Algonquin, MARYLAND

Most Recent Algonquin Camping Reviews
Loved it!

Friendly staff. Nice bathroom and shower facilities.

Went in the blazing heat of the summer. Mosquitoes and other insects well controlled in camping area and near nature center. Eaten alive by critters on back side of trail.

One of my favorites

Been tent camping here since I was a child caught my first fish there such great memories. It's also not a far ride to the ocean.

Absolutely love this place

It’s super close to home and I love the small feel to it. People keep to themselves and you feel kinda like your by yourself even though the park is usually full. Which I love.

Great park

Very family friendly park. Close proximity to the beach. Lots of family friendly activities. Full stocked camp store.

Relaxing and beautiful

We had a great last camping trip of the season at this State Park. There are 6 loops with 10 sites in each and then a primitive camp area. The loops are small and sites are close but I didn’t feel cramped and many sites were angled in a way that you weren’t staring at your neighbors camper or tent. We were in D 05 and had a view of the pond through the fall foliage. Our relatives had site 02 and felt cramped but I thought it was fine. All sites had electric and water! The trail around the lake was awesome with some slight inclines but mostly flat. There were short spurs to scenic spots of the pond. Total walked was 4 miles. The trail is just behind the loops so it was easy access. There was a Nature center that was beautiful. They offer boat rentals but that was closed. There was a hayride and bonfire on Saturday night but we didn’t go. A very large field is across from the loops where kids could play. Bathhouses were large with 4 stalls and 4 showers. Firewood is sold at entrance $6/bundle. Store was small. Staff was very friendly. I took pics and video of loop D only.

A Crime of Opportunity

If this campground is convenient - and given that it's open through October and <60 minutes from DC it might well be - this campground is good to go. But without that convenience factor I would not rate this site as worth visiting.

The loop is very small, with all the sites pretty close together. The forest behind the site was sparse, enough so that it was hard to find fuel for the fire and we were basically part of the youth group activities happening. From 8am to 4pm I learned A LOT about what number to dial in case of emergency.

The site itself was very small - difficult to get 2 cars and two tents in - and the fire ring was smaller as well. Though it was cleaner than the average state park site.

We stayed in site 21, which was fine enough except for its proximity to the nearest pavilion and all the small children screaming "stop drop and roll" at the top of their lungs.

But at the end of the day it was $20 (with a $6 booking fee) and for better or worse we never interacted with a single park ranger or camp host. The upside is we could do what we wanted, the downside is there wasn't a sense of community, or regulation.

I'll say I have never been to a site where the firewood is padlocked, and you have to call someone to come unlock it so you can buy firewood. In fact I'm downgrading the review from 3 stars to 2 as I write this - there really weren't many positives about this campground other than that camping is a terrific hobby.

Beautiful Delaware scenery

Ranger Review: HeadSpin Convertible Light System at Trap Pond State Park

Campground Review:

We enjoy camping in the off or shoulder season more than peak because the campgrounds are quieter, however, sometimes this means we cannot enjoy the full amenities a place has to offer. At Trap Pond, we missed being able to rent a canoe, kayak, or paddleboat by a week. Free bike rentals were still available (donations accepted) so we were able to take a ride around the pond (about 4.5 miles). There are four loops plus cabins and yurts. All sites appeared level and some have a view of the pond. Bathhouses were very clean, including the showers. When we were there, they were delivering a new bath and shower facility to one of the loops. Although I did not check it out, there is also a laundry facility. The camp staff was extremely friendly and helpful and there is also a small store for t-shirts and essentials. We only stayed for one night but would definitely consider returning at a time when we could rent a boat to be able to see the Cypress trees up close.

----------------------------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I have the awesome opportunity to occasionally test products. At this campground, we tested the HeadSpin Convertible Light System by Headspin Outdoors. The first thing I noticed when I unboxed my HeadSpin was how compactly it was fit into its semi-hard, zippered carrying case. That said, however, if packing space is at a premium, you may want to decide which elements you want to use before taking a trip to reduce what you pack. Although intuitive to figure out how to use, there were no instructions (maybe missing from mine?). Because of this, I was not sure when the unit was fully charged (the green light was flashing and did not change to solid, but the unit seemed to be charged). We travel in a campervan, so we have USB and electric charging capabilities while camped but if you are tent camping, make sure everything is charged before you leave home (or, if you are driving a distance to your campground, you can charge it in your car using the USB port). Assuming the flashing green light indicates it is charged, this process did not take very long.

There is one light that can be attached to three base options: flashlight, headlamp, and bicycle mount. There are three light strength options, as well as a wide or narrow beam, and a strobe setting. The light is attached via magnets and I found it very easy to attach and detach the light from the different mounts. We also used the light as a stand-alone magnetic mount on our van door and on the metal lantern post; making the magnet system very versatile.

I have a favorite flashlight I have used for over 10 years, so it was going to take a lot to convince me to change. I was very pleased with the HeadSpin flashlight– it is very lightweight and easy to hold, however, a strap would be helpful. My husband thought the strap was necessary since the handle was so slender (this was a plus for my smaller hands!). Also, there was a warning in the packaging about how strong the light is and not to place it face down while on. Because of the design of the flashlight, I would likely have done this, so this warning was good to include.

We had recently used headlamps on a guided trip and had considered buying them to add to our supplies, so I eagerly looked forward to trying this one out. Although it worked fine, it was a bit bulkier/heavier than the headlamp I recently used. I used it to go to the restroom and to cook dinner and wash dishes in the dark; the more I used it, the more comfortable I became with it.

We don’t travel/camp with bicycles, so we were not able to try this mount. I rarely bike at night (if I can help it!) so not sure I would use this option, but it is a good addition, as I know many do bike in the dark.

Overall, I really liked giving the HeadSpin a try. I loved the flashlight, and the packaging is top-rate, however, it is pricey, so it is an investment. Picking up a battery-operated flashlight to find the batteries were dead would convince me it is worth the price! I think campers who like gadgets will like this product very much.

Relaxing and quiet for Halloween

We rescheduled to this weekend after our original reservation weekend was flooded out 2 weeks ago. They never notified us but our camping buddies got there earlier than us and called us. I thought the park could’ve emailed about being closed for flooding before people showed up. This weekend was Halloween weekend. It was quiet with a couple activities planned. We only had 2 trick or treaters. Our site 119 in Hoffman loop was long and very private. Most of the sites on the outside of the loop were private and long driveways. Inside the loop were more open. Our original loop was Greens Loop but that didn’t have availability this weekend. Those sites were out in the open but most were waterfront. Site 99 was gorgeous. Site 97 was long and narrow but there was a Fifth wheel with 2 slides in it. Tulip loop had FHU and no bathhouse. Another loop we walked was closed for the season. Nearby is the Pt. Lookout lighthouse and a Civil war museum, as well as Fort Lincoln. There were piers to fish and crab from in Green and Hoffman loops as well as a huge pier just a short drive or bike ride away. No hammocks are allowed which we found odd. Pets are allowed in many loops. Overall, a nice campground with very nice rangers. Also a small camp store and firewood for sale. No Wi-fi. Sprint service was no good anywhere near this campground. We were an hour away before getting any kind of cell service.

Pretty good

We arrived after dark so really didn't see much and left early and I only took a few pictures while my wife was chasing the dogs around with the little green poopy bags…. Quick take on the place is that it is nice and I wouldn't hesitate to return. The store had basic t-shirts hats and trinkets. Not sure of food supplies other the freezer burnt ice creams, (3), left over from the summer hordes. Firewood was for sale at $6 bucks a bundle, fair warning - it's primarily fireproof as it didn't burn well. There are canoes for rent. There is a nice dock and looks like a great place to canoe/kayak. It was very dark away from the office area but where we stayed there was some light from the parking lot lights filtering through the trees. Not bad though. There was a bit of road noise early on but was not bad and ended by 9pm. Driving out in the morning the place appeared well kept and has fairly spacious sites.

Beautiful place to relax

My sons and I spent four nights on the island site and loved it. We lucked out and had both sites to ourselves which I recommend. I couldn’t imagine sharing the secluded site with strangers. We set up our hammocks on the edge of the water. We walked around the pond and rented boats and kayaks for the day and rowed back to our site which the kids loved. They got to spend the day learning to paddle on the pond. The camp ground has a small store however they close early, so make sure to stock up on wood and ice before they close. They also had a bike shed where you can sign out bikes for free for the day which was super neat. They also have wheelbarrows to borrow so if you have a drive up site you can use them. While we were there they were building a new bath house near the island and cabin sites otherwise porter potties were there. The location is great. We took a day and drove to assateague island which was about an hour. All and all we loved the location we loved watching all the different birds and seeing so many stars. The people were all very nice. We look forward to coming back soon. Oh and if you stay at the island site make sure to be nice to the resident squirrel !!!