Alexander, ARKANSAS
Most Recent Alexander Camping Reviews
Edgewood Recreation Area

Great campground on beautiful Degray Lake near Arkadelphia. 30 & 50 amp sites with electricity and water. Nice clean bath houses.

Eagles

Bird watching.

Absolutely Sublime

I had an absolute blast while at Petit Jean State Park. I stayed at the Mather lodge and in one of the cabins both of which I loved staying in. The trails through out the park are all great hikes, even the less prominent paths are nice to explore. The hike down to Cedar Falls is absolutely fantastic and more than worth the trek. My favorite part of the park hands down has to be the multiple look out points you can find around the mountain. The views you can find along red bluff drive and at the gravesite are breathtaking. Petit Jean State park is fantastic and I can’t wait to go back.

Friendly Staff

Stopped in while traveling with no reservation on my bike. The campground was full but they did find me a spot for tent camping for the night. The staff went out of their way to assist me with getting a spot, helping me with onsite facilities, and they even made phone calls to assist me with local road closings for my next days route. Very clean bathrooms and shower facilities. The laundry facility was nice and well kept. The park is set up more for RV use but once again they were very accommodating. Although I didn’t use the pool it did look nice a several kids made use of it while I was there. The only downside and only if you’re tent camping there is traffic noise due to being close to the interstate, however it is also convenient if just passing through.

Beautiful area

Our first time in Petit Jean State Park and hopefully not our last! The area is so beautiful and the park is clean. We stayed in one of the yurts. The kids enjoyed the geese right outside the door and at night, the deer came out only feet from the yurt. The yurt itself is was as expected. Only beds inside with one table, 4 chairs and a fan. It does have electricity inside but no water. Outside is a nice deck, propane stove, water faucet, fire ring, picnic table and bbq pit. It also has a canoe available for use with each yurt. The boathouse was not too far away and well maintained. There is a very nice pool on the grounds also. We really enjoyed the hiking trails.

Beautiful Spot

Gulpha Gorge is beautiful. It’s close to downtown and close to Magic Springs. The one downfall is they are FCFS only.

Last minute fun

We took our little camper out to Petit Jean for the first time and it was a blast. We were a little unprepared, so we stayed in the overflow area. This part is not paved and has no fire pit, so we couldn't have a fire. If you have a portable fire pit you can have a fire there. Also those spots do not have a grill, but we have a small one that we were able to use. The driveways to get to the overflow area are a bit rough (roots sticking up through the dirt) and it takes a bit to get level (sloped toward the lake). However, the dump station is very clean and convenient. We will definitely come back to Petit Jean in the future.

Quick Layover in Hot Springs

Greeted by raccoon..beautiful place..arrived late and tent situation was not described well online or in reservation..only reason for 4 not 5 stars

We’ve Seen Better

We have visited Lake Catherine in the past and had wonderful experiences when we were in a camper. This go around we used our tent and the overall experience was OKAY. The camp sites are spacious and typically clean when you arrive. The site we stayed at was a little far from the bathhouse but it was lakefront. The bathhouse had clean showers but the stalls for toilets was dirty every day, even the day it was closed TWO HOURS for cleaning. During our stay, the animals were a little bit of a nuisance because they weren’t really afraid of people so we constantly had squirrels, ducks, and geese begging for food when we ate and raccoons got into our food supply (they ate just about everything) and our tent. The main staff at the marina and visitors center were very friendly and helpful. However we went on an hour long lake tour and our tour guide only talked about 10-15 minutes. We have been on a lake tour before and it was much better so it just depends on who does the lake tour. The fishing at Lake Catherine was good, mostly caught baby brim, rock bass, and a 3-4 pound catfish on a trot line. Unfortunately, we were unable to catch a “money fish” that is stocked at the beginning of the season that you can turn in for cash!

We had a blast!

This weekend we camped at DeGray Lake Resort State Park in Bismarck, Arkansas. We had a blast! DeGray Lake has a lot to offer for groups large and small wanting to get away. It has several camping spaces with water and electric hook ups (about $22/night), yurts (about $55/night), a lodge (about $100/night), a marina to rent boats or buy bait, several daily activities for children or adults of all ages (some free and some about $5-15/person), horse riding stables (no experience required, about $30/ride 1 hour trail), a full golf course, playgrounds, pavilions, overall clean facilities, and a restaurant. Although our bank fishing experience wasn’t so great, I’m sure with a boat it would have been better. And for those that want to make the camping trip into the ultimate family vacation, this park is about a 30 minute drive from Hot Springs, AR where there is tons to do like restaurants, mini golf, shopping, and we even decided to get ice cream at Scoops (24 homemade flavors and delicious)! We will definitely be back for a visit!!

It is no more !!! We drove by it June 14, 2019 at 2pm and it is currently being Bull Dozed over...

It is Leveled as of June 14, 2019 at 2pm… Don't know what is going in there…

One of the best

Absolutely one of the very best campgrounds we've ever stayed. Beautiful Hot Springs nearby

Not meant for big rigs.

Sites are poor, at best. Concrete is broken and gravel is used to fix problem. Gravel was new and not packed…almost got my rig stuck. Electric hook up was okay…water and sewer were in need of repair.

Very Nice

A great spot to get away! All sites are predominantly shaded. Most have 50amp/full hookup. Some are 30amp/water only. Satellite signal may be an issue with some sites due to the trees. All sites are paved and also have a tent pad.

Crystal clear water

We had a great time camping at lake oauchita state park. The water water wad beautiful and clear, the bath house was clean and the campgrounds were well maintained. We've already reserved a site for this summer.

The waterfall was beautiful

We really enjoyed our stay at lake catherine. We hiked to the waterfall with 5 children all under the age of 6 and it wasn't too bad. The campground was nice.

Great time!

We had a great time at Degray, it wad our first family camping trip. The park was nice including the swimming area. The only downfall was that the site we stayed at (unfortunately I don't remember the number) was close to a busy highway. We would definitely go back but not stay in the same spot.

Great Quiet Place to Stay

We stayed here with our dog and the place was super friendly. It felt like being in the forest. It had many trees that provided a lot of shade. It’s secluded but just minutes away from everything you could need. The park is clean and quiet and was very very enjoyable.

We love this place

My family and I love this little home away from home, once you find it you are great.

Shady areas, sandy beaches make you feel like your in paradise 💕💕

Only con I can think of is it is extremely busy, every time we go they are always so booked out and always a ton of people but other then that it’s great

A little slice of Heaven

This was our first trip here - brought our 23 Ft camper and stayed in Loop C. The well-Manicured and large sites under the tall trees and pines were Top-Notch! Many sites were on an incline, so there was a lot of terracing w great use of railroad timbers and crushed rock. Most sites were FULL HookUps. All had crushed rock pad for tent.  Loop A which was NOT waterfront was heavily tree’d and huge sites as well.  Restrooms were always clean and well stocked w TP and hand soap.

Kayak rental was cheap (and didn’t charge extra for staying out longer!)

We were BLOWN AWAY and can’t wait to make the long drive from Austin Tx again :-)

Amazing Hosts!!

This is a really nice campground!! The charge about $20 for tent camping, which is what I did. They have a pool and very clean bathhouse and laundry facility! Owners are super nice people that seem willing to work with us on anything. Even offered us popsicles after biking here! Not much around for shopping but there is Caddo Valley about 1.2 miles away that has fast food and gas stations. A little bit of road noise from interstate but that’s my only complaint!

Spacious sites

Lake Catherine provided a relaxing spring break! Beautiful scenery, nice hikes and very peaceful. The campground was quiet. Bathhouses were in good shape. Lots of space between sites to play frisbee, etc.

There were some hiking trails with varying levels of difficulty. You need to be part billy goat for part of it. I recommend the path that runs along the lakefront and heads back to the waterfall.

Only downfall was seeing the factory across the lake.

Great Placew for camping

We stayed in the Yurt and it was  great.   The lake is beautiful and it was quiet.  There was actually a camp host nearby.  Didnt get to go fishing, but it looked very good.  Very close to Hot Springs depending on where you come in from.  We'll be going back.

Quiet campground

Clean little campground. Cost $15 a night. The campground host came to our site more than a couple times so quiet time was visiting time a few times…. we did great fishing with minnows.

City views!

Great parking with easy access to Little Rock by walking across the bridge. Bathhouse isn’t very good so plan on showering in your RV. Good pavilion space for hosting events.

Better by the River

Get a site by the River on the east side of the park. Bathhouses clean. Crowded on Holidays since close to the City.

Nice for families on weekend; retirees during the week

Nice large sites with centrally located clean bathhouse. Nice swimming beach; good fishing for trolling motors only.