About Lake Superior - State Forest
No WiFi
Lake Superior - State Forest is located in Michigan
8 Reviews of Lake Superior - State Forest
Great spot!

Well, I couldn’t decide on three or four stars but I am going to go towards four just because I’m nice like that. ;) We got a great campsite (13…we think 15 is the best after looking around) and loved that it was just a few steps away from the gorgeous Lake Superior! We could hear the waves when we were settling in to our tent to sleep every night. The sites are mostly dirt so, be mindful of how dirty you can get. The flies were terrible the first few days we were there but then the wind shifted and then those little pests were few and far between. The absolute worst thing about this campground were the vault toilets. Now, we are no strangers to vault toilets so when I tell you they were the absolute WORST ever…I mean it with every fiber of my being. Fair warning. All in all…great time and very beautiful.

Awesome campground off the dirt road

18 first come, first serve sites with almost all having beach access (Attached picture of registration sign has map). We loved this as a stop for Pictured Rocks/Tahquamenon Falls, but we had no idea it was off a dirt road. It’s a few miles on the dirt road to get to, and the vault toilets weren’t the best but the beach was beautiful and there were plenty of people enjoying the campground. Check in I believe was 3pm, but again it’s self registration. One final note is that there were 2 sites that were open to the one next to it, so it is capable of small group camping, but if you want dispersed sites, this campground isn’t it. We also stayed here because all of the Pictured Rocks/Tahquamenon campgrounds were opening the week after we stayed, so this was an awesome low cost open campground that doesn’t require reservation.

Stumbled Upon Gem

My party stumbled upon this campsite over Memorial Day Weekend while exploring the UP. We were so happy to have found it, and to our surprise there were many open spots despite it being a holiday weekend. We stayed after hiking around Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. I later mentioned this place to a friend and she said her family has been trying to keep this campground a secret for years, maybe I shouldn't be reviewing it lol.

It is close enough to Grand Marais for any amenities you might need, and less than an hour from the mouth of the Two Hearted by way of dirt road. Great excuse to kick the truck into 4x4!

The camp sites, though in the forest, are steps away from Lake Superior. When leaving in the morning we stumbled upon a black bear sow and her two cubs in the middle of the road. Pure Michigan goodness! One of my favorite camping experiences in all of Michigan. :)

MAGNIFICENTLY BEAUTIFUL

This campground is right on the shores of the mighty Lake Superior. It is very basic and quite removed from society. You are at least 25 miles in each direction from a small town. This site is for true nature lovers. Swimming, Fishing, Nature, and Wildlife is in abundance. You will not find a better place for sunrises and sunsets. Also, on clear nights, Star Gazing is Fantastic. I have never seen so many stars at one time as I did along Lake Superior. There is a small row of trees that protect the campground from the offshore winds. There are rivers nearby that always have great fishing results and the forests are pack full of Blueberries. Bear, Deer, Porcupine, Raccoons and other wildlife are easy to come across.

Amazing beach on Lake Superior

To date this is my favorite rustic campground I've been to in Michigan. Being in the UP and on Lake Superior makes this place one of a kind.

The beach is rocky and has lots of driftwood from the high lake levels a few years ago. The ice took down a lot of the trees on the shoreline.

Swimming is always cold in Lake Superior but getting in was refreshing.

Picnic tables and fire rings are on each site. Vault toilets are available as well. We found all the firewood we needed right in the campground.

Minutes from pictured rocks

Rustic and beautiful

Favorite place to camp in the U.P.

Right on Lake Superior and the North Country Trail! Also, it is just moments from Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Grand Marais. Our pup loved running on the beach.

Perfect!

It was quite, clean, and on the lake, what more could you ask for?