La Jara, COLORADO

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent La Jara Camping Reviews
Well kept park.

Nice park to stay at. Clean, friendly, and wasn't an issue showing up or leaving. Water, 30amp, and sewer are right next to each other which I prefer. Dirt pad wasn't too bad to level our rig. Took a couple blocks to level it out. Site had a fire ring, and a picnic table with a trash can right at the site. They have a shower on site, we didn't use but it was nice knowing it was there. Driving to the site was clearly marked, we were in the back of the park and the WiFi was about 2 bars. Overall the park was really nice, but the thing I loved the most was the view of the stars.

Only One Night Stay Allowed

This is an interesting spot to stay the night. It is right on the river and there are 1-5 sites with a playground, bathrooms, bbq pit, and a dump station. I'm not sure who takes care of this park but they have done a great job!

It is not pet friendly so keep them on a leash and walk them off property.

It is a free site but you can only stay 1 night max. It is not for tents but it will fit RV's and campervans just fine. Maximum RV length is 35 feet.

The best thing about this site is that it is within walking distance of Three Barrel Brewing Company! Excellent beer and a legit pizza oven!

Clean and Well Maintained

My daughter and I stayed here. While it looks desolate in our pictures, it was clean, well set-up, and a very nice campground. There was a family home on the grounds and a camp host at the entrance. We felt very safe. Each campsite had a nice picnic table and fire ring. The shower house was fairly new and wonderful. Our destination was the Sand Dunes and the location of the campground was perfect. Plus, the views were beautiful!

Place to be for Conejos River.

Best centralized location to fish and explore Conejos River area. Fish Elk Creek and Conejos without driving. Drive up and down Conejos to experience the smaller upper river and larger river below. Many small creeks in area. Make trip to Osier and fish Los Primos. Try Trujillos Meadows. Camping is in good private units. Well maintained. Great camp host. Coming here since mid 60s.

Great place for families

All the best KOA amenities. Love it.

Quiet beauty

Rio Grande del Norte National Monument is BLM land so it is all dispersed camping. You will need to make sure you aren't on someone's property or nearby any roads. There are plenty of turn offs.

This isn't a "get away" more like a stopover spot. I stopped here on my way back North to Colorado to see the bridge over the Rio Grande and so I wasn't so high up in elevation that I would freeze.

But if you can find a quiet place it is a beautiful dispersed spot where there is civilization nearby and toilets at local businesses  and picnic areas that you can use. See map on review.

Be careful roaming at night. The drop into the river is quite deep so offroading isn't just ill advised for keeping the flora and fauna safe…but you as well.

There are picnic ares around the monument too, just not established camping spots.

Beautiful, feels more isolated than it is

We camped here in July 2019 and it was beautiful! We originally reserved spots by the river but it was flooded so we wound up on the upper loop. It wound up being better because the mosquitoes were less bad away from the river. We were in site 15 I think but any of the sites on the upper loop are awesome because they face a large open field with scattered trees and mountains in the background. Our spot had some shade for our pop-up too. They don't want you to fill up water tanks at campground so the community spigot is not made to hook up to a hose, so if you have a camper fill up before arriving.

Some of the easiest to access free sites in the Rockies

It can be a little bumpy going in, but its well worth it. We did alright in a HHR. We camped right on the river, got some amazing starlight, and one of the coldest nights of our adventure. (remember you're in the rockies so bundle up) Our neighbor dog was a klepto and stole ALL our pupper's bowls and toys in the night. :P The site marked is only the first one, there are a ton of sites, just keep going up the mountain. There is one in particular called Stunner Campground that is also free; it was our original desitination, it was just a long haul up that hill. There's plenty of exploring and fishing opportunities all along this road.

Here's a clip of the road in and a little of the site itself.

Great Roadside Camping

This is a NFS site along State highway 160 near South Fork Colorado. They have basic camps with fire rings, picnic tables, and pit toilets. The also have food lockers to protect from bears. The wooden site is beautiful in the Fall surrounded by the golden leaves of aspen trees and ponderosa pines. The highlight is the river side location and the beautiful views of the mountains. The site has a fairly high elevation which can provide cool summer temps and early frost even in September. Surprisingly, the site was half full in September. I would stay here again.