Gray, MAINE

Most Recent Gray Camping Reviews
Horrible experience

From the moment we arrived it was just issue after issue. Directed to the wrong site initially that already had a camper on it, had to go around the whole park again to be able to get into our correct spot. Never received a key card for the gate or the wrist bands you’re supposedly suppose to wear while you’re there. They confiscate your kiln dried firewood even if you’re from in state. But proceeded to tell us it was okay to level the camper with the wood but not burn it (riddle me that one). Essentially, it’s their way to ensure that you HAVE to buy their extremely wet pine firewood. The sites have no grass at all, it’s just silky sand that flies everywhere. And if you’re extremely unfortunate like we were, you get parked near a seasonal camper who watches you from their windows all weekend and makes you feel like a hoodlum. We almost considered leaving less than 24 hours after arriving and cutting our loses- decided instead to make the best out of a no good situation.

Woah.

Didn't even make it past the booth with out getting hit with attitude. With all the bad reviews we decided to turn around and not even bother putting up with the negativity she was spittin' ✌

Beautiful place

Stayed here in August on trip from NY . Campground is beautifully set in the woods off of main road . Our site was towards camp store and road so had a bit of road noise but wasn’t bad . Sites are spacious , level , with gravel pads . Campground has laundry and store and is gated . During our stay Maine Lobster foodtruck was parked at entrance daily . If you are looking for a campground near the Maine coast that is close and convenient while being quiet and having room between your camper and the the site next door this is the place for you

Wonderful place

We stayed at Chocorua little while, we loved. The deck over the lake is simply amazing. The furniture on the deck is cleaning. We’ll come back for sure.

Always great

Best place I've camped

Pretty Mediocre

Based on the other reviews, I was pretty excited about this campground, but found myself pretty disappointed.

First, this campground is not exactly "on" the Wild River--it is probably 100 yards away through the forest, but I could barely hear the river from my campsite (one of the "riverside" sites) and of course could not see it at all.  There are a couple of small tributaries between the campground and the river, but there were basically dry when I was there in September.

There are three "riverside" campsites, but one is permanently occupied by the manager, so really there are two.  The sites are large enough, and there is probably 40 yards between campsites, but there is little tree cover, so there is little privacy between these "riverfront" sites--see photos.  I didn't look at the "walk up" campsites, but they seemed to all be up a flight of 10-12 steps from their parking spots.

I didn't have time to do any extended hikes, but did go down to the river.  The banks are generally 6-8 foot drops to the river bed, with access points here and there, so access to the river is kind of limited near the campsite.  When I was there in September, the river was flowing pretty well, but probably occupied about 20% of the riverbed (the rest being river rock).

The night I was there, the occupants of campsite 3 were filming some kind of movie involving women gyrating around in the woods at night, not sure what that was all about.  At least they were quiet; the bright lights were a bit obnoxious, but no big deal.

Bathrooms were fine.  $20 seemed like a lot for this campground to me.

Nice spot!

Great campground. Sites are not too close, clean bathrooms, friendly service. Would definitely return!

Very enjoyable

We stayed here in mid-Sept in our class a. This campground was a complete joy! It's the quietest place we've been. No traffic noise from outside. The path to Pemaquid beach is right at the end of the driveway and not much further to the historic fort. The Pemaquid Point lighthouse is 15 minutes away. Much of the campground is occupied seasonally. We had no trouble getting a level site with several more available.

It is not like on the website

We asked for a site on the edge of Atlantic Ocean, like was described on their website map, we got a train honking behind of our RV and a big construction besides of our windows with huge trucks coming and going all day long since 7:00 AM.
This will gonna be our first and last time here for sure.

Peak Point 2020

During these Covid times overall I had a great time. Staff was very friendly and extremely cautious about their surroundings. Plenty of things to do to stay busy during the rainy days.