Sierra National Forest, CALIFORNIA

Camping California Sierra National Forest
Most Recent Sierra National Forest Camping Reviews
Quiet and peaceful

Nice drive good place for hard core campers lots of hiking trails to hike up and down lots of places to explore in the falls are really cool good cold water coming off the mountain this is my new spot to camp in until I find another one ! THE SEARCH CONTINUES ! 😎

Good Location, Great Price

15$ a night for tent camping (includes water, electric, & showers). Very close to downtown. It is an open field, some might feel a bit exposed. Very nice staff & clean facilities.

Beautiful, Pristine

This campground is absolutely gorgeous. Their restrooms are clean, the Host go beyond to make your stay comfortable. Aaron and Solice are two of the camp host who were cleaning up before they close for the season, they offered us free firewood. They wanted to make sure we were settled in and were able to stay warm for the night. The grounds are kept very clean. They have easy access to clean water for your campsite. The bear storage boxes are large and able to hold a large marine cooler as well as several other items. You have easy access to the lake and the location is just perfect.

Gross Park

Don't waste your money. Bathrooms were disgusting. Was looking forward to a hot shower after traveling two full days….would not even go there cause it was that gross. You can tell no one who works there cares. The amount of deferred maintenance is astounding!

Easy Backpacking

Been car camping before but this was my first time backpacking - this site ROCKS! 6 mi mild to medium difficulty hike in. Toilets and running water, grills and picnic tables at the site. You can hear the ocean from the tent. No trees for hammocks or shade which might make it hot in the summer. Beach is a step away from the site and from there you can walk north to see some beautiful arches or south to alamere falls.

Amazing experience

I like the place. Specially in the night. I like the way they have safety things.

SO MANY BONUS ACTIVITIES!!

BEACH CAMPING!! It is awesome! Bring ear plugs because it is a popular campground.

The store has everything you might need while out camping and it is literally across the street from a beautiful beach!

This is a LARGE campground and can accommodate all types of campers. There are even tiny houses and cabins for those less willing to lose the comforts of home.

The RV sites are right on top of each other in the entrance but they open up in the back field(we weren’t able to get back in there since we were just tent campers).

They are high on security here. I LOVED the list of activities that were happening around the area. It really helped you get involved with the local ecology.

There is a big gazebo for fish cleaning. Laundry room and propane for sale.

Good

It’s a small campground just next to the lake so the place is nice. But spots are very small so you don’t have a lot of space and you live with your neighbors, no choice. Impossible to find the host and we had to go to another campground to pay! Flush toilets, drinkin water, pet allowed, nothing for your dish, No showers. Nice but not one of the best place to stay

Boating

Great place to wakeboard, jet ski, fish, and BBQ.

So much love for this place

What can I say- I LOVE convict lake. I’ve been coming here for 20+ years with my family for reunions. We always camp but have stayed in the cabins years ago. Used to go over Labor Day weekend but changed to June but the weather is always wonderfully warm during the day and brisk-chilly at night. There are some sites that have a great locations to the bridge that connects to the road for easy access to the general store. Some shady sites and others are exposed to the direct sun. Great fishing in the creek- it is stocked. You can find some quiet spots around the lake to relax, read, and soak up the sun if you aren’t into fishing. Bathrooms and sites are very well kept. I always stop here for a quick view even when driving home from mammoth. Worth it every time.

Convenient, cheap, but crowded

Great for meeting other climbers and super cheap, but be prepared for people driving around late at night, and a line to use the bathroom.

Boondockers welcome!

We boondocked in Inyo National Forest just last weekend, September 27-29, and it felt like we had the place to ourselves. The location was incredible, there were fellow boondockers around, but not too close, and it felt like we had the place to ourselves. There is no water on site that we found, but we knew that going in. Our rig was 58' long and we had no issues getting in or out. We enjoyed Jeeping on the trails in Inyo National Forest, and we enjoyed the peace and quiet. We will be back.

I definitely need to go here again!

This place is awesome! Everyone there was very nice and I made some good memories. There are lots of places to hike and explore around there. My favorite part was getting to see the horses running in the field next to where I camped.

Sierra Hideaway

This campground is for those that love being deep in the woods and away from people. There is a one lane road in and out, no camp host, with no service or available restrooms for those looking for a campground with those amenities. Sites are small and very woodsy (some nestled within the mountain rocks) but have plenty of distance and privacy between other sites. No one was here when we arrived, so it is a rather desolate place in the Fall/Winter season but I imagine in Summer it’s a perfectly shady campground to stay cool. My favorite site was by the creek, it was roomy with access to a beautiful meadow, views of surrounding mountains, and a creek running through it. For those that love fishing this was a trout hot spot, so many fish in this area and wasn’t crowded like many of the surrounding fishing areas.

A Perfect Getaway

Sabrina Campground is the closest to Lake Sabrina without the feel of tourism. This campground is just off the main road and quaint. It is moments away from Lake Sabrina, North Lake, a short drive to South Lake, and about 15-20mins to the closest city Bishop. This campground is so beautiful, perfectly situated next to a creek, and saturated with Aspen trees that are a beauty to see in the Fall season. Every campsite is well maintained, restrooms are kept tidy, and the trash dumping area is well taken care of. Campsites are all first come, first serve. $28 a night for sites and available firewood for purchase with the campground host. There is no store at this campground, so all necessities should be purchased before arriving. This is the perfect getaway for those that love clean mountain air, lake views, waterfalls, fishing, mountain hikes to glacier lakes, and relaxation. With absolutely no cell service it’s just you and nature. It is the perfect getaway.

All Alone!

I really enjoyed this spot. We were the only ones there so we had everything to ourselves. There is a ranger on site that has firewood for sale but he also informs you that you can use any wood that is on the ground. Too many trees to count surround you and create a shady spot to hang. There are trails nearby including one that takes you to Chilkoot Creek where there is a natural showering spot.

Good campsite

The campsite is pretty far back, but still on the road. The sites are a good size and there was a bathroom near our's (#25). There is no running water in the camp so be prepared to bring water with you for washing dishes, drinking and general cleanliness. There is a small creek that runs through the site, so be sure to bring bug spray for all the mosquitos. The site was enjoyable, but you will hear cars and campers driving past you to other sites, so I docked one star. Also, the stars are great out there.

Good stargazing & fishing

A nice campsite by the meadows with some rocky open spaces to lie and look at the stars. The campsite is laid out so each spot has good space, it's not too crowded. Dog friendly and allows RV's, but I don't remember seeing power hook-ups. No water on site. No showers either. Neither was a problem as we prefer the more rustic camping, but it's good to know for those that need them.

The nearby streams are good for trout fishing in the spring and early summer. There's some good hikes nearby too, to Weaver Lake and Buck Rock watchtower.

Overall a good site, I docked one star for the lack of water. It made cleaning and cooking difficult the first night, but we just bought a bunch the next day so be prepared.

Great views

Was here the weekend after Labor Day and it was practically empty. Intended on staying at Rock Creek but since they were full, I swung in here and was pleasantly surprised. Snagged a spot with a great view of the mountains and had the surrounding area and bathroom all to myself. Sites are nice, bathrooms well kept, and it’s an easy location to get to all trailheads.

Cool hide away sites

I had site 61. It was right off the road but next the creek. It was neatly tucked away and was very peaceful.

Very impressed.

We've been coming to the Mammoth Lakes area for years with our travel trailer.  This time we left it at home and took the tent.  We've never stayed in this area before and we were definitely surprised how nice this campground is.  We stay here on a Saturday night after doing some hiking int he Rock Creek area.  This place had everything we needed for an overnighter.  The campsites a spacious and there are quite a few near the creeks on either side of the campground.  I would recommend this place to anybody looking for a nice place to stay while visiting the area.  We will definitely be back.

Nice campground.

Decent campground close to everything you could imagine for the outdoors adventure.  Only stayed for one night to stage for a hike up into Little Lakes Valley the next day.  Has the basic essentials (picnic table, bear locker, water and bathrooms) nearby.  The sites are relatively private.  We arrived on a Thursday night and there were plenty of open sites to choose from.  Will definitely keep this place in mind for future visits.

Clean campground with tons of space!

It was our first time camping in Mammoth Lakes and arrived without reservation at the campgrounds near Lake Mary and Lake George. After driving around we ended up picking site 24 at Coldwater Campground. The other campgrounds were packed, and the sites felt pretty tight. Coldwater was less crowded and the sites had plenty of room. Site 24 was near the stream with lots of flat areas to pitch tents, bear locker, fire pit and picnic table. The campground host was great and very welcoming! We purchased our wood on site for $7/bundle which was consistent with the prices in town. I would highly recommend staying here if you want some peace and quiet while camping. It was walking distance to Lake Mary and several trail heads.

Fun at June Lake

This was our first time here at June Lake RV Park. Easy walk to Gull and June Lake loop. Went to Bodie National Sate Park and Lee Vining.

The owner is very friendly and helpful. The park is small and quaint. It also has a cabin that can be rented out.  There is full hookups, no public restrooms. Even though they advertise there is WiFi it’s a very poor signal.

Perfect for tent camping with a dog

There are better spots than some at this campground, but get in early and pitch your tent.  We settled in a far corner and it was perfect.  Kept our dog on a tether and the ranger was pleasant and very helpful.  I'd give it six stars if possible!

We love this place

Been going here since I was a kid now I take my kids up here too always a fun time

Beautiful!

Huge campsites, ours was right on the river. Gorgeous place! Surrounded by trees and wildflowers. The bathrooms were well maintained. Friendly staff.

Beautiful, great car camping

June Lake was beautiful! The campground was great. We were in the Oh Ridge Bear loop. Our site was well placed, with enough privacy and distance from our neighbors. The bathroom was in the adjacent loop, but was tidy. There is a pay shower and a well-stocked store. They have a free ice cream social on Thursday evenings in the summer!

Beach camping, friendly staff, awesome secluded tent sites.

I was lucky enough to spend four nights here last winter. It was breezy and rained on and off. The walk in sites are secluded and this park has all the amenities including free showers. Dog friendly. I hear it gets very busy in the summertime. There are a few year round residents, and it’s fun to stroll through the RV section of the park, but also fun to go back into the trees and get away from it all.