Add Review
About Kal-Haven Outpost

Located just a few miles east of downtown South Haven, our 50 acre country retreat has something for everyone! With about 30 acres of cleared land and 20 acres of woods all adjoining the famous Kal-Haven Trail which links South Haven and Kalamazoo.  We offer wooded primitive tent sites, pull-through RV sites with power& water hook-ups and a dump station located at the exit, beautiful locally built cabins for up to 8, and a few different vacation rentals with all the comforts of home! Our clean and handicapped-accessible bath facilities boast independent showers with changing rooms, large format tiles on the floor, and locally produced oak and hickory on the walls.  We also have a store that offers our guests and trail riders cold drinks, snacks, Palazzolo's frozen treats, firewood, ice and much more.

Price
$32.00 - $143.00
Private
Hike In
No Sewer Hookups
Kal-Haven Outpost is located in Michigan
5 Reviews of Kal-Haven Outpost
Great design and very nice owners

This is a newish campground and my kids had a great time! My husband and I also were also completely satisfied with the RV area that all the sites were level and they were all pull through and everyone was facing outward towards the wooded area even though the RV area was in 2 circles I enjoyed the view. My kids LOVED the HOT showers that were impeccably clean and they walked the Kal-Haven trail and said it was beautiful (my kids are all teenagers) so they were safe to go on their own. But of course bringing bikes would be even better! There was a cute store with all the necessities as well as t-shirts and Free coffee in the mornings. We will be back as we just enjoyed spending time at the campground and we didnt even get to South Haven.

Super convenient to the Kal Haven Bike Trail

This was a nice campground right on the Kal Haven Trail - about 4 miles from South Haven. The RV camping is in a circle in the center of the campground near the bathhouse with cabins and tent camping on the perimeter. There were some very nice woods with paths leading to the Kal Haven and around the campground.

It was so convenient to be able to bike ride, hike, or run on the trail that I hesitate to offer any critique - but I will. The sites and the roads in the campground are all dirt so while we were there it was exceptionally dusty. I could imagine that when they have a lot of rain, it is exceptionally muddy.

Check out the blue stairs beach at Lake Michigan (accessible in South Haven), Barden's Market for fresh baked goods and vegetables, the Depot for sandwiches, wine and beer, and 3 Blonds Brewery - good food and beer.  In addition to the Kal Haven, you can access the Van Buren State Park Trail in South Haven. It is a 4-mile paved trail running from South Haven to the Van Buren State Park.

Clean and easily accessible

This campground is like a small wide open field. The staff was super friendly, and the grounds and bathhouse were very well kept and clean. There wasn’t much too it, the site included a picnic table and fire ring (like most do). We were in the tent sites.

Great place!

Awesome campground! Very friendly staff. Super clean and updated bathrooms. On the kal-haven trail. All spots are pull through. And all spots are close to the bathrooms.

Great place to bike to, spacious cabins, amazing staff

A group of us bike from Kalamazoo to South Haven every year using the Kal-Haven trail. We usually tent camp but tried a cabin here this year. It was the perfect option as the campground is right off the trail. They provide linens and have basic supplies (including firewood that they will deliver to your cabin) right at the general store. We also met a group that had hiked in to the primative sites and were using the trail to train for the Appalachian Trail. Everything is well-made and maintained, and the staff is friendly and helpful (they even let us check-in early when we biked in ahead of schedule). Highly recommend for those looking for a place close to the trail and to South Haven. The cabins have three queen beds and a sofa sleeper so they can comfortably hold up to eight people (we had five in our group and I never felt crowded). There's a large table inside and two chairs on the porch. There's also a large picnic table outside, a fire pit, and a grill. They are hoping to expand and add cabins sized for couples in the near future.