Equestrian
About Martinak State Park
No Market
Martinak State Park is located in Maryland
8 Reviews of Martinak State Park
Pretty park, but noisy and dated

Site Details: We stayed on site#19 in Loop B(the electric loop). Our site was large, very level, and surrounded by pine and hardwood trees. All sites in this loop were fairly spread out, with ample tree separation between each one. I don’t think there was a bad site in the loop.

Facilities/Overall Park: The loop had a wonderful, heated bath house which was centrally located and a very short walk from our site. It looked to be recently built(or renovated), and was impeccably clean with very nice-looking showers(which we didn’t use this time). However, there were only 3 stalls and 2 showers, so I imagine the lines could get pretty long during peak season. There was also a nice outdoor dishwashing sink on the exterior of the bath house.

The park itself is rather small, but very pretty and(mostly) peaceful. It’s set on the Choptank River and Watts Creek, with a great amphitheatre and walking trails with beautiful water views. There is also a nature center(which was closed for the season), as well as several pavilions and playgrounds scattered throughout the park. The pavilions were in definite need of a facelift, and the playgrounds were older but decent.

While the park was very quiet and enjoyable during the day, unfortunately I couldn’t say the same for nighttime and early morning. The first night, we were awoken several times by the very loud firehouse siren from the neighboring town of Denton. It sounded like one of those older air raid-type sirens, with a really loud, jarring windup. My husband looked it up the next day, and discovered that Denton does in fact use that old fashioned alarm system to signal any type of emergency. In addition, we heard very loud gunshots from nearby goose hunters right at sunrise. So, you may luck out if you camp outside of hunting season and there are no overnight emergencies during your stay.:)

Martinak is a sister park to the larger Tuckahoe State Park(about 10-15 minutes down the road), and the two parks share and co-host many events between both facilities, mostly during peak season. Upon check-in, the(extremely friendly) rangers handed us a map and calendar of events for both parks.

Surrounding Area/Attractions: The small town of Denton is about 5 minutes outside the park, with a Walmart, a few chain and standalone restaurants, plenty of gas stations, and most modern conveniences. St. Michael’s, a very quaint and popular tourist destination, is about 45 minutes away.

Overall, while this a very pretty park with nicely wooded and spaced-out sites, we prefer the neighboring Tuckahoe SP for its slightly better trails, nicer day-use area with newer playground, and(most importantly) lack of midnight sirens.

Very nice state park

Very clean . Great amenities! On the water. You can rent canoes . Sites do not have sewer but does have dump. Great park that offers alot!

Quiet and beautiful

Easy to navigate through with a trailer. Nice trails and playground. Bathrooms were like brand new. Water and electric on our loop.

State campground, tent loop and elec. loop on the Choptank River

What I like about Martinak St. Park is that the Electric loop (B) has all of the sites on the outside of the drive loop so you are not looking across the road at other campers. The refurbished bath house (in the spring of 2018) is located in the center of the loop along with a small playground. Sites are 30 amp only (no sewer, no water at each site). Water stations are located around the drive loop. Most sites are shady. Limited sites to fit rigs in excess of 40 ft., so check the reservation system first.

The park is located on the Choptank River with boat ramp access, a nature center and pavilion overlooking Watts Creek which is great for canoeing and kayaking.

Close to town and grocery/shopping and other amenities..

peace and quiet

love the trails

Great camping!!

We had a great time camping. Plenty of room for our 22' camper

Great Fishing

Though I live in Texas now, Maryland will always be home for me. Whenever I get the chance to head back, I almost make sure to check out some of the local fishing spots.

This is a great place to catch some good action fish. I've always had some success whenever I've been here. It's a fun place to spend a night or two and relax.

Great for kids and kayaks.

We had a great time with our 3 little ones. They have lots of easily walked trails. Bath houses are kept clean. They have quite a few playgrounds throughout the park, which was a major plus for us. The store was not open during our visit.