Monticello , MINNESOTA

Camping Minnesota Monticello

Most Recent Monticello Camping Reviews
Perfect rustic campsite

I had an absolutely wonderful stay at The Country School. Brenda was warm and friendly via text, and I felt very safe camping there as a solo woman traveler. I was at site 1, which is closer to the road and house. I heard very occasional car traffic, but I imagine site 2 is quieter. Each site had everything one needs for a rustic tent camp experience—lots of chopped wood and firestarters, pallet table and two chairs, fire pit (no grate over the pit). Note: there is no water, so bring your own. The pit toilet is clean but there are no showers or flush toilets.

I'd consider both sites similar to walk-in campsites at state parks. A few hundred feet to get into the woods, which helps make it feel more private, but not so far you need to worry about backpacking in. I'm looking forward to coming back again. It's an easy getaway from the Cities with far fewer people than a state park (and I love state park camping, don't get me wrong).

High end State Park, but better

Top of the line campground. Surprisingly well spaced sites, facilities modern and clean. Trees galore. Clearly the locals use this park a lot. Strongly recommend

Hidden gem?

Happened to find the Groove City campground looking for a place to pull over for lunch on a trip.

It was closed when we were there but could tell it had been open this past season. All the sites are paved and back in style. Not much privacy but great views of the little lake. Appears that all sites have 30 amp, water, and possibly sewer.

Tucked away in the middle of the Cities

I love this park and use it frequently for our "test runs". We have a new puppy and a new teardrop, so this was the perfect place for us to have our maiden voyage within 20min of our home. But besides just being close, it's also a really nice campground. It's very wooded and feels private. The RV section has sites that are a bit close together and open, but the tent sites (where we stayed) are much more secluded. The facilities are clean and well-kept.

The park itself is also really nice. There are lots of hiking trails, mountain biking, lake access for kayaking/paddle boarding… In the winter we love coming here for day trips to take advantage of the cross country skiing and snow shoe rentals.

Nice, but not amazing

We arrived at 2pm on a mid-October Friday afternoon and were shocked to find just two open spots. Our spot was along the side road that cuts through the campground so not on the main loop which I think led to there being fewer cars. Overall, there weren't too many spots that I thought looked amazing, but none of them looked bad either. It felt a little rundown, even by state forest standards, but for us that was fine. The road into the park and within the campground is awful, so especially if you're in an RV or towing a trailer, be prepared to move very slowly. But we had a nice two days, went to the lake/beach area which was maybe a 15-30 minute hike away, and also hiked on the other trails a bit. We have a 3 and 1 year old, so didn't make it far :) I don't know that I feel a need to return to this place, but I was happy with our experience.

Really one of the best places for small families

Lovely back in lots, beautiful in fall. 2 playgrounds, one massive! Lots of trails, wildlife and close to the drive in movie theater. Quiet and peaceful with amenities we will be back to enjoy in the summer.

Great place

Lots of walking trails , well groomed. Camping spots were large and specious.

Excellent park

Great staff, plenty for kids and family to do

Best kids park

This has an amazing beach. Great Trails. Sweet single track for mountain biking. The best kids park at any campground I’ve been to.

We had a WONDERFUL time

This was our first time there & we are so glad we came. One of our kids & her husband live in Minneapolis, a sister & several nieces & nephews live close by. Covid held us back with visiting, but our daughter & husband & our grand puppy came to visit. Parking for visitors (or 2nd vehicle) is the bad part as they are all quite way from some/most of the sites. They are strict and no parking on the grass (understandable when you see the pictures in the office.) The park is very well maintained! It is pet friendly. Office sells firewood for use $7.00 for 12 pieces (split pieces) There are bathrooms thoughout, but the main one has a separate, awesome, private showers. The beaches are stellar, We took out kayaks while some of us sat on the dock. There are dedicated walking trails & bike trails that are really as long as you want to go! From the park, we rode the trail that goes under the road 19 and all the way around Lake Katrina (we took the left way around, less hills to go up for this 62 year old🤣) It is BEAUTIFUL with the leaves turning. We loved our stay. The only thing we may do differently next time is to get a site closer to a parking lot. At night, it is DARK! & visitors would have a hard time finding their way back to their car without being driven. We WILL be back!