About Newhalem Campground
Hike In
Newhalem Campground is located in Washington
7 Reviews of Newhalem Campground
Location is great!

Located directly in front of the North Cascades Visitor Center. The campground is as described. We tent camped in loop A near the hike-in sites. Of course it was rainy but we were still very happy with this campground. The bathrooms were clean and had one electric outlet. The water spigot was in front of the restrooms. The bear box was excellent and there were plenty of trees for privacy. There is one general store nearby but no restaurants so I’d recommend coming prepared. The NP Rangers are lovely and pointed us in the right direction for hikes. We drove into Newhalem to hike the Ladder Creek Falls Trail behind the Gorge Powerhouse. It is beautiful! Then we drove up Lake Diablo - Gorgeous!

Great campground at the gateway to North Cascades

Had a really great time camping here. The campground is located right next to the North Cascades NP visitor center, and about 1/2 a mile from a general store with fire wood, ice, and food. We camped in Loop B which is nicely forested. Loop C sustained some damage from a wildfire a few years ago so it has more dead/burnt trees than compared to Loop A and B. Most of the campsites are pretty well spaced out and have a good amount of privacy. Campsites are equipped with bear boxes, a table, fire pit, and a tent pad (or 2, depending on the site). The campground overall was really well maintained and nice clean bathrooms, with water spigots located outside.

There are a few nice nature trails that start in the campground that lead to the Skagit River and the visitor center. Definitely worth the short trek to see the river! Diablo Lake is about a 12 mile drive east of the campground, making this a good base to explore North Cascades and beyond.

Can get busy in peak season

This campground is right next to the visitors center. Overall it's a good campground, but has smaller sites with less privacy than others nearby. Also, this campground is pretty far from most hiking trails which can tack on to your travel time.

Hewhalem, WA - A great combination of Hiking and Kayaking - Shore of Skagit

I am a full time employeed engineer. I believe my 30 years of materials and process engineering combined with OEM manufacturing experience of aerospace and automotive platforms combined with my love of camping makes me ideally suited to be a Dyrt Ranger. In my career I do alot of failure analysis and know what goes into a product that delights the customer. Especially, critical gear like a camp stove that needs to light when you want it to, or not become a flaming disaster due to a fuel leak, or a tent that keeps solid during the most violent of wind storms. I have not written a formal campground review but have done a significant amount of camping with my daughter and son throughout the years. My last trip was with my son of 25 years last summer in Northern Cascades National Park. We stayed at Newhalem campground. I live in Wisconsin and he lives in Tacoma, so my usual method is to fill two large army duffles with the camping gear and check it on the plane. I have done it this way for 25 years. I get everything I need in those two bags and they still work. We throw the bags in the truck, stop by the grocery store for provisions, and pitch camp. The problem with Newhalem was that I specifically selected a walk in site to get away from as much noise as possible. Unbeknownst to me there were two other single walk in sites on either side of ours. So the reward for hauling our gear and water into the site was one of our neighbors didn't understand what a single site was nor why people go through the trouble of using them. They turned it into a group site, which unfortunately was highly distracting from the crackling of our campfire. This is so unfortuate, because this is why I like to camp and backpack, to get away from the work pressures and enjoy nature, the fire, the conversation, the quite. Others enjoy the party opportunity and have little regard for anyone who is next to them. Other than that I found the campground very clean, easy to get around and centrally located to the hikes we wanted to complete. Namely, Hidden Lake, Sourdough Mnt.and I believe Blue Lake Trail, but I think I am wrong on the latter. In my 25 years of camping with my kids and my wife, the Northern Cascades are brutal. I have climbed Long's Peak, Sky Pond, Loch Lake, Flat Top Mnt, Hallett Peak, etc. Angles Landing, Observation Point (I one day - just through I would mention it), Hidden Canyon, the Narrows, etc.in Zion National Park, Mt. Washburn in Yellowstone, Yosemite Falls Hike, etc. Been caught in a wind storm in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park that bent the poles of my Eureka Timberline 4 man tent. Withstood a tornado in Minacqu, WI where I witnessed a electrical transformer explode from a lightning strike. And had the incredible experience of watching a storm come into Badlands National Park and by evening take over our site with a perpetual lightning storm. But what is different with all of these an many others that doesn't exist in the Northern Cascades is you can actually see your final destination. The destination in the Norther Cascades is typically hidden by trees, and when you think you are making great progress on the incessant switchbacks that climb 1 verticle foot for each step you take, a passing hiker will say, when asked; "oh you are maybe 1/4 of the way there", your heart and mind drop and in the dense forest, coping with the heat you ask where is the end. The Northern Cascades are brutal in the mental and physical games they play with a hiker. But ultimately it was an awesome experience with my son, I flew back to Wisconsin with a lot of great memories. Not a campground review, but the ramblings of an outdoor enthusiast, that loves looking up from the fire to see the stars, and the best mornings are those dry in the sleeping bag listening to rain fall on the tent fly. I have been blessed and love what you guys are doing. Thank you. Sincerely, Rob Hathaway, Oshkosh, WI

Camping w/out Campfires

We stayed at this camp site at the end of August, 2018. There was a burn ban in effect due to wildfires all over the state. it was very smokey which blocked most views but we had no issues breathing and hiking. the trails around the camp site are great. awesome visitor center near by and river access. we camp in our RV and our friends bring tents. our two sites (30 and 32) mentioned they hold three tents each. we had 4 tents and there was NOT enough space! very small camp sites! but we made it work and had fun! there are waterfalls near by at the power plant that lights up at night! Everyone in our group who has Verizon had cell service.

Spacious Sites and Woodsy Trails

The sound of the river and richness of the forests, along with the proximity to the Visitor Center and some easier hikes, combine to make Newhalem a convenient stopping point for me as I crossed the North Cascades. It's located along the Western side of the park, so I made sure to stop as I drove East to West, checking out the sites, stops, and hikes that are more "in" the mountains.

The site was roomy, felt private, and led me easily to the trail behind it. Some of the walk-in sites I saw as I took the trail looked really nice: close to the glacier-blue river and slotted into densely forested pockets.

I spent the morning taking trails that criss-cross the campground, leading along the river, up the Visitor Center, and back to the historical "town" of Newhalem.

Gateway to the North Cascades National Park

I recently stayed at Newhalem in the North Cascades. The facilities where limited but very clean. They have an amazing visitors center with very helpful staff. This is the perfect location to start to explore the North Cascades. It is situated very close to the river, with fly fishing access. The sites are good sized and plentiful. The park staff was very helpful with changing our reservation and knowledge about the surrounding area.