the dyrt
Klamath National Forest, CALIFORNIA
Most Recent Klamath National Forest Camping Reviews
Excellent RV Park - Tent Friendly

Stopped enrolee on a motorcycle trip and the hosts were very accommodating setting us up in a space where we could pitch the tent. A great Mexican restaurant is but a stones throw away

Beautiful place to stay!

I absolutely loved camping here with friends. And we already can’t wait to book another trip! Breath-taking view of Mt. Shasta was just around the corner from our site. Very clean, family/pet friendly, hiking, fishing, and swimming! Overall a wonderful stay!

Small but nice

There are only a few spots and I think they fill up pretty quickly.

Beautiful scenery

This place is beautiful in the fall! Great location and spacious. Gorgeous Views Of Mount Shasta. Within Walking Distance To Restaurants And Convenience Store. Clean And Remodeled Restrooms/Showers. New Pet Areas

More like a city park, that you can camp on

We were hiking the Pacific Crest Trail and came off the trail to get food/resupply in the town of Etna. At the grocery store, we were told we could camp at the City Park. It's a rather small park. Tent camping is ok. There is no room for RVs. The camping area is to the left back corner of the park, around a loop. But people were setting up tents in any green space on the right side too. There's a large shelter with picnic tables and electric plug-ins to charge your phone. Another plug set was on a post near other entrance of the park, opposite the bulletin board The bulletin board had city park rules, and numbers of locals that will help hikers out. Also there were envelopes requesting a donation of $5 per person to stay at the park. It works on an honor system, as there is no one there to monitor the park. There's a playground and restrooms. The restrooms were ok, looked like they get cleaned enough. But the dumpsters on the side of the building were near full and unfortunately left a terrible stench if you were upwind. There's a shower room behind the restrooms. You need to get tokens at the grocery store. The shower room is clean. I was the first to use it that particular day and the water was cold, until the very end. Every hiker after that had hot water. So I would make sure you aren't the first to shower. There are lockers on the side of the restroom you need tokens for at the grocery store. The grocery store, in fact the whole town, is all within walking distance. The town is small. Enjoyed the restaurants and coffee shop. Good food. Good coffee. We didn't use it but heard there is a community pool for free public use. Town is very friendly towards hikers.

Ranger Review: RŌM Pack at Shasta Lake

Campground Review: No matter where you find yourself on Shasta Lake you will be surrounded in houseboats and the beauty of the lake. On the way in (heading south on I-5 you will see Mt. Shasta in all of its glory standing in a blanket of hills and trees. There are plenty of cool places to drive for a better view if you can stomach some hilly land and loose sand, and the spider webbed lake won’t disappoint any way you approach it. When you’re camping in a roof top tent (Kukeman 3 by Tepui) any place with semi flat ground is a good place to camp! Though the drive from Seattle is quite long, it’s worth it once you get a load of the view of the lake and the bridge you’ll soon forget the hours you spent in the car. I highly recommend coming here and tent camping, car camping, cabin camping, or houseboat camping.

Product Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt I get to review some great and often very practical products. This trip I was lucky enough to review RŌM Pack, a blanket, poncho, and tent in one.

This little combo is heavy duty and ready to take a beating. It may start out as a backpack, but as soon as you need a place to sit the soft inside and waterproof outside is ready for the job. I went straight to the RŌM Pack when I spilled water on the mattress of my Roof Top Tent and it kept us dry all night. The poncho feature is very warm, and it was very warm at Shasta Lake (about 80 degrees) so I didn’t get to test out that feature too much, but the pack is very comfortable on your back, as a blanket. And as a way to keep you warm once it cools off. There are plenty of places to stash things (like a snack or a drink)! I’d recommend this to anyone who wants a tough blanket for outdoor activities, but also a durable bag and poncho. It’s very nice looking, stylish, and durable.

Nice but over priced for the condition of the sites

aThis is a nice campground in Northern California with lots of things to do from boating on low MPH lake - fishing - trails around lake and a swimming hole. We've been coming here for years and over the past 5 or so they have let a lot of debris lay aroung the campsites and have cut down most the shade trees but still a fun place to camp i gave it a 3 star based on the price and over all condition of the sites

Clean, Well-Kept & Near Amenities

There are fire pits, hand-pump water spouts, small creek from water spring runoff, bathrooms, and its only $10 to stay. The surrounding area is beautiful, and the town is nearby.

Great site, but long drive back

This is a great Nat Forest campground with a beautiful view of the great creek below. The water is crystal clear (and cold) with a nice pebble beach. Access to the beach is a short walk down fairly steep hill. The outhouse was clean as were all of the sites, with a good firepit and table. There is water available, but a sign warns to boil water before drinking. It is a pretty long drive down basically single lane roads to get to the campground, and you should make sure you have all supplies and no stores/supplies close by.

Private

This campground was empty the night I stayed but camp hosts were welcoming and told me everything I needed to know. Campsite booked was near bathroom and a loud water something or other, but camp hosts were more than happy to move me to a new site. Beautiful land with manzanitas all around.

went to look for big foot just for food but great place to bring family

It awesome and just beautiful and the town of willow creek it great too

Home for 10 days

This place is great! The bathrooms are immaculate, the firepits and trashcans are regularly emptied. The lake is beautiful and refreshing with a very nice paved path to walk around completely. There is a healthy day use parking lot and plenty of fishing spots with a very nice fish cleaning station.

Mountain fresh

Camp right above the river. Most likely, you will have a campground to yourself. Not too far from a glacier lake, so good for hiking. Bears not too far away.

Rustic. Serene. Camp smart. Trinity River awesomeness.

Find a spot and enjoy. No cell service. BOLO for bears and possibly wild boars. Trinity River access, so enjoy swimming, kayaking if the rapids aren't too intense. Pan for gold if you're so inclined. A wonderful area to reconnect with nature.

Secluded Campground

Nice little campground right next to a pretty river.  When I stayed I was the only one at the campground.  The sites are near the road but it seemed to have light usage and I never heard cars in the night.

No running water (unless you filter from the river) and no trash services, just a pit toilet.

This campground is a great place to stay before heading into the Trinity Alps.  A 20 minute drive on a dirt road leads to the China Gultch Trailhead, a popular trail leading to Grizzly Lake.

I would definitely recommend this site to anyone headed into the Alps.

Decent campground with a large loop and smaller loop

Stayed at the smaller loop last June. Bugs were bad but got to talk with PCT thru hikers who were at the reserved PCT site next to me.

Beautiful walk to the lake and close to trailheads

I love Trinity! This is a great place to camp if you’re planning on day hiking since it’s central to a lot of trailheads.

Hidden Gem

This is a wonderful out-the-way spot near Bray, a one house town that is more of a junkyard than town. Ignore it. A mile there are 6 lakeside spots which are perfect for small RVs or tents and 4 more “group” spots on the north side of the lake. Very peaceful and secluded on the shore of a small lily pad covered lake. There are 3-4 small docks but the boating is limited because of the lily pads. Great swimming and fishing though! There’s no water, sewer or electric hook-up so you RV’rs will be boondocking. the Outhouses were the cleanest I’ve ever seen and there are dumpsters and recycle bins.

More RV Park than Campground

We camped in a tent, but most others were in RVs. It was very rowdy and loud at night but the campgrounds are in a good location next to Shasta Lake.

Flat, easy, drive-in campsites near Mount Shasta

This was a great, quiet collection of sites under tall pines. Not far from McCloud and Weed, and easy access to Medicine Lake and other recreation areas are nearby.

Family Tradition

Love going to Lake Siskiyou. My family has been going the week of 4th of July for almost 30 years. It has a nice beach, boat ramp, party boat rentals, general store, restaurant, bar, arcade, laundry. My only complain is this last year the trashcans were changed to dumpsters (probably due to bears), but the dumpsters were locked during times that people needed them so people would dump their trash outside the dumpster or bathrooms, thus attracting bears more than the old trashcans. I hope they fix that before I return next year.

Beautiful, peaceful area!

This campground was a great - and free! - place to stay! There aren’t very many campsites, but if you get there early, or go at a time of year when it’s not busy, it’s not hard to get a site. We went in the fall, and there was only one other site taken that night. It is right down the road from Castle lake, which is beautiful, and the hike up to Heart Lake and Castle Peak is one of my favorites in the area! On a clear day, you can see some of the mountains in Oregon!

Very nice

very Large with many different types of sites. Bathrooms are older but clean. Lake area was not crowded

Shasta is breathtaking pictures can’t do it justice A place to experience lakes streams hiking camping boating snow sports water sports the great outdoors !!

Hidden Gem off of i5

I always stay here to break up the drive to Seattle. There’s a gas station just before the campground where you can grab beer and dogs for a nice night under the stars. The campgrounds are well equipped with grates, picnic tables, bathrooms with running water, and there’s always plenty of dry wood. There are trails to the Sacramento River that are beautiful and a great spot to fish if you like catch trout on the fly. There’s also another trail up to a viewpoint of the crags. On top of that, it’s NEVER crowded and you can usually pick between a bunch of great sites.

Great swimming

Fairly large campground with large Fir trees that provide shade during the day. The creek runs next to the campground which provides wonderful water sounds all night. Swimming in the nearby Salmon River is a great way to spend a hot July day.

Rv Park. Seems like some permanent residences here.

Really we’re just looking for a place to sleep and hook up. Easy hookup. Rvs right next to each other in a small lot, surrounded by permanent mobile homes. Laundry available, close to the town of weed. Very strange characters here. We were approached by several homeless people going through here. The staff/ owners were super nice. They keep food in the rec room for people who are hard up. They had fresh produce in the fridge. We didn’t need any…actually dropped a few of our extra items off. I thought it was super nice that they do this. Not the cleanest place, but if you were just looking for somewhere to hook up and sleep near beautiful mt shady, the place is sufficient.

Beautiful mountain camping

This is a neat little mountain campground with a nice little lake I would have gave a higher score but felt the over charge as rate only included 2 ppl most ppl camping have children with them I don’t agree with the charge per child they also charge per pet and per vehicle after one…:-( The sitters are nice for the most part with a few it no shade dry grass area of the resort

Amazing

Stayed here 2 nights, beautiful campground, bathrooms were clean and stocked with the necessities. The only downside is being close to the freeway you can here traffic but it honestly wasnt too loud, it was only really at night when we went to bed that we could hear it.

Clean and serene!

This is a great camping spot next to a small lake! The sites are perfect, both single use and group use. The picnic tables and fire pits are near perfect, almost brand new, and the bathrooms are immaculate! The entire area is kept up extremely well. The lake is a great spot to do some fishing from either the small docks of from a non motorized boat. A bald eagle has a nest at this site which is pretty awesome as well. One warning, the bull frogs go all night long! I recommend driving the forestry road to the top of Mt Orr, there is a service lookout tower up there but the guy I ran into was very nice and had no problem with me checking out the amazing view, I highly recommend it!