Clarkdale, ARIZONA

Most Recent Clarkdale Camping Reviews
Zero

Zero do not stay

Horrible

We paid for a premium deluxe site Propane tank was empty so we couldn’t grill dinner We bought wet firewood from campground to try to grill supper The site was unkept w piles of pine needles It needed a lot of upkeep Needed the pavers replaced it was an extremely hazardous situation tripping hazard as one of our party members had just had ankle surgery Giant piles of pine needles knee high by trash cans at site. Went to dump our tanks in the am and the sewer was clogged We have stayed here several times We will not return due to the rude manager girl in the office.

Free & Quiet

Snow when we arrived at night, but there were a few RVs and campers just north of the exit and off the road. You could head back further and get quieter.

Peaceful in late April

Great camp site for tent campers!

55+ RV Park with lots of shade

If you want a shady site in a cooler location, this is it. The temperature was consistently 5 degrees below the towns of Camp Verde and Cottonwood. However, the trees that provide the shade also may block access to satellites.

The staff and volunteers are very friendly and helpful. If you pull a trailer there is room to unhook and drop it off at both ends of the village.

Social activities are scheduled, and there are several national monuments to explore nearby.

Awesome site right off the main road

This site was close enough to the city while being far enough away to enjoy the surrounding nature. For the coordinates given, this site does have a short stretch of road that may need a vehicle with higher clearance, just a heads up. There is a nice fire ring and a place to park 2-3 cars max.

A great site

This site is great for large groups because it is far enough away from other sites and has sites 10/11 right by each other so you can get a fairly large group in if you’d like! Lots of open space and 2 fire rings for the 2 different sites.

Poor

We reserved a premium site No gas in the bbq had to purchase firewood for our grill to make supper The site was not level and horrible! 3 huge piles of pine needles the bricks for the patio were not level and tilted over on the edge (someone can hurt themselves) The morning we decided to drain our grey water thank god we didn’t pull the black water the drain was clogged ! We were extremely disappointed The evening staff was great the morning staff was out of control

Such an amazing site!

We got to drive straight up to the cliff-face and camp out for the night. We woke up to an amazing view and it was just a great view over Sedona and the beautiful landscape!

Awesome night of Car camping

Found a spot very easily, even at night. Had plenty of space for large or small groups. Far enough out of the city to be peaceful, but close enough to be an easy drive into town!

Camped out for the Overland Expo

Had an awesome time camping with some fellow Overlander's! Plenty of campsites with lots of trees for hammocks, and plenty of ground space for tents and cars. Nice fire rings are available, water spouts, as well as portable bathrooms right near the campsite. The campsites are surrounded by trees, but it can be windy.

Had an awesome weekend of camping all around Arizona!

We found a dispersed campsite right of Senator Hwy in Prescott AZ by Wolf Creek. It was somewhat difficult to get to, but it is possible in a 4x4 and good ground clearance. There were nice fire rings already made and plenty of space for multiple tents if wanted! Plenty of trees for hammocks and plenty of ground space for tents.

Had a blast out in Flagstaff

Went climbing out at the Pit in Flagstaff for the day, then we came and camped out not too far away! The site had plenty of trees for hammocks, as well as tent sites. It was easy to access for not just 4x4 vehicles and was a nice and quick drive from the main road.

Convenient location, typical RV park

Williams, AZ was in the right location for us to stop in at this park for a few days. We ended up getting some work done on the RV and stayed longer than we originally planned! This is a typical RV park. It is nice that it is right in town so everything is super close. It made grocery runs super easy. There is also a hotel that the property owns and you are welcome to use the hotel amenities if you are a guest in the RV park. They have a train that leaves from here to go to the Grand Canyon. We didn’t do it, but it is really popular. They even have a kennel on site so if you take the train you can kennel your dog. We used Passport America and it made the rate really affordable for what it is. With temperatures below 15 degrees, we are happy to have hookups to run our space heater! The sites are full hookup and there is a nice bathroom/shower facility on site too.

Ranger Review: Banner and Oak Neck Gaiter at Pumphouse Wash

Campground Review:

Couple things to say about this campground… it's dispersed but in numbered lots and unless you have a high clearance 4x4 you must enter from West (89A). The road continues through to I-17 but crosses a few washes that would be rough for anything shorter than a stock 4runner. (Mine has a 3 inch lift). No big rocks to climb; just big tire swallowing ruts.

Product Review:

First time owning or using a neck gaiter. I'm on the bigger side so is not likely I'll wear it when I'm not actually using it. When I was using it for dust control it was great. Out on the trails I get passed by side-by-sides all the time. My 4runner can go almost anywhere but on the slower side. So I'm frequently sucking side-by-side dust. I'm not upset enough by it to roll up my windows. (Can't miss out on the smell of the mountains.) The neck gaiter helped me cut down on the dust I inhaled while still enjoying the crisp air.

Fall Colors in Sedona!

We had a great experience in Cave Springs. Beautiful sites with privacy, great amenities, helpful staff, and proximity to everything Sedona. Protect food from Skunks. Bring a hammock. Lots of trees to hammock camp here.

Scenic and friendly

I just spent two nights here with my family and I left telling my wife that we’ll return again. When we checked in the staff helped us pick the site we wanted by touring us around in a golf cart. We got space 1A which is somewhat close to the bathrooms, the pond, and a nice chair swing. At night the sound of the creek provided nice white noise to fall asleep with.

Our site had a 30 amp hookup, water, and sewer.

This is a great campground for families as there’s lot to do on site. From the pool, the playground, the creek, and the nightly skunk viewing, this place keeps young ones entertained.

If there was one down side I’d have to point out it’s that there is absolutely zero cell service on site and I had trouble even getting radio stations in my camper. That said, that isn’t a bad thing when you’re trying to get away and camp. There is wifi near the office if you really needed it.

Great campsite

Perfect campsite for last minute camping trips. I always stop here before heading to flagstaff for snowboarding. Great campsite to see. Make sure you take out your trash and don’t leave it on the ground. Other then that a beautiful campsite with tons of the trees.

Very Quiet

Very nice RV park almost to quiet. All the amenities you would need and fairly close to everything.

Private and clean

Beautiful pine area with a quick hike to the Lynx Lake. Concrete tables and fire pits with grills. We stayed in #14 and it was several steps to the actual camp site. Not recommended for car campers, but away from the road and private.

Camping in the town

This campground is very close to the town of Prescott and was quite busy! It didn’t quite give us the feel of being in nature with so many people and cars on the near by freeway. We did have a campground that backed to an open area which was excellent but still not as relaxing as other campgrounds I’ve been too. Site 15 is extremely uneven, see picture, it was our first time needing to level to this degree. Picnic table and fire pits were in good shape. Overall not too bad but won’t be returning.

One of our favorites in AZ!

Where to begin? Bring your bicycles, kids, horses, and a great attitude and you and have nothing but fun here very clean very well maintained nice helpful people.. it's close to anything you want to go to Jerome the ruins the casino Sedona it has all the amenities that you would want to take care of you your family or any gifts that you have with you..

Really nice facility. Great bathrooms and showers. There's an area to take the little ones down to river where they play in the water safely,. Dogs are welcome and the playground has a really fun mini zip line. The place is well-maintained, especially the restrooms. Camp hosts were welcoming and knowledgeable about hiking. Fun place to hike.

Sedona at it's best!

Cannot get enough of this place! Beautiful campground hidden amongst tall pine trees and nestled between a mountain and A creek. The pit toilets are the cleanest I ever seen, very well vented so no smells. The camp sites are not very spacious so u will hv to choose them carefully if u are bringing an RV. All back in parking no pull thrus. The hosts and rangers are very friendly and informative.

Staff is friendly, informative and the grounds are meticulous. Not to mention the obvious of the soul of Sedona! Bubbling creek, fishing and wonders of nature. Love to visit again.

Great family campground in beautiful surroundings

Stayed here with my 2 year old granddaughter. Plenty of other kids to play with. A combination of tents and RV's.

Beautiful area, playground and swimming pool, right on the creek which is accessible for swimming.

Restrooms were very clean. Did see some small trash on the campground and would have expected that to be cleaned up. The pool area needs repairs and updating, but nothing that would stop me from swimming.

Lots of dogs and did see dog waste that the owners didn't pick up :(

Overall a great stay for families. Would not recommend during the summer or weekends if you don't want to be around kids.

Very clean and quiet

Great campground for a quick get away! Always clean and quiet. The hiking trails are nice too!

Great campground

We love this campground. It has everything you would need to camp in the woods. There is water to fill up if needed but showers available for a fee also. There are spots you can reserve 6 months in advance on the website. Amazing that there is a dump station available. We always drive to Ashurst Lake for fishing.

Close to Sedona but worlds apart!

Stopped here on our way back to California from Colorado. It was the middle of August so we were looking for somewhere with some water and shade and we found both. It is definitely a popular campground with lots of families but if you can get a spot it is an amazing little retreat. We were tent camping and had plenty of shade and only a short walk to the creek (it is a creek not a river but still nice to put your feet in and cool down). Put toilets but they were well maintained for how crowded the campground was. Despite the crowds, a lot of the campgrounds are decent size and even if not secluded give you some space. Not my favorite destination but for the area and price it was amazing.

Amazing hiking trip

Beautiful swimming and hiking. Now permits are required but it is really a unique spot. They have been getting tighter on restrictions. If people keep leaving trash then I’m sure they’ll completely close it someday. Pack in/pack out. I lost all of the pictures from this trip but the water is comparable to Grand Canyon/Havasupai, just on a much smaller scale. The high mineral content “fossilizes” the sticks and leaves that sit in the water.

Ranger Review: Grub Stick at Pivot Rock Canyon

Campground Review: This is dispersed camping in Coconino National Forest. There is camping throughout this area and it is all dispersed. Some spots are better than others but everything is pretty awesome. Tall pines all around, lots of exploring room for kids. The camping areas are all pretty open and there are plenty of spots to park a trailer or RV. This is just open forest so there is nothing for resources or amenities. There are spots higher on the ridge and also a few amazing places to camp right in pivot canyon. It has been an especially dry year but the canyon is shaded and was very green.

There is some great hiking especially through the canyon. If you follow the canyon about one mile from the road, then go down and right onto a cow trail, you can get to Pivot Rock Spring. We weren’t able to make it that far because we had so many little kids with us this time. This is also very close to Strawberry and Pine which have a perfect small town feel. You can stop at the lavender farm, buy local honey, and they have little festivals pretty often.

Something to note is that Tonto National Forest is usually fire restricted this time of year but Coconino is not. This site is barely into Coconino. It is still very dry so be careful with it!

Product Review: Grub Stick As a Dyrt Ranger I get to try out awesome new gear from outdoor companies. This trip we cooked with our new Grub Stick set. I love cooking over a campfire, and that is what Grub Stick is all about. The kids also had fun roasting. Definitely be aware that these are hot sharp pieces of metal so of course we had a close eye on them. Like any roasting get your fire going for a while until you have a nice bed of coals, that will cook better and cleaner than big flames and smoke. The handles are heavy duty and extendable and the different heads are easy to exchange, even when hot. Grub Stick really planned well on giving you what is needed in the moment. The hot pad, and grabber were very useful. We started out with grilled cheese sandwiches in the Grubcage and Burgcage. They worked great and you can see I was even about to prop a few up on the rocks whichever I got the next batch ready. For dessert we did s’mores. Roasting the whole s’more got the chocolate all melted and toasted the crackers too. I was a little doubtful that the marshmallow would roast enough but it did well. If you’re into perfect browned marshmallows, I would roast them separately. Next we used the Grubpocket, which is the short metal cylinder. Now I was really excited for this one. My wife’s family has always made “woofems” which are made from wrapping crescent roll dough around a dowel on metal rod. You roast it and then fill it with pudding, berries and whipped cream. So with the Grubpocket, they cook much faster and the best part is that the interior cooks too. We’ve always had the problem of a doughy middle. I filled mine with chocolate pudding and bananas. It was amazing. I did butter the stick first and I would suggest that or else the dough can get stuck. There were a few other tools that we are looking forward to using next time including the bacon clip and the Grub Tube. I love the simplicity of the product. It makes campfire cooking easier and pretty fast. I saw the recipes on the site and some of them seem a little over the top. I like that the tools simplify the process for me. I also love the durable carrying case that easily fits everything.

Good place in the mountains

Very large site, a bit off the highway and not well marked but once there it’s pretty great. Fire rings and picnic tables as well as plenty of shady trees make this campground nice and easy.