Sierra National Forest, CALIFORNIA
Most Recent Sierra National Forest Camping Reviews
Beautiful park! Super clean lake.

We stayed for a few days while we explored a couple of the national parks. The campground was so pretty with the most beautiful views of the lake. We fished a lot but didn’t catch anything.

Campsite in a beautiful aspen grove

We went to this site over Labor Day weekend and were able to find a spot without too much difficulty. There is the most glorious aspen grove right next to some of the campsites and a nice home along the River. Beautiful and private camp sites. There was a large group next to us and we were able to get enough privacy.

Great, quiet campground!

Small campground with 5 sites, fires and pets are allowed. You get a lot of day hikers and backpackers coming through, but it is fairly quiet and very friendly. Plenty of hiking trails! Campsites are also fairly large.

Great for all sizes

Spots large enough for almost all size rigs. Tents too. Good bathroom amenities and swimming pool/spa. Playground. Walking distance to town. Great walking paths. Choose to camp under the shade of the pines on a dirt pad or in the clean, parking lot style section.

This place never lets us down.

Alpine Beauty, quiet lake

This is a large campground with many many sites, but most are well spaced so you don't feel too crowded. The campground is maintained well. We stayed in the north-west part of the campground, and our site was classified as a "walk-in site." We did have to park about 20 yards away, but this was totally worth it to have a site literally right on the lake. During our time here, there was a massive ladybug migration which was really cool. Huntington Lake is beautiful and quiet - motorized boats are not allowed. there are a couple of stores, and a couple of marinas on the lake, so it's easy to pick up supplies and ice if needed. On the south end there is a little cafe that sometimes hosts live music as well.

Backpacker’s dream

Maybe this is just a Southern Californian desert rat talking, but there is something very satisfying about hiking in and having a water source at your first night’s location. We had a lovely stay here last August. It was a bit crowded for a hike-in only site but still very enjoyable. The lake is devastatingly beautiful and makes a great backdrop, and the boulders scattered throughout create natural privacy barriers.

Great river side camping.

My last visit to Lodgepole was in 2017 and I noticed the campsites were much closer together than the previous visit. Apparently a large snowmelt changed the course of the river and many sites were washed away causing the park to squeeze them in other areas. That’s was unfortunate but still a wonderful site. So nice to be able to jump in the river after a long day of camping! Also there is nothing better than falling asleep to the sound of a river. Great store onsite and lots of hikes right from the campground. Most campers are very respectful of quit hours but as we all have had to deal with there is always one loud site but they shut up when asked to keep it down. It’s inportant to ressurch the sites to get one that will fit your needs! Some are very small and only fit a little tent. But I really like this campground and recommend it. Will be returning in July and will update then. Happy Camping! 🐻⛺️

Shaver lake is awesome!

It's a pretty RV park. The hiking trails are great, scenery was amazing! There are fire rings and picnic tables. There is a great store that has everything you could want or need! Bathroom review, again: the cleanest! Flush toilets and coin operated showers! There are water spigots and an outdoor sink area for dishes, so helpful! Racoon and squirrels are always around looking for food, so I just use a bear can and store my food,here. It's just easier. RV sites and REALLY LARGE tent sites! Some of the biggest I've been to. The fishing was good, the only con is music is not permitted at all. Bring headphones. You will be asked to turn it off and possibly leave.

Great staff

Amazing staff and location is convenient and has the Fresno river running through along with some hiking trails.

Beautiful but busy

The campsites are lovely with some privacy. The bathrooms are adequate. Everyone seems to stay up late and wake early to enjoy the park. Be prepared for some traffic and long drives to places within the park. The bear lockers are easy to use and convenient. Ultimately, it is stunning!

Yosemite without the crowds

Summerdale is a little gem right outside Yosemite. The sites are well spaced and private, unlike what you will find in the park. My family and I have visited Summerdale about 10 times so far, and it is one of our faves.

Fishing: Can be GREAT! But at times, has been really bad. We've often caught our limit each day (trout) and snagged some crawfish to boot. But, we've also had a couple of experiences when we didn't get a single bite.

The Creek is lovely - good for swimming wading, and has several slow shallow spots where you can put your chair in and enjoy the afternoon. I have seen beavers in the creek south of the campground.

Facilities: Pit toilets, trash service and piped water. All good quality and well maintained. The campground is CLEAN. I've never seen a cleaner campground.

HWY 41 noise: Yes, its there fairly consistently from about 8am-6pm. Passenger cars are not terribly noticeable, but larger vehicles and noisy vehicles are more so. Nights are punctuated by an occasional Harley accelerating up the hill, and an occasional hot rod blowing by. But most times, the creek makes enough noise that it drowns out all but the loudest highway noise.

Nice enough

We were visiting friends in Manteca and this was the only campground not flooded! It was nice enough. There are a lot of long time residents.

Is anyone there?

I tried contacting this place for two days to check availability on a trip we were taking to Northern California. No one answered the phone so I left messages. No one ever returned my calls. I tried using the website contact information but it was not operating correctly and I was able to even send an email. I believe they had trouble with flooding a couple years ago when we tried contacting them so I figured maybe they are no longer in business? We found another place to stay, I’m glad because Lindy’s is away from the 99 and away from train tracks but still only 80 miles from Yosemite Village.

Peaceful stop on the way to Yosemite

We were Looking for a place to stop on the way to Yosemite. We tried 2 other campgrounds with NO response, by phone or email. We decided to try calling Lindy‘s Landing and Campground to see if there was an availability. They answer the phone! She told us there were plenty of sites.The staff are friendly and helpful. There are not a lot of campers here, and it is quiet and peaceful. It is 81 miles from here to Yosemite Village. Hope to get an early start so we can beat the line going into the park. Hidden gem in the Spring. Happy we found this park. $35.00 for full hookups. No good Sam or auto club discount. But still a better price than most private campgrounds

Under the Trees

We had a sweet, short stay at this campground. We called day-of and were able to get a reservation. In late March for spring break, the 5,000 elevation of this camp meant there was still snow on the ground, but the road and camping spots were snow free. It also meant the bathrooms were also closed for the season.

The morning sunrise through the trees and the quick drive down the road to Calaveras Big Trees State Park made this a perfect spot to stop for the night. Great cell coverage on Verizon.

The little town of Arnold you drive through to get there reminded me of Tahoe or Mt. Hood. I wish we’d planned to have a meal at one of the cute restaurants and pubs in the area.

A Family Favorite

Wawona has been our yearly family vacation destination since I was a kid. We never grow tire of it! The river and swimming holes are close by and accessible to all, sites have ample space between each other, there are clean restrooms, and all sites have their own bear box. There's a local store nearby in case you need to pick up something. The road to the valley from Wawona is windy, I'd say about 45 minutes. It's a nice play to stay away from the Yosemite crowds and we'll keep coming back year-after-year.

Beautiful but no level flat campsites.

This is a pretty campground. Lots of pines but no real vistas. Also no real level flat ground for tent camping. Sites are smallish & close together. Running water and flush toilets. 1 medium bear box per site. No showers.

Nice amenities - try to get a spot overlooking Lake Mary

Beautiful area. Beautiful view. Nice restrooms. Good fishing and hiking in the area!

Nice campground , good fishing , and wonderful hiking !

I go to Rock Creek every year! Nice campground, good fishing, wonderful hiking! Stop by Pie In The Sky Cafe to get wonderful fresh fruit pie! Hike up to Heart Lake and Gem Lakes.

My family has been coming here since the 1940’s!

Try to get a spot along the creek! Nice and quiet. Great fishing and hiking! Don’t miss hiking up the North Fork of Big Pine Creek to the upper lakes! Beautiful!!!!

beautiful and somewhat remote

Backcountry camping with several swimming spots, decent fishing and meals and hot showers! If you feel rich, this is a place for a big treat. Tent cabins with basic sleeping set up and a nice spot to sit around a group fire. The ranger talks can be a little much but easy to sneak off and enjoy the quiet. Food is fantastic and the folks who work there are super friendly. A nice loop is to walk in via Tenaya Lake, pass through the Mansfields and over to Merced Lake - a very doable 15 mile one day. Exit out through Happy Isles - about the same distance.

Backpacking trip in sequoia

6ish mostly uphil trek to the twin lakes campsite. Campsite sites are very nice with bear boxes and a locker toilet. Whole area is at about 9,000 ft elevation so it gets cold and the views are unreal

Sequoia backpacking trip

Nice 6.5ish hike out to a beautiful subalpine lake. Campsite are scattered around the edge of pear lake with granite mountains surrounding the area. Trout in the lake also

Backpacking

Easy 3-4 mile hike to beautiful weaver lake. Camp sites are spread out through out the side of the lake. Even spots with no amenities but an awesome lake.

Great backpacking

Really nice place to backpack the lake is so nice and private. You’ll meet a lot of people hiking the pct or jmt our here. The lower vermillion camp has a full store with a bar and tv’s. Also a fair leaves from out to here

Nice lake

Really nice get away. Less crowded than sequoia NP. Spent the day at the lake nice fishing went in the summer and it was really warm the whole time. Sites were clean and drive in. Tables, fire pit and bear canisters on site

Stop after bishop fishing trip

Sites were walk up reservation. With pulp in sites. Had fire pit and tables with clean bathrooms and a camp host. Only 5ish dollars for a site so for the price one of the best! Little protection from the sun though but besides that 👍🏼

Stop on the way to Edison lake

Probably one of my favorite spots I camped. Camp site was clean with a fire pit and table. Had a bear box. We got one right next to the creek. Had some mosquitoes but nothing some spray and fire couldn’t help. Had some bathrooms with in walking distance all around good spot

Fan favorite

Great camp site with lake views. 1/4 of the trees had to be cut down do to bark beetles. Get camp sites closer to the dam side of the camp ground for lots of shade.

Great Creek Camping

The Campsites are far enough apart to feel like you are all alone in the woods! The Kaiser Creek provides hours of fun for the kids and you are close enough to trail heads for the adveture seekers in your group. You can plan a great group camp with some sites close together.