The best DRIVE IN camping near
Fairplay , MARYLAND

Most Recent Fairplay Camping Reviews
Camping fun!

We had a wonderful family 👪 ❤ time. Concerts, games, pool, hikes etc.

Can't wait to go again!

Family.fum

We had a wonderful family 👪 ❤ time. Concerts, games, pool, hikes etc.

Can't wait to go again!

Every January

Every January for the last few years some friends and I have gone and camped along the Appalachian Trail. It's you can park at Pine Grove State Park and then hike your way into locations or park at other trail heads. Water is easily found and views like Sunset Rocks are simply gorgeous. These trips are what gave me the experience, and confidence, to go from tent camping to tarp camping.

Wooded retreat

We stayed in a lovely cabin here while I was in town for work. My husband enjoyed the pool with the kids during the day and when I was there we enjoyed shuffleboard, mini golf and hiking together. The cabin was clean and well maintained and the cabins are at the top of the hill but that made for a beautiful view and we felt like we were away from everyone else. I wasn't as fond of the camper sites they seemed kind of close together but the cabins were amazing.

Beautiful in the fall

Absolutely amazing fall color on the lake and great drives surrounding. Bathrooms are clean and hot showers.

RV Community not a resort

This is the only RV park in the Frederick area not at a state park. It's part mobile home part RV. It's not a vacation RV resort in any sense, it's definitely got more long term stays. Everyone had their own private lots which are nice but it is very tightly packed in. Every site has full hookups, cable, and trash service which is great. You are in Frederick so you are close to basically everything. You can walk to Aldi, Panera, amazing local restaurants. You're near Walmart, Target, Sheetz and Wawa. The location cannot be beaten for Frederick. Making reservations was a little nerve-wracking since it's was just said that there was a site available and to call a half-hour before arriving. We arrived with no issues though. It's a little rednecky but everyone is super nice and offers to help.

Not the best RV park, not the worst.

All sites are 50amp too so if you have a 30amp rig, you'll need a converter.

Best Suited for Families

I grew up camping with my family at Rocky Gap every summer. The best feature of Rocky Gap is the versatility of the campgrounds. There are options for RV camping with electric, tent spots, small cabins, and the resort if you would rather have a more comfortable resort experience. Pets are allowed in a select few loops.

They have a range of activities available including a large lake to swim, fish or paddle. There are a few trails for hiking, at least 2 small “beach” areas off the lake with play grounds and a camp store. You can also go over to the casino resort for entertainment and food.

Alcohol is not permitted outside of the resort which is partly why I say this camping experience is better for families. Rangers routinely monitor the site loops and there is a quiet hours period, I believe starting at 10pm and you will have a ranger pull up on you if you do not adhere.

CAMPSITES BREAKDOWN:

Type: Gravel Vehicle Accessible: Yes Size: ~ 1 large tent or 2 compact tents. Most are the same size, fairly small spots. Bathroom: Communal bathhouses in the middle of each loop with toilets, sinks and showers. Fire pit: Yes, with grill grate. Firewood: Must buy firewood at camp store. Water access: Some, depending which part of the loop your site is located on. Electric: No unless RV camping. Alcohol Policy: Not permitted unless drinking in the Resort or a motor home. Other Features: Picnic table, small wood post counter / hook to hang a lantern on and place a camp stove on.

My new favorite

The primitive sites have a lot of space.

Great Site, Great Staff

Took our new Fifth Wheel for a shakedown trip and decided to try Twin Bridges Campground. Staff was polite, amenities are great and clean, and everyone was friendly and polite. Big spacious sites, and a honeywagon to make things easier (there weren't any full hookup sites the I saw besides the long term spaces). Would definatley stay here again.

Beautiful state park

We had a great stay at Cowans Gap. Very pretty park in a scenic valley between two mountain ranges. Very easy drive from DC. The sites around us were nicely spaced apart (we were in Loop A, site 142) but some other areas did loop more crowded. Nice hike up the Tuscarora trail - pretty steep with a few rock scrambles that made for a challenging but fun hike with our six-year-old.