Mona, UTAH

Most Recent Mona Camping Reviews
Beautiful views

This campground has beautiful lake views and electric and water hookups. It is a little more expensive than we like but the scenery and hookups are nice.

Beautiful campground

This campground is beautiful. It is small and next to a little river. Has lots of spots for rvs and ttent camping. Camp hosts are great.

Dispersed camping at Fifth Water Hot Springs Trailhead

We camped at this trailhead while attempting to hike to the Fifth Water Hot Springs. Due to fire activity, the original trailhead was closed so we camped at the "back way" trailhead. There were signs indicating that dispersed camping was allowed in areas designated by a fire ring. Found one near the trailhead parking. Not many flat places for a tent and there was cow manure all over the ground, so not many options for places to put our tent. The "fire-pit" was also filled in with rocks, thinking this may have been related to the nearby forest fires. May have better luck at the other trailhead in the future.

Very clean and super camp host!

I really loved this campground! And I really love Diamond Fork Hotsprings! I can’t wait to visit again! We camped the Thursday after Labor bad and had the entire campground almost all to ourselves! On Labor Day weekend there wasn’t an empty campsite. Cost is $22 for a single site, $44 for a double. We arrived to camp around 7:30 and pitched our tent then headed up the road a few more miles to the parking area for Diamond Fork (5th water) Hot Springs. I recommend visiting the Hotspring at night in the summer to escape the overwhelming crowds. There were only a handful of people at the springs during our evening visit. The trail to the springs is about 2.4 miles in. We returned to camp around 1 AM and slept soundly in the still, quiet nature. You can hear the stream babble nearby. We slept in and as we were breaking down camp, Marc, the camp host stopped by to se how our visit was and if we needed anything. What a wonderful man! We chatted for quite a while about the area and he offered to give us a tour of the campground in his golf cart. This is a pretty leather campground! 3 separate loops. There are some hike in tent sites but they are set up for dual tents and are priced as such so they are $44 which is quite speedy for a pack in tent site. There is a well maintained nature trail the passes through the campground. There are educational kiosks along the trail. There are multiple restrooms throughout the campground. The 2 I used were very clean considering it was post holiday weekend.
Each campsite had a fire ring, grill, and a picnic table. Tent sites all offered nice level areas for pitching your tent. You can purchase fire wood from the camp host. This is a great place and I can’t wait to return!

Camp Maple Dell is an ideal place to camp!

If you don't want to drive for hours to unplug and enjoy nature, Maple Dell is just 5 miles up the Payson Canyon, has a lot of leafy trees for shade, most campsites have a pavilion and picnic table. It's a local favorite and a hidden gem. In the summer it's occasionally used for Scout/youth adventure activities, so if you have large groups interested in a little adventure, you can customize a package with the camp organizers. #worthit

I love this camp ground. Close to awesome fishing and beautiful.

I have stayed here a couple times. We like campsite #38 because it is a double spot that can fit 3 or more cars or a truck and boat or large RV or trailer. It has a few flat spots for tents, and 2 tables and a nice fire ring. There are also lots of aspen trees that are nice for hanging a hammock in. The double spot is $46 a night and single is $23

Aspen grove is a beautiful camp site with lots of Aspen trees and in a valley it is a 5 minute walk to the marina of Strawberry. you also can launch a boat at the marina and you are only 5 minutes from the damn, were we caught some 22+ inch cutthrouts and other trout at the damn as well as a few smaller fish.

We caught around 250 crawfish that we cooked and ate at out camp site that night as well as cooking some steaks as well we had a surf and turf it made for a yummy dinner.

There is a water spiket at each campsites and bathrooms are close with running water. There is also a big dumpster to get rid of your trash. There is firewood you can purchase from the camp host. The camp host is really friendly and helpful.

I have stayed here each year in September and there is always spots open. It is better to call ahead because it can fill up. This is a beautiful campsite when the leafs start to change color. This in one of the nicest places to stay in Utah. https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232390

Primitive camping with lots of hikes.

This is a nice place to camp. Only about a mile from the fifth water parking lot and a few miles hike from the hot pots. Really good fishing in both the fifth water river and Diamond Fork. The camp sites are first come first serve. They are big sites and can hold a few tents each. Their are nice picnic tables and fire rings a pit style bathroom is available across the river.

Lots of amazing scenery around. Great hikes, great fishing, amazing places to ride horses, or just amazing views.

There are lots of trees around for shade and oak brush. I have seen elk, deer, moose, and black bear in this area so bring a camera and don't leave food in your tent.

Very quiet

This was a lovely way to start our vacation. We had a space that overlooked the lake.

Just be sure you have long enough water and electric hose. The park is directional and our water and power services were on the wrong side. But other than that is was great.

Great place to get out of the heat of summer

This is a great place to camp. You are really close to fifth water and the start of the trail to the hot pots. There is lots of big cotton wood trees for shade. The spots are big enough for a tent or RV. All spots have a nice picnic table and fire ring. There is bathrooms close and they are clean. There is a really nice river walk trail that is fun for kids and adults and the fishing is really good in the river that is close by. I have stayed here a few times and have never found a spot I didn't like. It can get busy in the summer so call or reserve ahead of time. there are lots of single sites for $24 a night or or group sites of $48 you can also reserve a huge group site with pavilion and up to 75 people for $145 a night which is awesome if you want to do a family party or reunion in an amazing canyon. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/uwcnf/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=9855&actid=29

The views are amazing lots of red rocks and cliffs to see. Lots of great hikes, the fishing for brown trout, and cutthroat trout in diamond fork river or the fifth water river can be amazing and you don't see a lot of anglers so that makes it way fun. If you stay here make sure to take the time to hike up to fifth water hot pots it is amazing.

There were some bugs but not to many to be annoying. I have seen snakes on some of the hikes so watch out where you step. I have seen elk, deer, moose, wild turkeys, and black bear in and around the area and campsite so don't leave food in your tent and clean up your campsite.

This is a very clean campground the camp staff takes pride in this campground. There is firewood available from the camp staff and fire is legal in fire pits.

Lots of shade trees make it lots cooler in the summer so you can beat the heat.

Great Campground

We stayed for 3 nights here and loved the Campground/area. We had two RVs and a tent and the pull through locations were great. Bathrooms were the cleanest I've ever seen a campground bathroom be! Firewood was available to purchase, close to the lake.

Idyllic campground - leafy, shady, ponds...beautiful!

I love Camp JJ! Easy distance to civilization, fun things like a real train caboose, and a green, leafy, beautiful area to set up camp! The ponds just add to the peaceful nature that surrounds this camp. (Fishing is catch and release only).

Beautiful views, desert-like area.

This campgroudn has beautiful views. It is a dry area and hot mid-summer, but good base for ATV, bike, and hunting areas. No ATV/bike riding or hunting on the campground - just a good base camp for those types of activities. It's a developing camp, so while it's free-range and fairly primitive camping, the current construction is eventually expected to provide potable water, campsites, flushing toilets, and showers.

Remote, Quiet and Beautiful

Located in National Forest at 8,000 ft with lots of sites, many of them pull through with fire rings. Lots of trees for privacy and, when we were there 8/25 - 8/27, were the only ones other than the camp hosts. Brought bikes and there were ample riding areas. A couple miles up the hill at 9,000 ft the views are truly spectacular. Continuing over the 38 mile scenic highway is well worth the drive with sheer drop offs demanding full attention ending in Nephi.

No electricity

No hookups

Great overnight

$20 a night can't beat it.

Too close to a major city- noisy and unsafe.

Stayed here for Father's Day. Everything that could go wrong did. First someone took our campsite. I spoke to the male adult putting up the tent he told me the "guy" said it was ok for him to camp there. I went to speak to the Camp Host who said he had actually told them it was "ok if no one showed up". Possibly the stupidest thing to tell a family with several young children as guests can show up at any time during the night; something CLEARLY evidenced by all the motorcycle noise and car lights that night. I asked the host if he could help me vacate the campsite but he refused. So I had to have an totally uncomfortable conversation with a Dad who was very upset. He kept asking how did I reserve the site so I told him that it was listed on Recreation.org and that anyone could reserve it months ahead of time.  Next morning we also had people shooting in the woods behind the campground- apparently shooting the trees is a thing people do for fun here. Try to play this game- people having fun or mass shooter? Who knows! There were also a LOT of flies everywhere this time of year and they just kept going on our clothes and hair- it was disgusting. People were chopping  trees to make firewood. The Squirrels are pretty aggressive getting really close and jumping on our table while we ate, several managed to chew holes in our our gear. OH and the water was shut off because they had just tested it and it was positive for E.Coli- FUN!  I don't recommend at all. Go further into the canyon if you seek some quiet.

Close to town and you don’t know it.

Spent only one night but had the whole Campground to ourselves. Nice big level spot with fire pit and separate upright grill. Bathrooms clean with flush toilets, running water but no showers. No amenities such as electric sewer or water. Has a playground, sand volleyball, boat launch as your near the Jordan River. Definitely will return…

No overnight camping allowed.

Beautiful lake, beach area is just ok. Can launch very small boats, or jet skis here instead of paying next door at the marina :)!!

Best Cirque Camping in all of Utah!

I've been wanting to summit Lone Peak since I first moved to Utah in 2012.  Since then I've become an avid climber/mountaineer and decided that the only way I'm gonna stand on top is if I climb the 500' cirque walls to the top!  These collection of primitive campgrounds is the base camp for any such climb and for people that can't do the standard hiking trail in a day or just want to spend some time in a glorious alpine cirque!  The trail up is steep, dusty and downright loose, but the payback at the top is unlike any other Wasatch hike I've done! When you arrive in the cirque you're greated by 270 degrees of granite wall towering up to 600' tall!

The campsites are scattered along the trail with the first coming about a mile for the cirque proper on the right in a meadow.  More campsites pop up as you head up to the right off the standard hiking trail and up to the cirque.  Once in the cirque you can toss your tent up or simply lay on the ground with a bivy as it is soft and flat enough.  Be warned however to bring a lot of water (at least 3 L each) and a filter if you plan on staying overnight in the cirque.  All water is runoff so also make sure there is still snow up there as that is your only water supply.  Water typically runs dry in mid July but in fat snowpack years like this last one, the snow looks like it'll last into the first couple weeks of September!  Just remember to be safe and keep an eye on the weather to the west, this ain't your typical Wasatch outing!

Beautiful and only 20 minutes from home.

This is a great spot to pitch a tent close to the creek or take your RV. If you are planning on camping on the weekend plan on a crowd because it is so close to AF. Week days are the easiest days to get a spot. Call ahead and reserve a spot for a weekend. I have stayed here a few times and really haven't found a bad campsite. They are all roomy and close to the creek.

All spots have a nice fire ring pit, nice picnic table, bathrooms, and lots of shade and room. Most are creek side or close enough to the creek that you can hear it. You are also close to the road so the creek sounds drown out the road sounds.

This is really close to tibble fork reservoir, or timpanogos cave National monument. Both spot are only a 5 minute drive. Because this campground is so close to AF and Lehi it can get really busy in the Spring, Summer and Fall. Go mid week or book your spot in advance. This is a great spot to sit by the fire and beat the summertime heat in a beautiful canyon.

As far as wildlife there are deer, elk, big horn sheep, wild turkeys, squirrels and black bear. Even being so close to the city you can and will see lots of wildlife.

I have stayed here a bunch of times like I said mostly on the week days because the weekends get so crowded from what I can tell there is no bad spots in this campground. There are lots of big rocks the kids can play on good hikes close by, lots of great rock climbing and the creek is fun to play in and has some really good fishing, make sure to bring your pole or fly rod because there are lots of hungry trout in the creek.

You can get online reservations so that you know you have a spot at their website, it is better to book ahead on weekends or on summer holidays. Site start at $24 and go up in price.  https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/231935

Nice spot close to home.

I took the scouts up to this spot and it is a great place to camp with lots of room. Make sure you get camped and in because they lock the gate coming into campground at 11PM and you have to hike in. Really nice campsites with really nice bathrooms and picnic tables. There is a huge spot of grass that you can play sports or baseball on. Can't remember the site we had but there was a huge rock that was fun for the scouts to climb on. Really nice spots with lots of trees and shade. This is really close to some really good hikes like Stewart Falls, and tibble fork reservoir just minutes for your camp site. In the summer call ahead because this area can be busy.

Minutes above Tibble Creek Reservoir

Beautiful reprieve! This is a great campground. Lots of activities surround it (fishing, canoeing, 4-wheeling).nice group sites as well.

Near Utah Lake Backcountry

FREE! No amenities! Must carry in all water.  Shooting Range nearby. Great for ATVs and off road vehicles. Hiking is easy to moderate in abilty. Fire ring established in most common camp areas. Animals allowed. Close to Utah Lake.

Camp near Battle Creek Falls

This park allows for camping and accomodates small or large groups. Several fire pits, large covered lighted pavillion with three rows of picnic tables.  Large grassy field, two wooded areas, boarders a residential neighborhood, flushing toilets. Irragation ditches run throughout the park with bridges for crossing. Rents for $25. Animals allowed, 15 minutes from shopping, good hikes nearby, Battle Creek Falls is a close hike.

Great Camp

This camp can be rented by camp ground for $150 per night. Multiple tents fit per site. We had 6 tents, and had room for several more. Covered pavillion with three picnic tables connected end to end. Ample area for kitchen set up, nice fire pit, water from pump, shower houses, flushing toilets, port-o-potties also available throught the entire camp. Camp store available during summer months. Great for groups small to large. We enjoyed seeing deer walk through our camp daily. About 15-20 minutes from Payson City.

4 wheel drive accessible Free

Wide spacious camp sites. ATV paradise, fire pits established in most camp sites, only accessible by 4 wheel drive. Must cross a creek with 12"-18" of water at least once and up to 4 times depending on which camp site you choose. Brick enclosed outhouse style toilets available at trailhead about 1/2 mike from camp site. Beautiful back country, great views of the back of  Mt. Timpanogos. Fishing, and light watercraft permissible in Silver Lake Resevoir. Not crowded at all. Dirt/gravel road for about 10 miles to get to Silver Lake Reservoir from Tible Fork Reservoir. Then only dirt roads beyond the creek. We hiked 1,000 vertical feet to Silver Lake. It was so beautiful. We spent our afternoons paddleboarding on Silver Lake Reservoir.

RV Park and Campground $25 per site

RV Park and campground with playground, small pool, gift shop, laundry room,  showers, restrooms, some fire pits, some picnic tables, animals allowed. Camp roads are gravel, lots are small for tents. Each lot is about the size of a single car garage. We could put up two 4 man tents on each  lot. Close to town, but the location of the camp is behind the Temple Hill so you are secluded from the road. Friendly staff. Tightly packed, you can hear a crying baby throught the entire campground.

Quiet, fun and friendly

Stopped her for the night on our return to SLC. Family staff was pleasant and helpful.
Full hook-up site was surprisingly spacious with green space in-between and trees for shade. Facilities are clean and comfortable and camp store is well stocked. We were able to walk to Utah Lake via the state park and even found an interesting collection of old gas station signs, pumps and other road-memorabilia along the way!
Really enjoyed our brief stay! On line reservation request requires a credit card #, but return call was very quick and helpful and no charge was placed until check-in.

Paid tent / RV campsite with fire ring and bathrooms.

I think the previous review is unfair, although I agree with him, this kind of campsite is not the type I prefer. This campsite has gorgeous views of the canyon and climbing rock wall. It’s not far up the canyon, and you can fit an RV there. There is a bathroom and a nice camp host. There is a fire ring, and a nice little stream. There is no firewood around to collect. Most sites say that, this one means it. The campsite fits snugly between the road up the canyon, and the canyon wall that is popular with rock climbers. Don’t drive in backwards, there is a spike strip that luckily didn’t pop my truck’s tires, it lets you out, not in. Completely my bad, I ignored the sign and didn’t see the strip. It’s not day use either, as I found out. I had to pay the overnight rate for our evening s’more roasting adventure. I don’t think this is a great campsite for kids, with it’s close proximity to the road, and not much room for them to run around.

Always a great time, and really easy to get to

North and West beach are first come first served past the pay station. You can camp right up on the water or there are some areas with light shade. If you want a reserved spot with hookups you'll need to go on the East side to the Oasis campground.

We go here 3-5 times a year. It's a favorite with the dogs.