the dyrt
Algonquin, MARYLAND
Most Recent Algonquin Camping Reviews
Nice for a short visit

Pros: this campground was nice and clean, with decent amenities (including FREE hot showers!). I stayed there on a Saturday, and walked in without a reservation and was able to get a site. They had a few ranger-led events that night that I was able to partake in (a hay ride for a small fee, and a night hike that was free). They were both enjoyable, and everyone that worked there that I encountered was very pleasant.

Cons: the sites are pretty close together with no real trees or privacy in between, at least where I was located. So, I would stay here again for a night if I was passing through, but I wouldn't make this place a 'destination.'

Fantastic

I go here annually. It is a very nice walk about 2 miles to the beach where you can hunt for fossils. The beach has gotten smaller over the years however the trail has gotten much better. The trail now is very well marked, clean, and there are facilities down by the beach to use. They do have a nice park for the kids by the entrance and a very well kept pond at the beginning of the hike to fish from. Highly recommend this trail/park.

Affordable near the Delaware Beaches

Deep Branch Family Campground has both open and wooded sites, all offering water and electric. In addition to a dump station, the campground has a free honeywagon available upon request. Most sites are on hard sand and fairly level. The road through the campsite is a bit tight, but we were able to navigate our 37 foot motorhome. Most of the sites are seasonal campers, and the transient sites are scattered throughout the campground. Wonderful, friendly people. Clean. It is a short drive to the beaches, but the rate is so much better than other campgrounds that it's worth it.

Small campground, large sites, lots of shade

Two thumbs up on this small campground with spacious, wooded sites!

We stayed here on a Thursday when the campground was almost empty, but there was a reservations list that showed the campground would be full for the Columbus Day weekend. We have good luck walking up to campgrounds during the week, but we look ahead to weekends and make reservations.

Spacious, Wooded Sites

- Lots of shade and trees on large sites and space between sites make this a pleasant campground.

• Parking pads on the electric loop are asphalt.

• There's very finely crushed rock on the non-electric loop. This includes the parking pad and tent pad.

• There are 8 camper cabins, 4 on each loop. There are beds for 4 or 6 people, and the cabins have air conditioning, a ceiling fan and electricity. These are a nice alternative to camping in a tent.

• Bathrooms are located in the middle of each loop, and there are spigots on the loops with potable water.

Small Park But Many Activities

• Canoe/kayak launch between sites 46 and 48. The walk to Tuckahoe Creek from the parking area is very short, and the creek leads to Tuckahoe Lake (no gasoline motors) with more of the creek on the other side of the lake.

• Fishing

• 20 miles of hiking trails are also open for biking and horseback riding.

• Archery range

• Disc golf

• Hunting - as a hiker, I am extremely wary of hiking in parks at a time when hunting is allowed.

Great go-to place for a long weekend

The sites close to the lake the end of the loops are large with great views of the lake. Docks for fishing and launching a kayak are at the end of each loop. Well maintained 5-mile bike/hike trail. Live music at the nature center in the summer. In general, very quiet and restful location for a quick getaway.

Best in the off-season

Extremely over crowded in the summer. The park closes daily very early as it hits capacity. The best times to go are winter, spring, and fall. Lights on the Bay is a great Christmas light drive thru that's over a mile long. Great host for the polar bear plunge.

Family Campground near the beach

My kids and I stayed here for several weeks. We met lots of people and had a great time!

Experience the bay.

Great day at the beach.

Small but accommodating

The small loop here accommodates both tent and RVs, which is fine but some of these damn things are so huge, I have trouble believing they could wedge themselves here. The sites for tents are big enough for a 4 person tent. There are clean bathrooms and the hosts, who I have spoken to many times, are friendly and knowledgeable about the area. There is however a great bit of light pollution at night here due to its approximation to DC. Minimal noise except for planes overhead. There are decent trails to hike here too. There’s a sacrifice of space here- I’d like to see it expand a bit, as the campground can fill quickly, especially if RV’s are involved.

Close to the ocean without the cost of OC

Shad Landing,along with it’s sister park Milburn Landing, make up Pokomoke State Park. It’s just 45 minutes away from the beach at Assateague Island and an hour or so to Ocean City or Chincoteague. The sites are varied- some are more apt to hold smaller tents than larger ones, there are RV sites as well- cabins too. Each loop, with the exception of Waters Edge have full bathrooms with warm showers and flush toilets. Pets are allowed in some loops. The marina/ park office has a well stocked camp store as well as a kitchen that serves pizza and the like. Boat rental are available as well (try the canoe loop trail) There have been years when we stay here instead of hotels at OC- much cheaper and close to more than just commercial crap. Besides the beaches, it’s also close to the truly excellent NASA Wallops Island center that my kids thoroughly enjoy, as well as incredibly awesome food in nearby Berlin and Pocomoke City. Each site provides a picnic table and fire ring. Most have a lantern hook. In season there is a large swimming pool- free for campers. The nature center regularly holds programs and there are a few hiking trails here and in the nearby Pocomoke State Forest.

Not worth it

When we camp as a family, we seek out site that provide a sense of security. The campground at Point Lookout State Park gave us the sense they could not have cared less. The sites are small, though there was room for our large tent. There are RV sites a plenty that offer larger areas. The grounds themselves are covered with poison ivy. There is also little to no Ranger presence. We were staying here during a yearly Maryland park event called Park Quest. The site was easy enough to get to, but the immense crowds made the area noisy and dangerous. Alcohol was flowing freely (it’s not allowed in State Park lands unless it’s inside a RV). The noise level kept us up all night and when we called to complain, we were told no Ranger was present and that if we felt it was necessary to call Natural Resources Police “about 45 minutes away.” We found tons of trash everywhere. There were condoms left used in the bathrooms. The camp hosts refused to do anything. It was the absolute worst experience we’ve had camping and it nearly turned us away from the MD state park system as a whole. The only bright spots were the historic areas and the nature center, which was very well done. I think I’d rather sleep in the back of my truck in a Wal-mart lot than return here.

Beautiful, clean, quiet and wonderful place to be.

Its a wonderful place to be. Rangers and staff are very helpful and friendly. Sites are far apart, which is nice.

Gorgeous but some sites are swamps

This is one of the most picturesque state parks in Maryland. One big problem, though, was that the site we had was all swamp. We had to pitch our tent in the driveway, so we couldn’t stake it down. The light house and area has some neat history though.

Fun! Live music/bands every weekend. Right on the water.

Rv and tent camping. Kids activities. Adult fun. Campstore and bathrooms.

Very nice place

We had a great time at this Campground. The facilities are clean and well maintained and all of the staff was very accommodating.

We loved riding the bus to the water park (which is free) but we chose to drive to Assateague because they only drop off and pick up at the visitors center and the distance from there to the beach was a little far. Plus there was so many fun places to see on the island that we would not have done if we didn't drive ourselves, crabfishing and clamdigging can be done on the bay side, but it's a little far to walk with small children.

The campground has enough to keep you busy and most of it was surprisingly free. There are pedal boats and canoes that you can take out on the lake, which you can also fish in. My son had the most fun with just a solo cup scooping up minnows, tadpoles and these crazy jumping shrimp (which startled the hell out of me when he proudly brought the cup over for me to inspect his catch lol). There is a nice pool and a very nice mini golf course that we played almost every night because it was a fun thing to do after dark and before bed. The daytime activities for kids were fun as well and my son even "set the alarm" so he wouldn't miss out on tie dyeing a t-shirt. They also have a variety of sporting goods to borrow at the store, horseshoes, basketballs, and whiffle ball sets to name a few. The playgrounds were nice and they also have a small skateboard\BMX ramp area, as well as a very cute dog park with their own playground equipment.

As with any campground store, things are a bit pricey but I was surprised to find out that their price on a container of Old Bay seasoning was actually cheaper than the crab shack where we bought a bushel of crabs for dinner. I had intended to stop at a dollar general but forgot and decided to check the camp store before going back out and they were a few dollars cheaper than the crab shack and even though I don't know how much it would have been at a different store, I was happy to not have to go anywhere else. Ice is also comparible to Walmart or other convenience stores. However, if you intend to have a campfire, find a cheaper place along the road because you're going to pay about $1.25 per log at the camp store.

Overall, we had a great time at this campground and the rates were very reasonable compared to other places nearby. We would love to camp on Assateague someday but, like Burning Man, you have to be prepared to camp on sand in full sun and put up with wild animals raiding your camp looking for food, lol. Someday maybe, but I would definitely be interested in coming back to Fort Whaley!

State Park, multiple types of campsites/hook ups.

One of our go-to camping sites near Laurel, DE. Situated on Trap Pond and an old cypress swamp. Multiple sites a short distance to the pond and most have at least a view of the water. Sites are water and electric. Some loops have 50 amp service, so check the reservation system for your specific needs. Some pull through sites, tent hike-in area and yurts available. Small camp store at the check-in cabin. Small boat launch area also for canoeing and kayaks. Believe there is a group camping area as well and a group picnic pavilion.

Have been there for several July 4th's and they had an Elvis impersonator in concert across the pond at the swimming/picnic area!

State Park, tent and electric loops, group camping, Lake Tuckahoe

What I like about Tuckahoe St. Park is that the Electric loop has larger back in sites on both sides ot the drive loop. The bath house is located in the center of the loop. A separate adjoining loop has a small playground. Sites are 30 amp only (no sewer, no water at each site). Water stations are located around the drive loop. Most sites are shady. Recommend checking the reservation system first.

The park is located on Lake Tuckahoe, but camping area is not adjacent to the lake. he lake is great for fishing, canoeing and kayaking.

Grocery/shopping and other amenities are 4 mi. to Ridgley, MD or 9 mi. to Denton, MD.

Reviewed

State campground, tent loop and elec. loop on the Choptank River

What I like about Martinak St. Park is that the Electric loop (B) has all of the sites on the outside of the drive loop so you are not looking across the road at other campers. The refurbished bath house (in the spring of 2018) is located in the center of the loop along with a small playground. Sites are 30 amp only (no sewer, no water at each site). Water stations are located around the drive loop. Most sites are shady. Limited sites to fit rigs in excess of 40 ft., so check the reservation system first.

The park is located on the Choptank River with boat ramp access, a nature center and pavilion overlooking Watts Creek which is great for canoeing and kayaking.

Close to town and grocery/shopping and other amenities..

Great for young childten

You have to put your fire out before midnight & they will come around to check. They says it has to do with fire dept. rules which I verified as not true. It’s a nice campground, activities for children, pool. It’s a long walk to office.

Best of both worlds

This campground is about 20 minutes to Ocean City boardwalk and about 25 minutes to Assateague Island, where the wild horses roam.

Your 8 Miles from Walmart for all your needs. This campground does have a local woman selling fruit and veggies during the day. They have a great store with all your needs plus hot/cold food to order. The campground has a new golf course that is free to campers. They offer shuttles to the beach or their sister Campground Frontiertown. Your camping also includes FREE admission to Frontiertowns water park, which is pretty good on a hot day.

The pool is a nice size and refreshing. They have done great activities for the kids to keep them busy.

We will be back.!

Plenty of sites, nice pool and bathrooms

Not many pet sites, nice pool, new bath houses, descent animal resource center

This is a real peaceful campground

We love this campground, it is one of our favorites. On one side of the lake is the campground and the other is a park with paddle boats and canoes

Beautiful Beach!!

great time yesterday with my little guy, playing the the water and sand! I also collected shark teeth… 178 shark teeth to be exact 🦈

2 night quick trip

It had rained just before getting there. A few sites were flooded but most were okay. We stayed on Acorn loop. The bath house was nice and staff were awesome. We did a day trip to Chincoteague and there were a ton of mosquitos.

Plenty of perks with little crowd!

This is our favorite campground! It is close enough to ocean city we can enjoy the beach daily but far enough to relax in the woods! This campground is the small sister campground to frontier town. They have a free shuttle bus to provide transportation to assateaque island, frontier town, and ocean city. Campers here are eligible for discounts at frontier town as well! We tent camp but there are RV sites and cabins as well. There is an arcade, camp store, heated pool, playground, dog park, and mini golfing! The main pavilion has rentals for recreational equipment at no extra cost (hula hoops, balls, etc.) There are also themed weekends and scheduled activities throughout the week! The bathhouses are cleaned many times a day and the showers are spacious enough. The staff here is friendly and welcoming. Each tent site is far enough away from the other that you feel spread out and private. This is definitely a place I recommend to friends and family.

Mostly good

This campground is mostly good. It is a little bit tight. I’d prefer to be further away from each other campsite, which was only like ten or fifteen feet. But otherwise, the primitive campsites were very wooded and nice! Potable water was very close to all sites, and there were wheelbarrow-like carts available to bring your camping gear to your site from the parking lot.

Loved this place

We stayed at this campground August 2017. We had a 20’ travel trailer, 2 kids, and 2 boxers. This was a great place. Very quiet. Checkin was easy. You have to go into the store to check in. Our site was right across the the bathroom facilities which was great for us because it’s difficult to shower in a 20’ rv. So we utilized the bathroom facilities a lot. The bathrooms were clean and had 3 shower/ dressing areas along with several toilets and sinks on the other side.

We were not bayside but close enough to walk. Some site are bayside and right on the water. The sites are big enough, have a picnic table, and a fire pit/cooking area. We also had full hookup.

There is a lookout tower which my kids enjoyed climbing.

there is not much here or in town. We did find a food store in town but bring stuff with you because it took some searching to find it.

events of the weekend. We bought inflatable kayaks and paddles out to James island. This was a lot of fun. James island has a beach area so we paddles right up and explored the island. Not much to do but it was fun exploring.

Also, the rangers run events for the kids. On Saturday they had a crabbing contest. They educated the kids about different kids of crabs and then gave them crabbing line with chicken on it and let them crab. They took measurements of the crabs and awarded a certificate to the person that caught the largest crab. Everyone enjoyed this. There were a lot of kids there too and it made a good fun competition. Everyone got excite to see when someone caught a crab.

Overall this was a fun quiet weekend and we enjoyed ourselves.

Another great central Maryland area

We stayed here a few times just to get out for a bit. It’s quiet, but not too dark, as the lights from DC interfere with the night sky here. The camping loop is small and is shared by tent and RV. The trails are maintained well. I’ve never left this park without at least one tick. No camp store. Firewood is available. Supplies can be gotten nearby. Tent sites can accommodate maybe up to a six person tent comfortably. Bathrooms are clean and showers are warm. Water is readily available.

Great site near the bay

Small by some State Park standards, Tuckahoe offers two loops: a tent/cabin site, and an electric site for RVs. The sites are well maintained. The bathroom/ showers are the cleanest I’ve ever seen, especially since we stayed in the hottest time of the year. There are a few trails here. Nearby is the Chesapeake bay with all its amenities, an Arbouretum that is a bit over priced. And access to the Tuckahoe River for fishing and kayaking. No swimming. There is a Bird Aviary that housesthose that cannot be fully healed. We tend to use Tuckahoe as a way station while camping our way up and down the Bay. I wish it had more to offer. One note is if you’re here for the annual Easter egg hunt GET There Early and make reservations, the campsites fill quickly. There is opportunity to see a great night sky if the clouds stay away.

The worst experience we’ve had camping

We settled for Point Lookout because it was the nearest of the State Park campgrounds to what we were doing( Maryland ParkQuest) The first thing we noticed was the size of the sites. We were told the sites could handle large tents and true to their saying they were… barely. The sites themselves were covered in trash and bordered by the largest collection of poison ivy I have ever seen. The bathrooms were dirty and poorly stocked. What bothered us the most was the lack of presence by the staff. Past 8,we saw no Rangers or staff at all. There were people yelling, arguing practically fighting, and the response we got from the staff was that the Natural Resource Police could be there “around 30 to45 minutes” in case of emergency. People were loud. We did not sleep all night. My kids were frightened- not a good thing for a State Park. In the morning, I found a pile of used condoms and drug paraphernalia in the bathroom and a lot of alcohol thrown everywhere. The camp host wasn’t even there, though the RV they stayed in was parked. We reserved two nights and stayed only one. There was one good part- the nature center offers a great learning opportunity for the kids and has an impressive museum as well. Never. Going. Back.