The best DRIVE IN camping near
Ekron , KENTUCKY

Most Recent Ekron Camping Reviews
Primitive Paradise

This is a centrally located primitive campground that my siblings and I use often for weekend expeditions. The long winding gravel road takes you away from the highway and deposits you in a serene location that is perfect no matter which season you visit. Each site offers ample space for multiple vehicles and occupants; each site also has a picnic table, double lantern hook, and a nice iron fire ring with a swiveling grate. We have spent many weekends here and have never had any issues with any of the other patrons. Each site is $5 a night, they use the honor system, and they have a pit vault bathroom that is usually in pretty clean condition.

Peaceful tent camping.

In Hoosier National Forest. Clean, quiet, uncrowded. Friendly manager.

Our Very First Night In A RV

This place could do no wrong (we all remember our first time, right?). The staff were very kind and helpful. Propane filling is not intuitive. Very pretty campground.

Local with a twist of Nature

Close to home and close to nature. Overall this campsite is amazing in the sense that its in a very natural setting. The firepit is pretty huge and you can cook on it real easy. By request, you can have firewood delivered here. Would go back.

A campground to come back too

Large sites. Great access to water. 30 and 50 amp hookups. Bathhouses clean and easy access to fishing, local attractions and if you do need something the staff was eager and fast to get the problem fixed. Definately a campground to keep on the revisit list..

Not for us

As soon as we exited the highway we were struggling to see though the immense cloud of smoke that was building bigger denser as we approached the park. We quickly learned that this was from all of the camp fires in the park, it was then we realized that this park was a small city.
The Pro’s - they have every amenity you can think of for everyone including the family dog. The park is located in a cute town with a deep Christmas theme. You will meet a lot of people most of which were great. Bathrooms and other related areas were very clean and well maintained. Daily trash pick up. AT&T cell signal was good.
The Con’s - There are people every where and it appeared that many of them did not know they were in a family camp while consumed beer after beer cussing at there friends and family while playing there inappropriate music very loud (I’m not saying I think they shouldn’t be able to do this its just seemed out of place in a town themed after Christmas, and in a park called Rudolph lake with a heavy focus on families. I think the park can do a better job of controlling this). The electrical at our site was not working properly and we had to run off of a 110 plug we found. The smoke at night was a little hard on the lungs. There is Wifi but it was virtually un-usable.

Small, wooded site

Very small campground and narrow roads. Many sites were not level and some sites were very short so make sure you review the site description.

Also some had sewer hook ups and others did not.

You did feel like you were in the woods so that was a plus.

Walmart and McDonalds were half a mile away.

The KT earns its nickname 'little AT'

The KT is rugged and has lots of elevation gains over short distances. Everywhere you hike there are lovely vistas and lots of fossils on the trail snd creek beds. You're never too far from water, although the quality may differ depending on the time of year.

Watch out for ticks. My dogs and I got loads of them in April 2020 from Leota to Spurgeon Hollow. There are road crossings every 5 to 10 miles, so if you run out of something or need to bail you can. The KT asks that you respect leave no trace philosophy, and I felt most hikers did.

There is occasional trail magic but don't depend on it if thru hiking. I have not stayed in any campgrounds near the trail, so I can't review those, but the trailheads all have adequate parking and signage, and I found topo maps online for free.

Let someone know your itinerary, have a means for filtering water, and enjoy!

Cute lakes, paddlable but not swimmable. Nice camp hosts.

When we stayed here it was like 100 degrees.  Our camp host was so sweet and gave us a box fan to use (there is electrical) so that we could have some relief from the heat.

Our camp site was nice and private yet close to a bathroom.  The bathroom, even though vaulted, was kept very clean.

The lakes are pretty and we were able to explore with our paddle boards, but I wouldn't necessarily swim there.

We liked this pretty campsite.

We had cellular reception so we were able to work and stream music.  :)

There were these cute little lizards that roamed our campground.  Didn't expect to see those.  They are harmless, and probably eat the mosquitos, so we liked them.

It’s Nice

You have everything you need to live comfortably in This RV park. Besides all the hook ups you also have a market!