Algonquin, MARYLAND
Most Recent Algonquin Camping Reviews
Beautiful views and quiet campground

For this visit, I stayed in one of their two yurts. The views were just gorgeous.

The yurts have a bunk bed with a queen mattress on the bottom and a twin on top, as well as a futon that folds out into a queen. The bunks were very comfortable, but the futon was so hard we didn't even use it to sit on. The yurts also have electricity, heat and air, and are well equipped with other items such as: a trash can, broom and dustpan, standing lamp, two chairs, two small tables, a fire extinguisher, and two fly swatters.

The views should be the huge selling point of this campground. When you walk out of the yurt, you walk onto your own raised wooden deck to beautiful views of Trap Pond. There are plenty of trees around for shade, but not so many that you can't enjoy the view. The trees also seclude you somewhat from your neighbors in the cabins, but you could interact if you wish.

The closest restrooms to the cabin and yurt area are port-a-potties but they are currently prepping to build a bath house in this area.

The cabins and yurts are walk up and wheelbarrows are provided. The walk is also pretty close. There is no running water, but there is a centrally located water pump.

The campground offers a lot to do and quite a bit of it is free: free bike rentals, free horseshoes and ladder ball, two huge playground area and a nature center. They also have boat rentals and a boat tour available.

We will definitely be visiting again!

Great DE State Park

h pull throughat witWe stayed here last weekend in our Class C RV. Hook up was 30 amp with water. Few dump stations within park. D loop was gr sites. There was a little kakay launch right onto the water. Great state park, I run here all the time but never camped here. Bath house/bathrooms we all good. No complaints, and the price is right at about $25/night.

Quiet and beautiful

Easy to navigate through with a trailer. Nice trails and playground. Bathrooms were like brand new. Water and electric on our loop.

Beautiful, quiet, clean.

roads around the whole campground are well laid out. Easy to maneuver around and into camp sites. Super clean bathrooms.

Great cabins & best baths house ever!

We stayed in cabin 33 - which faces the river. It was clean, comfortable, and quiet. Cabins have eclectic, heat, beds, and some have AC (though not #32 & 33).

We enjoyed walked by the water, hiking the 3.5 mile loop, and the proximity to Assateague Island (40 min drive - great for a day trip!)

Truly the best bathhouse we’ve ever seen at a campground! Not only clean - but modern and new. The bathhouse area also has a great dishwashing station (with garbage disposal!)

The campground is fairly open (very little density of trees) and the sites close together. Even though the campground is small - it felt crowded even only 1/3-1/2 full. The cabin mitigated some of the noise and crowd, but I would be reluctant to tent camp here on a weekend or in any site on a holiday weekend.

While we were there in April, it was obvious this swampy area must be FULL of bugs in summer. So we’ll definitely keep our visits to spring and fall!

Refreshing break from the city

We camped here in early spring and it makes for a peaceful mini break.Not too easy finding the inner camping loops, but the rangers were very helpful when we checked in. Electrical hook ups and mini cabins meant for lots of RVs and not as much privacy as I had hoped for, so pick your campsite wisely. Mini cabin D is pet friendly but one of the few. Bathrooms were pretty clean, although perpetually wet floors throughout. Nice washing station for doing dishes, which was a major plus. Not too buggy for the early warmth of the season, but watch out for those ticks. Nice hiking and fishing as well. Didn't see much wildlife, but the stargazing was lovely. One bundle of wood wasn't enough to make dinner, so be mindful of the 9pm cut off for firewood, if you're planning on a camp breakfast before 7am. Overall made for a memorable anniversary. Would definitely come again.

Great day trip

My family and I have been coming to Sandy Point my entire life. It is a great little spot on the Chesapeake river. Our favorite thing to do is to fossil hunt for sharks teeth. In the summer it can get pretty crowded, so we prefer to visit in late spring while school is still in session. August is the worst month to visit if you like the water. Jellyfish take over with a vengeance!

Very historic site from 1814

This is where the British first landed for their march on Baltimore. Once landed, their fleet moved up into the harbor, to attack Fort McHenry. They also moved by water to Washington DC, to burn it.

As their army (almost 9000 strong) moved north toward Baltimore on North Point Rd., they contacted the local militia under John Stricker, (Brigadier General John Stricker (1758–1825). His troops used the heavy woods and brush to ambush and decimate their opposition at the battle of North Point. Most of the 9000 troops never made it to Baltimore, and as we all know from the Star Spangled Banner, Fort McHenry held the fleet.

North Point State Park was where it all started. The park is a great place to spend the day, and is very kid friendly. I wish I could say there were guides to give you a history tour, but you need to research that on your own. Picnics and fishing, with a nice play ground, top it off. You can also see the remnants of Old Bay Shore Park, one of the early 20th century play grounds for the well-to-do. It’s a great place to enjoy the quiet and natural setting of the Chesapeake Bay.

Loved this campground!!

Great campsite! Lots of water access, crabbing and hiking areas!!

Beautiful Campground!

This is a beautiful campground. Rent both island sites for an amazing camping experience!

Easy to get to

Located right off the roadway it's a great place to stop when heading South. Have a handful of shaded pull through sites close to the entrance to make getting in and out easy, especially if you like to leave early to get back on the road. Gated access, playground, mini golf, beautiful lake and lots of family activities on the calendar. It's now our go to spot for an overnight stay when traveling from NY to NC.

Nice for a short visit

Pros: this campground was nice and clean, with decent amenities (including FREE hot showers!). I stayed there on a Saturday, and walked in without a reservation and was able to get a site. They had a few ranger-led events that night that I was able to partake in (a hay ride for a small fee, and a night hike that was free). They were both enjoyable, and everyone that worked there that I encountered was very pleasant.

Cons: the sites are pretty close together with no real trees or privacy in between, at least where I was located. So, I would stay here again for a night if I was passing through, but I wouldn't make this place a 'destination.'

Fantastic

I go here annually. It is a very nice walk about 2 miles to the beach where you can hunt for fossils. The beach has gotten smaller over the years however the trail has gotten much better. The trail now is very well marked, clean, and there are facilities down by the beach to use. They do have a nice park for the kids by the entrance and a very well kept pond at the beginning of the hike to fish from. Highly recommend this trail/park.

Affordable near the Delaware Beaches

Deep Branch Family Campground has both open and wooded sites, all offering water and electric. In addition to a dump station, the campground has a free honeywagon available upon request. Most sites are on hard sand and fairly level. The road through the campsite is a bit tight, but we were able to navigate our 37 foot motorhome. Most of the sites are seasonal campers, and the transient sites are scattered throughout the campground. Wonderful, friendly people. Clean. It is a short drive to the beaches, but the rate is so much better than other campgrounds that it's worth it.

Small campground, large sites, lots of shade

Two thumbs up on this small campground with spacious, wooded sites!

We stayed here on a Thursday when the campground was almost empty, but there was a reservations list that showed the campground would be full for the Columbus Day weekend. We have good luck walking up to campgrounds during the week, but we look ahead to weekends and make reservations.

Spacious, Wooded Sites

- Lots of shade and trees on large sites and space between sites make this a pleasant campground.

• Parking pads on the electric loop are asphalt.

• There's very finely crushed rock on the non-electric loop. This includes the parking pad and tent pad.

• There are 8 camper cabins, 4 on each loop. There are beds for 4 or 6 people, and the cabins have air conditioning, a ceiling fan and electricity. These are a nice alternative to camping in a tent.

• Bathrooms are located in the middle of each loop, and there are spigots on the loops with potable water.

Small Park But Many Activities

• Canoe/kayak launch between sites 46 and 48. The walk to Tuckahoe Creek from the parking area is very short, and the creek leads to Tuckahoe Lake (no gasoline motors) with more of the creek on the other side of the lake.

• Fishing

• 20 miles of hiking trails are also open for biking and horseback riding.

• Archery range

• Disc golf

• Hunting - as a hiker, I am extremely wary of hiking in parks at a time when hunting is allowed.

Great go-to place for a long weekend

The sites close to the lake the end of the loops are large with great views of the lake. Docks for fishing and launching a kayak are at the end of each loop. Well maintained 5-mile bike/hike trail. Live music at the nature center in the summer. In general, very quiet and restful location for a quick getaway.

Best in the off-season

Extremely over crowded in the summer. The park closes daily very early as it hits capacity. The best times to go are winter, spring, and fall. Lights on the Bay is a great Christmas light drive thru that's over a mile long. Great host for the polar bear plunge.

Family Campground near the beach

My kids and I stayed here for several weeks. We met lots of people and had a great time!

Experience the bay.

Great day at the beach.

Small but accommodating

The small loop here accommodates both tent and RVs, which is fine but some of these damn things are so huge, I have trouble believing they could wedge themselves here. The sites for tents are big enough for a 4 person tent. There are clean bathrooms and the hosts, who I have spoken to many times, are friendly and knowledgeable about the area. There is however a great bit of light pollution at night here due to its approximation to DC. Minimal noise except for planes overhead. There are decent trails to hike here too. There’s a sacrifice of space here- I’d like to see it expand a bit, as the campground can fill quickly, especially if RV’s are involved.

Close to the ocean without the cost of OC

Shad Landing,along with it’s sister park Milburn Landing, make up Pokomoke State Park. It’s just 45 minutes away from the beach at Assateague Island and an hour or so to Ocean City or Chincoteague. The sites are varied- some are more apt to hold smaller tents than larger ones, there are RV sites as well- cabins too. Each loop, with the exception of Waters Edge have full bathrooms with warm showers and flush toilets. Pets are allowed in some loops. The marina/ park office has a well stocked camp store as well as a kitchen that serves pizza and the like. Boat rental are available as well (try the canoe loop trail) There have been years when we stay here instead of hotels at OC- much cheaper and close to more than just commercial crap. Besides the beaches, it’s also close to the truly excellent NASA Wallops Island center that my kids thoroughly enjoy, as well as incredibly awesome food in nearby Berlin and Pocomoke City. Each site provides a picnic table and fire ring. Most have a lantern hook. In season there is a large swimming pool- free for campers. The nature center regularly holds programs and there are a few hiking trails here and in the nearby Pocomoke State Forest.

Not worth it

When we camp as a family, we seek out site that provide a sense of security. The campground at Point Lookout State Park gave us the sense they could not have cared less. The sites are small, though there was room for our large tent. There are RV sites a plenty that offer larger areas. The grounds themselves are covered with poison ivy. There is also little to no Ranger presence. We were staying here during a yearly Maryland park event called Park Quest. The site was easy enough to get to, but the immense crowds made the area noisy and dangerous. Alcohol was flowing freely (it’s not allowed in State Park lands unless it’s inside a RV). The noise level kept us up all night and when we called to complain, we were told no Ranger was present and that if we felt it was necessary to call Natural Resources Police “about 45 minutes away.” We found tons of trash everywhere. There were condoms left used in the bathrooms. The camp hosts refused to do anything. It was the absolute worst experience we’ve had camping and it nearly turned us away from the MD state park system as a whole. The only bright spots were the historic areas and the nature center, which was very well done. I think I’d rather sleep in the back of my truck in a Wal-mart lot than return here.

Beautiful, clean, quiet and wonderful place to be.

Its a wonderful place to be. Rangers and staff are very helpful and friendly. Sites are far apart, which is nice.

Gorgeous but some sites are swamps

This is one of the most picturesque state parks in Maryland. One big problem, though, was that the site we had was all swamp. We had to pitch our tent in the driveway, so we couldn’t stake it down. The light house and area has some neat history though.

Fun! Live music/bands every weekend. Right on the water.

Rv and tent camping. Kids activities. Adult fun. Campstore and bathrooms.

Very nice place

We had a great time at this Campground. The facilities are clean and well maintained and all of the staff was very accommodating.

We loved riding the bus to the water park (which is free) but we chose to drive to Assateague because they only drop off and pick up at the visitors center and the distance from there to the beach was a little far. Plus there was so many fun places to see on the island that we would not have done if we didn't drive ourselves, crabfishing and clamdigging can be done on the bay side, but it's a little far to walk with small children.

The campground has enough to keep you busy and most of it was surprisingly free. There are pedal boats and canoes that you can take out on the lake, which you can also fish in. My son had the most fun with just a solo cup scooping up minnows, tadpoles and these crazy jumping shrimp (which startled the hell out of me when he proudly brought the cup over for me to inspect his catch lol). There is a nice pool and a very nice mini golf course that we played almost every night because it was a fun thing to do after dark and before bed. The daytime activities for kids were fun as well and my son even "set the alarm" so he wouldn't miss out on tie dyeing a t-shirt. They also have a variety of sporting goods to borrow at the store, horseshoes, basketballs, and whiffle ball sets to name a few. The playgrounds were nice and they also have a small skateboard\BMX ramp area, as well as a very cute dog park with their own playground equipment.

As with any campground store, things are a bit pricey but I was surprised to find out that their price on a container of Old Bay seasoning was actually cheaper than the crab shack where we bought a bushel of crabs for dinner. I had intended to stop at a dollar general but forgot and decided to check the camp store before going back out and they were a few dollars cheaper than the crab shack and even though I don't know how much it would have been at a different store, I was happy to not have to go anywhere else. Ice is also comparible to Walmart or other convenience stores. However, if you intend to have a campfire, find a cheaper place along the road because you're going to pay about $1.25 per log at the camp store.

Overall, we had a great time at this campground and the rates were very reasonable compared to other places nearby. We would love to camp on Assateague someday but, like Burning Man, you have to be prepared to camp on sand in full sun and put up with wild animals raiding your camp looking for food, lol. Someday maybe, but I would definitely be interested in coming back to Fort Whaley!

State Park, multiple types of campsites/hook ups.

One of our go-to camping sites near Laurel, DE. Situated on Trap Pond and an old cypress swamp. Multiple sites a short distance to the pond and most have at least a view of the water. Sites are water and electric. Some loops have 50 amp service, so check the reservation system for your specific needs. Some pull through sites, tent hike-in area and yurts available. Small camp store at the check-in cabin. Small boat launch area also for canoeing and kayaks. Believe there is a group camping area as well and a group picnic pavilion.

Have been there for several July 4th's and they had an Elvis impersonator in concert across the pond at the swimming/picnic area!

State Park, tent and electric loops, group camping, Lake Tuckahoe

What I like about Tuckahoe St. Park is that the Electric loop has larger back in sites on both sides ot the drive loop. The bath house is located in the center of the loop. A separate adjoining loop has a small playground. Sites are 30 amp only (no sewer, no water at each site). Water stations are located around the drive loop. Most sites are shady. Recommend checking the reservation system first.

The park is located on Lake Tuckahoe, but camping area is not adjacent to the lake. he lake is great for fishing, canoeing and kayaking.

Grocery/shopping and other amenities are 4 mi. to Ridgley, MD or 9 mi. to Denton, MD.

Reviewed

State campground, tent loop and elec. loop on the Choptank River

What I like about Martinak St. Park is that the Electric loop (B) has all of the sites on the outside of the drive loop so you are not looking across the road at other campers. The refurbished bath house (in the spring of 2018) is located in the center of the loop along with a small playground. Sites are 30 amp only (no sewer, no water at each site). Water stations are located around the drive loop. Most sites are shady. Limited sites to fit rigs in excess of 40 ft., so check the reservation system first.

The park is located on the Choptank River with boat ramp access, a nature center and pavilion overlooking Watts Creek which is great for canoeing and kayaking.

Close to town and grocery/shopping and other amenities..

Great for young childten

You have to put your fire out before midnight & they will come around to check. They says it has to do with fire dept. rules which I verified as not true. It’s a nice campground, activities for children, pool. It’s a long walk to office.