to strap it onto a kayak or stand up paddle board so that you have access to cold drinks/food while out on the water! I love the ice mule and can’t wait to order one of the larger styles!

Not my kind of campground

First, it was impossible to find it. Took about two hours. My gps had me get off highway at wrong exit and then I didn’t know which intersection of 7 and 4 the campground was at. There are two. The area is really pretty, but I didn’t stay the night and just gave up my reservation. There was a sign out front saying that payment was required in the folder at the front but I payed online. That already confused me. No gate, no person at the front. Didn’t seem like the safest area to me either. I was driving trying to find my campsite and then I started itching. A mosquito had gotten in in that 30 seconds I had the window down. Campsite was basically dirt with gullies on the side so it was hard to back out. Trash all near table and fire pit. Swarms of bugs were already attacking my car before I could even stop. I didn’t even walk in the bathrooms to see what they were like. Might be good for day use because the trails looked nice from the road.

Nice, quiet campground

Campground was great and had hot showers free to both primitive site($7) and hookup site ($20) campers. The lake was gorgeous with a winding, unpaved bike trail that was really fun on mountain bikes! We didn’t try, but I bet fishing would be great here.

The only problem we had was the trash leftover by the previous campers. The fire pit was full of half-burnt garbage. Pick up after yourselves people!

Overall very quiet, peaceful Thursday night.

Clean and Quiet

Spacious sites with enough room between them to not feel crowded. multiple bathhouses spread around the campground the were very clean. many sites have a decent view of the lake. lake level was up so not much of the swim beach was exposed. day use picnic areas everywhere.

Adult friendly

Campground is pretty basic but convenient to casino so not really kid friendly, you can use hotel pool and lazy river

Nice and quiet

Older state park that could use some TLC, but it was peaceful and quiet. The bathrooms were clean and stocked. We were only able to spend a little time at the lake as we were in the area for a family gathering, in New Albany, so spent the bulk of our weekend away from the park. Friendly front gate staff. We would definitely stay here again.

Quiet stay

Had a comfortable night in a cabin. Cabin was warm & had everything we needed. Will stay here again if we’re in the area.

Clean and safe

Very well kept basic RV Park.  Well maintained and very safe place to stay.  If your going to Graceland stay here before staying at Graceland RV Park.  You'll be much more relaxed at night.

Isolated

This is a beautiful area in the woods next to a lake. Has electric and water, no sewer. Bathrooms are not kept up, dirty and no lights in the showers. Pretty isolated, very few campers here. This could be a wonderful camping area, bathrooms need improvement!!

Nice!

No sewer, water and electric only. Sites are clean and well kept.

Nice place!

We stay here pretty often and it’s a popular place. Especially in the summer! Park is clean and well maintained.

This place is a ghost town. Half

Half of the park is abandoned/closed down and only one bath house is up and running. The few spots they do have are taken up by gigantic big rigs that don’t need the bathrooms so it’s terribly set up. The Ranger will try to bamboozle you into staying there when you are looking for the park next door (Hernando Point-Oak Grove).

Nice place

This is a decently maintained campground. The hosts are polite and the sites are well kept. The swim area is not disability friendly for access (steep hill). The real secret to this campground is the city of Hernando! Adorable Main Street dynamic with fantastic food and fun shops. We camp here very often. My only issue is that the bathrooms are dated and could use some maintenance but they are by no means gross/unusable.

Nice lake views

We tent camped for the weekend at George Payne Cossar State Park in March.  It was still a bit cold and the pollen had come out - looked like snow falling in my headlamp.  There is a playground for kids and dogs are allowed at the campgrounds.  We had a nice fire, roasted marshmallows, and wanted to play disc golf but the lake was too high and covered some of them!

Perfect for Primitive Camping

This place has nice pads to put tents on and picnic tables and fire pits at each site. Only 10 sites though and it is first come first serve. They have one bathroom at the visitor center with a cold water fountain inside! All campsites are shaded, but have bug spray ready because there is a ton of mosquitoes! All together not a bad place to stay for $15!

Clean, family friendly resort

This was our first time to ever hook-up our Class A RV and I'm afraid this place may have set the bar HIGH. This place was so clean & quiet, we wished we could have stayed longer. There were several playgrounds my son enjoyed & we had a blast doing the scavenger hunt. We were too early in the season for the blow-up slides but we definitely plan on coming back to enjoy those. They have pedal bikes you can rent (must have closed toed shoes), tetherball, a pavilion, a pond where you can feed the fish… I couldn't get over how clean this place was. The guy at the desk/shop was very friendly. I thought the price was high ($70/night) but when we got there, it made more sense.

Nice and clean but not a destination unless you like to gamble

For a quick (and cheap!) weekend getaway it's hard to beat. The grass is well manicured. The sites are nice and level with full hookups. You get access to the indoor pool in the hotel.

The problem? Outside of gambling there's not a lot to do unless you want to go for a drive. We drove over to Helena/West Helena (neat bridge!) and visited the Delta Cultural Center.

Love this park!

We love this park. It’s not very big but the pads are large enough to accommodate a big rig. Some shaded spots and some pull through. Very clean. Check In is a little tricky the first time, since it’s done at the hotel check in. But we found out we can just park our RV and call to let them know what sight we’re on, as long as no one specifically reserves it. Have never had a problem with This. Shuttle will take you to and from the Casino.

Nice, clean campground!

The COE has been working on upgrading different sections of the campground at this location! It's nice to see places put money back into their campgrounds! The bathrooms are older, but well maintained and very clean. They don't have the typical amenities of a State Park, but this is a great weekend getaway location. The camping is slightly cheaper as well. A local group has worked hard to establish a few walking trails. We didn't get to check the trails out due to Spring flooding. The lake was also extremely high, but that is typical in the Spring. Not sure what happened, but the campground lost water pressure when we were there. They had someone on site early Sunday morning to repair the problem once it was discovered. There is a playground in the day use area, but not the camping area. There is a basketball court behind one of the bathrooms that several kids were using. We also had a large open field next to our campsite to play frisbee and wiffle ball.

Great get away

We love this place! Clean, and quiet, with good sized sites.

Great CG with W/E. Spacious sites.

COE CG.

Very clean sites and bath house.

Nice, quiet and great views

COE campground. No sewer. Water and electric.

Clean and quiet CG with spacious sites.

RV Only, Like RV RV

I checked into this park while looking for a place to stay in Memphis, it was a very secure facility right on the state line of Mississippi and Tennessee and it appeared to have good reviews so I wanted to see if they offered tent camping since I had seen nothing about that. I arrived and the staff was very friendly however they were also very thorough in stating it was RVs only.

I went ahead and told them I am a ranger for the Dyrt and also a travel blogger and was interested in passing on the knowledge to other campers potentially looking in the area and they took me on a tour bragging on the facilities which had spacious road that were fully paved and well maintained. The restrooms were large and equipped for handicapped accessibility and there was a neighborhood vibe about this location.

Spaces were a little close together but it seemed as though most of the people here were retirees in larger rigs who didn't want the responsibility of having a lot of space in their immediate "yard". They offer nightly rates along with weekly and monthly however I believe that most are taking advantage of the monthly.

The person giving me the tour, the campground host, did mention that a lot of people misunderstand their RV policy and come in with pop ups or teardrops and those usually are not acceptable. So that s a major thing to know when coming here, you must be in a RV as defined by these standards.

I noticed that the site was incredibly clean. They offered additional storage for sports equipment and other items, a rec center and office and for each site both cable and wifi are available.

All in all this park was great, but not allowing tents or certain types of RVs did knock it down a few notch simply because not everyone would be able to take advantage of this site. I was overall happy to have checked it out for my fellow travelers and maybe one day when I RV across America I will be able to visit again.

Check Out The Official Website Or Make Reservations

Lake views with water & electric

We only stayed one night, and moved on. We were just passing through. Lots of sites are waterfront. There were lots of trails available, but we didn't have time to explore. Each site has electric and water, but still only $20.

Good family campground

Many of the sites are shaded and face the river. This water flow is after the dam, so has a very strong current. Definitely not for swimming, but an okay view. Playgrounds available for the kids.

Well-kept campground with lots of good sites

We were we were there midweek, so had lots of available sites. Many of the sites have lots of room and are spaced away from their neighbors. Ranger was very nice and helpful. We chose the loop that overlooked the small lake.