The best BOAT IN camping near
Garfield , COLORADO

Most Recent Garfield Camping Reviews
On the Arkansas River and well designed campsites

This is a beautifully designed campground. Must have had a landscape architect. Not only would I stay here again I am going to do so in September, 2020 just after having been there in July, 2020. We preferred# 5(1305) with its multilevel areas. There are two extreme negatives that must be noted: 1> The road in and out narrows to a one lane road without any indications of oncoming traffic. I don't know what would happen if two 34' fifth wheels were to meet on this narrow section of the road. Something should be done to indicate oncoming traffic. 2> The fee would be reasonable--though still high for campsites with NO hookups at all, but the$9.00 daily vehicle fee added on makes this expensive for sites. The only justifications are location on the river and the beautifully laid out campground and sites. We camped at Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area, Ruby Mountain Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Campsites and Dispersed Available

This review is for the dispersed camping just beyond the campsite. The campsite is small but right along the beautiful lake. But it was all filled up by the time we got there. We moved another mile or two up the road and had some beautiful dispersed camping. In these COVID days, Colorado is overrun with campers but this was still very nice and quiet. Note to those who are new to camping/Colorado…don't drive out onto the tundra. Not cool. Plenty of places to camp without damaging the tundra along the two splintering roads, each of which terminate not too far from the lake. The lake is gorgeous and filled with trout. Also great for paddle boards and other small non motorized boats. This lake definitely gets busy after 10am. The road up can be a little rough, but you can get a decent sized camper or small trailer up.

Leave no trace.

👍🏻

Awesome campground next to the river. Nice and quiet. The road coming in is pretty rough with washboards but I will happily come back again.

Not terrible

This campground is right off the highway so its a little noisy at night. There are NO full hookups or camper site water. You have to get water from the boat inspection station. Not much to see except the small marina but theres a decent hike about 5 miles down the highway at Dillon Pinnacle. The rv camp is sparse with vegetation, no trees. Each rv site is nicely distanced from the others and there is both 30 and 50 amp available on loop D. Cost is $16 a night without electric, $22 with electric.

Dirt, washboard roads are killer

We drove a 22' TT to the far side of this reservoir, following CO98. It was a newbie mistake and I'm posting this to warn others. The drive was beautiful, but once we got to the far side of the spillway, the road became awful. Total washboard and it shook our truck and camper so hard we were relegated to driving under 5mph. We stopped at a campsite for a break. The lake was stunning! The water was a blue that was striking. The north side of the lake was appeared to be protected by the cliffs and I would have enjoyed seeing that area, but by the time we made it back to Highway 24, I was never so happy to turn onto a highway. At that point I swore I'd never go back~ but after reading other reviews, maybe for a day trip. The side road to highway 24 was also in bad condition with major washouts. Driver BEWARE. We had to reattach lights, doors, drawers (yes, all of those things were shaken off, it was that bad).

Great spot

It was great I loved the rock formations between the campsites! Beautiful views of the lake. I did get cell service which was nice. Overall a success!

Lake-side camping

This place never fails. Always beautiful, great sunrises and sunsets. There's bathrooms and RV hook ups. Always a nice place. However it's pretty exposed so not alot of cover from wind. Always great to walk aroethe lake. Paddle boarding is a must if you own one. I'm not sure about any showers, i doubt it. Yes to designated camp fire rings. Like always pack in snd pack out.

Views!

We spent one night here and were very impressed.  It was early in the week, mid September so the park sites were pretty empty for tent campers.  There were a few late arrival big rigs though they did not really bother us.  Bear country, for sure.  Though we did not see any, it felt like we were on the edge.  This was probably due to the signage everywhere.  Bathrooms were ok, not the best but i think that is probably due to staying right after a busy weekend.  Stay in the top sights, rocky ridge.  Found a nice flat spot for our RTT.

Decent campground

Brown's Canyon trailhead is a short walk from the campground, which is nice. Clean bathrooms which is a plus. Fished in the Nestle easement just upstream from the campground--pretty good. Note that the property downstream from the boat ramp is private and the resident land owners strictly enforce it, so fish upstream only.

Nice spot but noisy

Really beautiful and well maintained spots. The road is right behind you so it’s good for one night. Went swimming in the river and it was glorious :)