Gage , ALABAMA

Most Recent Gage Camping Reviews
So nice and renovated

We camped here May 2020 and it was our first trip in the new trailer. Arrived in the fog at night and realized we didn’t have cell service around our site but I was proud that we conquered the backing up and hooking up with no issues. We were impressed by all their new updates to the campground, and it was just a beautiful campsite where we were I believe it was S5 in the #1 campground loop. We were also impressed by the mountain bike trails. We heard they were updating the WiFi soon after we stayed, so looking forward to going back.

Had a blast

We had such a great time. We stayed at the lower improved campground and enjoyed it. The RV next to us said the upper improved campground is even nicer, but because they are gated, we couldn't drive through to see. Because they are gated, there is little traffic driving through. We enjoyed the playground and the lake with the kids. This is a place we will be back for sure.

Hiking with the boys

After seeing so many massive mountains out west this was a little disappointing but still fun!

Great Park

Camped in upper level and found site clean,level and quiet. Good hiking trails. Great place in Spring and Fall.

High quality campsite

Very well maintained campsites. Stayed in upper improved site 12 which was close to the facilities and has direct access to the trails.

Unfortunately, it was super foggy and wet the entire time we were there. But it doesn’t change the quality of the campground.

Beware, it is a solid 30 minute drive off of the highway. Also, they have a well stocked little shop but wood is expensive up there at $10/bundle (and there are no other options because you are in the middle of nowhere).

We are hoping to go back when it is clear!!

Protected Campsite

Check out my photos below to get a better look at this site and pull up my other reviews of Cheaha for my take on hiking in the area. This site specifically is a nice protected area a short way off the trail near the intersection of the Pinhoti and the Odum trail. It is not far from a water source though the water is seasonal and can be very low in winter. Be prepared to not have water for pumping and bring extra in dry times. The site itself is well cleared and has an established fire pit. There are also several large boulders that work well to block the wind and make this a more comfortable space in bad weather or when it is cold out.

Small car camping site

This is a cute car camping site that we have stayed at several times. It provides great access to hiking in Cheaha and is perfect as a home base for adventures in the area. It was actually closed for COVID when we were there but I believe that it is now reopened. I would definitely check online to make sure it is open before planning to camp here. I would definitely suggest this site over the main Cheaha campgrounds since it is more private and primitive which I prefer. Not a great site for RVs though.

Well maintained shelter

This is a review for the backpacking shelter located along the Pinhoti trail in Weogufka State Forest. This is the closest camping site to the Southern Terminus of the trail and is a great overnight option. The shelter is has a platform that goes around 3 walls on the inside which is enough space for about 3 people to stay comfortably. It is also very well maintained and has a logbook. Additionally, another nice feature of this site is the picnic bench and large firepit situated out in front of the shelter. There is also incredibly easy water access since the shelter sits alongside the creek. When we were here recently there had just been a hurricane that came through a couple of days earlier and there were a ton of trees down. But it seems like there was already maintenance in process to clear the area out. Just be aware that this made it hard to find the trail at points so come prepared with a map. Check out my video review below to get a better look inside the shelter.

Easy water access

This is a nice sized campsite alongside the river right off of the Chinnabee Silent Trail. Check out my video below for my take on this site. It is definitely one of the larger and more developed backcountry sites along the trail and is far enough back from the river to not have to worry about flooding. I also liked how close it is to the waterfall so you could set up camp and go for a nice evening swim before cooking dinner. It's probably not the best option if you only have a hammock to sleep in but for a tent it is perfect. If you are not an early riser be aware that this site is right alongside the trail so you may hear people who get out on the trail in the morning. Overall, there are many sites to choose from along this trail and most of the year you will have your pick. If you are backpacking in the busy season though this is a great site if you can get it early.

Review Update

I was back at this site again over the summer and got some updated photos and I wanted just to refresh my review. There was ample water for pumping while there this time and I wanted to share that this is by far one of the best sites in the area for large groups. If you are coming with a church or boy scout group you can't beat the space that this site provides. It is also at the intersection of multiple trails which makes it perfect for backpacking loops.