Fires Unknown
Hike In
Angel Island State Park is located in California
5 Reviews of Angel Island State Park
Campout at Fort McDowell

I camped on Angel Island with a large organized group of 200+ campers at Fort McDowell. To get to the island, you have to take a short ferry trip that leaves from Tiburon, CA. From there you will backpack with your gear until you reach the campground that you will be staying at.

The island is well equipped with various bathrooms that include flush toilets and sinks. This is a great place to visit to get views of the Bay that you cannot get anywhere else. There is plenty of hiking, beach access, paved roads for biking, and tours of the history of the island.

Be aware that it gets very windy and chilly at night, so come prepared with a sturdy tent and warm clothing. Dogs are not allowed on the island.

so far yet so close

There's only 10 sites on Angel Island, so we got a permit by going during the week (24 hour trip out the front door and back) Tuesday-Wednesday. We also took the ferry from Tiburon so factor in cost of parking and ferry boat ride into the campground.

Definitely stay on the Eastern side for less wind but bring plenty of stakes in case. Small island hikable in one evening/ morning so not sure we'll return. Views are great, don't get me wrong, but I prefer hiking over looking.

Beautiful woods & water!

Beautiful open space with huge views of the Bay Area. Woods, water and vistas. Also fascinating history.

Best view of the city

There are only 10 campgrounds on Angel Island, so permits are limited! I had the flexibility to go during the week and luckily there were permits available. You have to take a boat to get out to Angel Island so you have to drive up to Tiburon and park your car and get onto one of the Ferry Boats! One of the great things about the island is they have a Immigration museum (think Ellis Island but for the west coast!)

The island itself is about a 5 mile hike from one end to the other with a very modest elevation gain so it's definitely worth doing. Try to get a campsite towards east ridge so you can get a view of Alcatraz and both the Bay and Golden gate bridge. I would definitely suggest this as a tourist many locals tried to show me the best view of the city (Coit Tower, Golden gate bridge and Marin headlands) but in my opinion the best view is to camp out and see the view at night and in the early morning!

Great view of the city on a quiet island in the bay

There are only 10 sites on the island and being so accessible from the San Francisco Bay Area (only a ferry ride away from Pier 39), you can see why it is in so high demand. When I got an invite last minute from a friend I reconnected with, I had to go. I am so glad I did! The upside of being patient with how far out you make your reservation is that once the last ferry leaves, you have the island practically to yourself. It is pretty awesome.

We lucked out and the weather was perfect for our visit. We hiked around the island and explored a couple cool areas. It used to be intake for immigration and even had some military presence on the island back in the day. Lots of old buildings to explore, in addition to the awesome views of the San Francisco Bay Area from the various vista points and beaches around the island.

I definitely recommend visiting - just make sure you are aware that some sites can get windy and cold at night.