Abington, MASSACHUSETTS
Most Recent Abington Camping Reviews
A slice of heaven

Just a short walk to the beautiful National Seashore. A short ride to a bike trail. A short drive to the Restaurants, Sights and Entertainment of Provincetown if you even want to leave the wooded serenity of the North of Highland Camp.

My family and I have enjoyed this spot for years.

So close to Boston

Came here while in college at Brandeis University with my field Biology class. We explored all over the bog looking for interesting species of plants and animals and found so many amazing things. This is an amazing site to take anyone who is adventurous and loves to explore. It also doesn't hurt that it's so close to Boston. I agree with all the other reviewers and definitely suggest checking this site out.

Decent

Big campground, well maintained. A lot of restrooms. Most clean, one restroom building I went in the showers were very gross. But the rest I went in were a lot cleaner. Also we called the day we wanted to stay, booked a site, paid. Then when we got there, they had no records of the purchase, also kind weird. They did let us stay the night anyways and we figured everything out. All and all nice campground. More towards rvs since 3/4 of everyone there is rvs.

All the amenities. Cabins, tent or RV sites

This campground has showers (pay with quarters for hot water) activities for the kids, pool, arcade, snack bar? Ponds that after a busy weekend seem to be full of dump station over flow because the smell can be a little much at times.

Overall friendly people. They sell propane and firewood.

Perfect blend of rugged and convenient for small kid camping

We went camping here with our SpiralScout Circle, kids aged 4-8. The group site is super close to parking and yet the terrain is rugged enough that it always felt like we were really in the woods. A recently renovated bathroom and shower facility makes clean ups easy.

The camp is also adjacent to Breakheart Reservation, which had a great shallow pond with life guard on duty as well as bike trails and a range of different hikes.

All of this right in Saugus MA, less than 30 minutes from Boston.

I can’t wait til the current renovation is done so we can go there again soon.

Organized, Clean, Family Friendly

We stayed here for a few nights when they celebrated Halloween 🎃. It is super easy to get around. They had tons of festive activities. They have an indoor and an outdoor pool. The restrooms are clean. I highly recommend staying here. It was a lot of fun.

Clean and friendly

The owners are very friendly and helpful. The park is clean although it can be a bit noisy with commuter traffic. Easy to maneuver even with a big rig.

The best of New England!

The White Mountains, New Hemisphere, is a must, worth the short drive especially if you can go in early October, when the leaves are changing. Boston is only 40 minutes away, and the best of Maine is also very close. If you’re not up for sightseeing, and you want a good pizza take the 7 minute walk from the campsite to Chip Shots, yum. The staff and campgrounds were both very nice.

Some very large private sites, some great family sites.

Large sites. Clean bathroom. Good for families or couples.

perfect beach front camping

This was our first camping trip of the year and we loved being right on the beach. There are no hookups but water is easily acquired and there is a dumping station. We loved being able to hike for hours right from our campsite. While the beach in the campground is very rocky it is a short walk to beautiful public beaches. I cant wait to return to this campsite.

Relax in the woods

Just reopened this summer and they did a great job on everything. Nice sites, great playgroung for the kids.

Nice Retreat in an Area You Wouldn't Expect

The Good: Spacious campsites, some are very private and some are more suitable for a group to combine a couple together, bathrooms are cleaned a couple times a day, trails in the area are great, swimming area, close to grocery shopping if you forgot something, DOG FRIENDLY

The Not-so-good: It is about $10/night more expensive for out of staters, wood has to be purchased at the campground, the fire pits are fire boxes and can be less fun than a pit - hard to sit around because you can only see the flame out one side of box, the bathrooms get busy and sometimes run out of toilet paper on busy weekends, there has been some illegal activity there (last time I was there, about a dozen police cars rolled in), quiet hours are not enforced well sometimes.

Family oriented

Convenient location, beautiful pond on beautiful cape cod, Ma. My family has gone there for years with neighbors and always enjoyed our stay.

Beachy access and close to Provincetown

I stayed at this campground over Labor Day weekend 2018. While it was relatively booked to capacity, everyone staying here was very respectful of the quiet times and my stay was super pleasant. There is a short walk from the campground to the entrance of Head of the Meadow beach and it is really conveniently located to get to Provincetown. I loved the ground cover which was a mix of sandy soils and soft pine needles. The tree cover snd scrubby forest surroundings made for nice seclusion and pretty scenery. The bathroom amenities were good, but bring quarters for showers. For 1 quarter you get 7 min of hot water so it was a good deal, I thought. Loved the location!! I would come back.

Nice quick getaway from Boston

Being just 30min away from Boston makes it a convenient weekend trip destination, to get out and explore nature a little bit.

Camp sites are gigantic, have running water, picnic table and fireplace. There is a playground and activity field (basketball, etc.) on the campground.

Family campground, some large site some private sites

Some waterfront sites, very near town and north shore activities. Very helpful rangers.

Great staff

Great location

Expensive and loud

I don't know how a cartoon themed campground ended up with a full bar, live music until midnight, and rowdy drunk seasonal campers partying until dawn. But there it is. You can also here I 84 from the tent sites. Besides the noise, there's the expense for everything. 3 dollars per person per rider for a paddle boat. 5 dollars per person per day to use their "aqua center" (a pool with a 20 foot water slide). 7 dollars for a bundle of pine firewood. And there are kids activities, but that requires a fee as well.

We had a good time here despite all of this, but we certainly won't be back.

More permanent sites

Most of this campground is permanent trailers. None of which are very well kept. The sites we were on were very in level and the water and electric were very far apart from each other. The dump station was so unlevel that we had to stop on the turnpike to dump our tanks properly.

Quick shot at this

The guy above me gave you most of the skinny, so I can keep this short and sweet. This campsite is superlatively convenient if you live in the Boston area, especially so if you’re like me and you’re one of those “Boston kids who don’t cross the bridge,” both proverbial and otherwise. The area around Ponkapog is beautiful, showcasing a wetland climate that, while common, is an integral part of the Massachusetts ecosystem that many people don’t even realize is within a stones throw. Why spend a summer weekend baking like a sausage next to a big of townies when you can chill in the bog with bogey-bogmen?

Highlights:

serviceable and cheap campground with limited amenities

some natural peace and quite close to the city

lots of good berry picking and trails

not far from the blue hills

good family fun

swimming

Lowlights:

bogmen

one night stay

very friendly staff. good location. camping spots are too close from one another.

Well managed

Had a few issues they cleared them up quickly. Clean and spacious

Feels like Vermont yet 20 minutes from Downtown Boston

Great People, Great Times.

Ponky is a hidden jem! Minutes from Boston, feels Miles away. Love the cabins! Spending Friday & Saturday in one of the cabins (w/woodstove) is deal for a winter weekend adventure!

Plenty of sites, perfect for car campers, right price for cape "lodging"

One of my all time favorites. Not super fancy. Your basic car camping. Perfect for new(er) campers and families..

Great way to get on Cape Cod in the summer without a reservations (and off the cape). Super close to Sandwich Town & Scusset beaches. Nice shady sites, clean, well kept, friendly, helpful rangers. Many quaint, private sites considering the number of sites available.

Enjoy!

Right on the ocean if you can get the front road. Great get away.

No hook ups. Has bathrooms and showers.

Great for groups

We had a large group for Levitate Music Festival so we reserved two sites next to each other. Best decision ever! The sites are large to begin with and there is a decent amount of brush all around to give some privacy.

Family friendly stay

Great price for a spot, campsites were pretty close together. Not much privacy or seclusion. Lots of little trails and flowers! A great stop over campsite!

Beautiful in the fall

Very pretty and historical trails to walk on. Not too far from the city.

Close to minute man np

Close to minute man historical sites- revolutionary war historical trails and Ranger Station. Not too far from Boston.

Charming!

I actually camped here, while looking for apartments during my move to boston. It's about 45 min out of the city. Not too crowded, bathrooms and picnic tables. Trails around and several ponds. Totally would recommend, for a little getaway out of the city.