Swede Heaven, WASHINGTON

Camping Washington Swede Heaven

Most Recent Swede Heaven Camping Reviews
Great camping and hiking

Washington Park is a nice clean park with 3 loops. 1 loop for non hookups. Most of these sites are on the outside of the campground and provide good privacy. The outer hookup loop A has some great spots. Most sites back up to the forest and have nice privacy. The park rangers come around several times a day to check reservations and bring wood. They have a great map so you can explore the many trails in the park. There is also a beach and boat ramp near the campground. We have stayed there several times during the covid19 shut downs. Will go again after we explore other campgrounds in the area.

Lots of Fun and History

This is probably one of the coolest places to visit. It is an old army base with all sorts of bunkers to explorer.  As I Boy Scout, this was one of our favorite places to camp each year. On top of the hill are bunkers that stretch probably a quarter-mile and are perfect for playing an ultimate game of capture the flag.

There is also beach access and plenty of historic buildings to check out. They have two campgrounds, one down by the beach and the other up top.

Very Pleasant 1st RV Park Experience

Loved this RV Park. The staff was very friendly and helpful as we were first timers with absolutely no experience. We also visited during the start of the COVID-19 Pandemic which made their efforts to ensure we enjoyed our time even more appreciated. Follow us @therv_gans on IG more more pics of this RV Park as well as our journey and transition to full time RV Living! #freedom

Lakeside campsites that can be reached by foot or by boat

Seems like these sites are quite popular. However, I went during the middle of the week, on a slightly rainy day, at the end of August and was the only person there.

If you're like me and not from Washington, remember to get a discovery pass (~$10 per day) if you're parking at the Baker Lake Trailhead. The hike in to Maple Grove is approx. three and a half miles. Don't be surprised if you run into some folks on horseback.

The trail is relatively flat and goes through some beautiful old growth forest. We got a spot right by the lake that was flat and soft. All of the sites had fire pits and seemed pretty dispersed. There were also bear boxes.  The vault toilets were some of the cleanest I'd seen.

As you can see from some of the photos, there's a dock that you could boat up to that doubles as a great place see Mt. baker.

Scenic, lake-side sites with fantastic views

There are only two downsides to this campground--bugs during the summer and prohibitions on fires at Watson Lakes. If you can overcome those issues, the views alone make the camping at the second of the Watson lakes well-worth it. You'll also need a discover pass (Day ~$10, Annual ~$30) to keep in the dash of your vehicle while its parked.

As the other reviewer stated, it's a slow drive up the pot-hole filled gravel road, but once you reach the parking lot it's approximately 2.5 miles down to Watson lakes. There were delicious berries along the trail leading up to the lakes and plenty of opportunities to stop and enjoy the view on the hike down. We stayed along the second Watson lake during the middle of the week and saw few people and even fewer campers. There are numerous rock outcroppings with flat ground for camping all along the lake. You'll have to treat all of your water (the lake is right there and there's a stream nearby) and there's a mountain toilet down by the lakes.

Quiet campground next to a scenic river near fantastic day hikes

I stayed at this campground during a visit from the east coast, and I have to say it's hands down one of the finest places I've ever stayed. My cousin and I stayed two nights and used Marble Creek as a jumping off point for a couple of day hikes that I'd absolutely recommend (assuming no wild fires to impact visibility and a healthy appetite for switchbacks). If you stay here and you haven't considered it already, take look at hiking Hidden Lake or Cascade Pass.

Now, for the campground. I stayed at site 003, which had direct access to Marble Creek. I spent one morning just sitting in the creek (which was still cold in August) sipping a local brew. The site was flat with a tent pad, fire ring, picnic table, and parking space to accommodate an F-150 King Ranch edition. Located further down the road from our site was a vault toilet (very clean, and not close enough to smell) and dumpsters for trash. I'd also note that I typically avoid campgrounds because I don't enjoy a lot of noise. It was pretty quiet here and there seemed to be a decent amount of space between each site.

Of note, and this might impact how others feel about the campground, but there's no potable water on site (bring your own). We saw plenty of fire wood for sale on the side of the road on the way in.

First RV camp in my life

Amazing service and amazing place

This site is closed due to high river damage.

This site is closed due to high river damage. You can not stay here

Reserve ahead of time

Great views. Plenty to do: walk-on ferry to port Townsend, beach comb, fly kites, explore the lighthouse/bunkers. It’s a very popular site, even year round. Be sure to reserve your site well in advance.

NW Camping year 'round

We camp here at least twice per year. You can reserve online at the state parks website months in advance (dont expect to get in last minute). Currently the upper campground is under construction, so spaces are limited. We love the upper bunkers, the views, the beach, and the history. No water hookups in winter. Great places for all ages!