Central, TENNESSEE

Most Recent Central Camping Reviews
Miles above the rest!

Well, one mile above the rest. Such a sight to see. Check your tour cd to verify it works before driving away from the gate. It is helpful as you drive through and not all function correctly. Plenty of hiking trails but some close in the winter months. Picnic and play areas. Educational spots for the little ones. Breathtaking views.

Seriously let go......& sad

One of these days, A 0 stars rating is critical to the overall scoring process. Honey Bear should be thankful for the scoring process because the single star at least gives some advantage to the overall score. Let me begin by saying that the pictures do not match the grounds. Well, one of them may match hit the rest are seriously filtered. Turning into the grounds from the main road, there is a series of make-shift goat pens made from old wooden pallets. Each standing on its end and side-by-side attached however but not well enough for the one escape artist who is actually one of the better sites you will enjoy during your stay! To the right, an empty (seemingly also abandoned) commercial building that houses empty office locations. The old sign team still stands with no signage but one fluorescent bulb still burns at night. Further ahead, on the left are two open roll off dumpsters for trash. If that is not cause for rodents and other vermin, nothing is. Beyond those are travel trailers that others are being stored. The office is nothing near as clean as you are going to expect. The coffee house is closed but the only way you will know that is if you follow them on Facebook. Hope you have Facebook. The bathhouse and laundry facilities are also closed. We reserved a double site. One hour prior to arrival, we received a call regarding being transferred to a different site. When we arrived to the site, it was a small site and not what we paid for. I spoke to Marsha and indicated that we wanted a different location. We were supposed to be in B section however due to below freezing temperatures, we were moved to A section where they have a few frost free water connections. We paid and we are here! Let's make the best of it. Once set up and stabilized, we plugged i to the power connection which shorted out our power cord and our unit receptacle. Because she has no maintenance personnel, I had to test the power supply myself which determined that all three legs were hot. Serious problem especially when the temperature was 29°. I called to let her know what was going on and she did not have a solution. Our options were dependent on whether or not the grounds keeper was still on site. It is now after 8:00 pm. On Sunday. We had enough battery power for basic functions and enough gas for heat so we did it old school. Monday, we headed straight to a dealer to purchase a new cord as well as the receptacle. I called at 12:02 pm to verify if the supply had been repaired but was told that she was not at the office yet because she does not come in until noon and was unsure of the grounds keeper was there. I said it is after noon but no response given. It was after 1:00 pm before the supply connection was replaced and once we had our work completed, we were back in business. I hope you know some handyman basics because you are going to need them. Not once did she follow up to make sure our stay was going better. Not once did she offer to make good on anything. I spent my first two days of vacation working because Marsha does not work at all when it comes to maintaining the grounds, water, power and such. I will be furthering this with appropriate sites, social media outlets and local bureaus/chambers.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS LOCATION!

Breathtaking views on top of Grandfather Mountain.

I loved the area we stayed at in Grandfather Mountain Campground. I've been multiple times throughout the summers and have always enjoyed staying at one of the campsites right by the river. The campsite is always clean and friendly staff are there ready to answer questions on where to hike, eat and about the wildlife that's in this area of Western North Carolina. If you're lucky enough to catch one of the beautiful sunsets, I would recommend sitting in the grassy field (also on option to camp there) and take in the mountains laced with purples and pinks as the sun sets. And of course you'll have to hike grandfather mountain and walk across the swinging bridge. I finally went this last trip and was not disappointed! There is an intense hike that included climbing up latters and leads to beautiful views!

This campground is also close to Boone, NC. It is a cute little town that has a sweet downtown area to walk around in and grab a beer. If you like breakfast food I would highly recommend trying Melanie's. There food is to die for, and also very earth conscious.

As far as campgrounds go , it wasn't bad . Just something is it's a self service check in which I didn't know , and when I asked for help one of the camp host wasn't vary helpful but since I had a reservation I just needed to go to the site( which was not posted ) . Our neighbors had a generator going ( which is posted that it's prohibited) which was on for the 1st day before someone finally told them to turn it off . Our site was beautiful and overlooked the lake , but you couldn't get to the water from our site , there was about a 6 ft cliff so for kayaking you have to go down the road from the campground and pay $2.00 for a day pass . It's not a bad place to stay just don't know if I'll ever go back .

Very Pleased

Was very easy getting in and out of this campsite. The view was nice and you’re literally inches from the river. It was 30F when we stayed but I would love to return in the warmer months and get in the river or kayak.

We booked via Airbnb and the owner was very helpful and friendly.

Great Location Overall

Incredible spot that we will return to for sure.

We drove about 10 miles down NC105 to find a good spot that was available. Be sure to have 4WD (preferably a off-roading vehicle) to make it up some parts of the road.

The spot was massive and could easily fit 5+ vehicles and sleep 20 comfortably. The view was nice and we were able to see Lake James in the distance (due to being far down the trail).

First photo is at night, second is in the morning, third is a pull off further down the trail on the way to the exit.

Woke up in the morning to hunting dogs barking and a few gunshots. This didn’t bother us however but it’s something to note incase it would impact you.

Back to Nature

Dirt site by the River all hook ups. They also have small cabins and tent sites. Walking distance to trails and town. Spa with hot spring hot tubs across the street.

Amazing sunset views from the top of a mountain!

This place was absolutely amazing. We loved our time here! It’s on top of a mountain and there are amazing sunset views. We spotted this place online before we decided to buy an RV and it definitely lived up to our high expectations. There are premium sites and deluxe sites. The premium sites have an amazing view right from their sites. The deluxe ones still have nice views, but not quite like the deluxe ones. However, there is a common area where you can go that has the best view of all! That’s where we watched the sunset every night and it was fun getting to know the other campers. We saw a black bear and turkeys in the campground too! The staff is super helpful. Each site has a trash can so you do not have to worry about making dumpster runs. Be sure not to get there early- the one way road going up to the campground is steep and I’m not quite sure what would happen if you met another RV!

Too small for the # of sites

It doesn't even deserve the 1 star. The sites are too close to each other. No privacy…people walking through your site to get to the bathrooms and loud about it. Updated bathhouse is nice but the wait for the showers can be down right ridiculous. If you are in the lower tent sites, it can be quite a little hike at 3 am to get to the bathroom. I don't recommend making reservations too far in advance. We had to cancel our last reservation because my daughter is having surgery and they were NOT nice and we didn't even get a partial refund.

There are MUCH nicer campgrounds close by. I will never stay here again.

A great campground, very clean and we'll kept. Right on the nolichucky rive

One of the best small campgrounds to spend time with your family. Very quiet and relaxing. Great fishing with access to river for kayak or conoe. Can enjoy fire with your own fire pit or the community fire pit.

Relaxing

One of my favorite places to go!! Doesn’t get much more relaxing, electric, water hook-ups and a short drive to downtown Damascus VA.. AT, Virginia Creeper, White Top Mountain and Mount Rogers all near by. Make this trip twice a year would add a third if time allowed.

Very clean and quite

Our camp spot was a little small but they do have bigger options available. We loved the lake area and enjoyed fishing there. The location on the Blue Ridge Parkway was beautiful and very secluded. The bathhouse was spotless everytime I went to shower. It also smelled freshly clean and always had plenty of hot water (not always the case when camping). The camp store employees were super friendly and helpful. We will go back again but will book a bigger spot to have more privacy.

Very clean and nice

The park is very nice , very clean. There are shower facilities there . We hiked there, the mountain were cold even in  July. Beautiful place !

Great campsite

30 minute drive to Mount Mitchell State Park - our hiking destination. The campsites closer to Mitchell were reserved. This campground has 20 rv spots & 70 renting spots. $20 per day. There’s a great 2.5 mile hike to Crabtree falls within the campground.

Relaxing and Quite

Nice campground with full amenities. Have stayed here at least 2 X per year the last several years. Restrooms/Bathhouses are always clean. This is a small Park, but they always have something going on in season.

Killer sites - most alongside as creek - mere yards from a gorgeous College

We abandoned plans to stay at place in Old Fort (see listing for Catawba Falls) and ended up here as a last chance before having to hit a hotel to turn back around to CLT.  Boy, were we happy with our choice.  Nice bathhouse w/ heated showers, super nice semi-primitive sites, half of them alongside a creek, the others are mere steps away.  Lovely homes line the drive up and you are on land owned by Montreat College, a private Presbyterian-affiliated liberal arts college you hope your grandkids are smart enough to get into.  Stately buildings, a lake, hiking and walking paths galore.  Just the right amount of civilization - wood to purchase, flush toilets.  Spotty cell service - if you have T Mobile forget it, if you have Verizon you're golden.  I saw trailers in several spaces but it looks like a TIGHT squeeze in many sites.  Tent sites are plentiful and lovely.  Check in down the hill at the stately Assembly Inn hotel.  Like the campground and the surrounding area - the people are total class and you cannot get a better price and location this close to Asheville.

Armpit of a trailer park

Let's be honest.  There's campgrounds and there's places that wish they are something other than what they are.  This place reeks of old school charm - if you can look past the lines of semi-permanent RVs, the millimeter wide spacing between the tent sites and the express lack of parking on site.  We paid for our site, arrived, looked at the disaster that awaited us, and wisely moved up the road to a real campground - Montreat Campground.  Avoid this place unless it is your only option.

Awesome little site

This is a nice clean park, very friendly people who work there . The park is child friendly . The bathrooms are very clean

Very interesting place

Our family really enjoyed the this park , there are many interesting structures at the park. The staff was very friendly . The park is very clean there are informative facts .

Off the beaten path

A couple buddies and I went camping on table rock, found a cave, crawled through it for about 100 feet and found the most beautiful camping spot we have ever seen. 10/10 would never tell the spot

Best campground by far!

This campground is located along the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway. We saw wildlife when we woke up in the mornings and before we went to bed in the evenings. The bath house in the tent only loop has private bathrooms with showers. The bath house is also cleaned daily.

Quiet and clean

One the best run parks in the state. Forget TV and phone service is spotty but who cares, the park is great. Hike, fish or just relax

Great stopover

Friendly staff, immaculate facilities, easy access off of I-81. Can’t say enough about this place. Would’ve stayed longer if I’d known how nice it was.

Great RV Park

We stayed here August 16-19 in our 39ft motorhome and toad. Buck Creek has easy access and nice campsites. The property is well kept. The owner was very hospitable.
It was convenient to visit Linville Falls and Mount Mitchell.

Two different experiences

The first time we stayed at Curtis Creek Campground, we had a great overall experience. We have a Jeep with a rooftop tent, and our friends have a pop-up camper. We shared site 11, and that was really the only site we would consider at this campground as the sites were close together and have no privacy between sites. We parked our jeep on the tent pad, and the pop-up between the jeep and site 10. That way, we had privacy as we were at the end of the loop where one side was wooded. The sites come with a nice fire pit and picnic table, there is water available and the pit toilets were immaculate on that visit. There is good access to Curtis Creek for fishing or hanging out, and the little bit of traffic on the adjacent road was not obtrusive. We liked it so much we returned a second weekend. We gave it a 5 star rating as a group for that site and our experience.

The camp hosts had changed between our first and second visits, and the second time it wasn't quite as pleasant. The amenities had not changed, but the cleanliness of the pit toilets had. They were not filthy, but were not being maintained as well as previously. There was a foul odor that would frequently come from the vents for the pit toilet, making it unpleasant to be at our campsite. I don't know if we were just down wind and it was at the end of its cycle and needing maintenance, but it changed our mind on coming back again as sewer odors just didn't mix with our camp dinners well. We gave it a 3 for that weekend.

It is a small campground, with good parking and RV sites. The road going in was rutted the first time, but had been graded by the time we went the second time - there were a couple of one lane bridges and a turn or two that might be tight for a large RV. Make sure you bring firewood, there is none sold at the site and we couldn't find any to purchase in Old Fort, we had to go to a larger town in order to find some. Overall, it is a good site but not quite our style if we weren't camping with friends as we would have felt like there was no privacy.

You have to stop and look

We stopped here at zero dark thirty enroute to Hungry Mother State Park. It was dark, very quiet and sorta creepy. NO ONE was in the primitive camp area which is located off the main campground road , down a gravel road into the trees. This would be an excellent group site because all six tent pads surround this huge fire ring and there’s a nice pavilion with water, power and plenty of picnic tables. I was not interested in getting too comfortable just for a few hours sleep so I aired up my small mattress and crashed in the truck. We were up at the crack of sunlight and exploring. Two, small, nice full service campgrounds with a small store and playground. CCC style hiking trail up around the Natural Tunnel that offers some pretty views. There is a chairlift , gift shop and other attractions , BUT…don’t plan to do anything before 10 am, that’s when everything opens. So we hiked and then got on our way up the road.

Ranger Review of Outdoor Element Firebiner Survival EDC Carabiner at Grayson Highlands State Park, VA

Campground Review: There are two campgrounds in Grayson Highland SP which is located by The Mouth Of Wilson, VA, near the North Carolina border. Just an FYI certain cell phone providers do not have great coverage in this area, so plan ahead and print out any Geo or local info before you arrive. As a non-Virginia resident you will pay more to hike and stay at the State Parks. That being said the facilities I’ve visited have been immaculate and well staffed. Grayson Highlands has a front gate where you can pick up your packet if pre-registered. I’m not sure what I picked at online registration other than electric and water but I had the choice of over 10 sites. I originally pulled into site 29 which has an awesome view, but had visions of plummeting down the mountain side so I moved. There are several pull through options, I opted for a back in. The lay out of the park is very linear and the “corners” are completely used with up to three sites. We visited on a week day after Labor Day and the campground was sparsely occupied. The shower house closest to my site, 46, had a shower and latrine option or just shower option. The camp host was located across from the shower house and the dump station was adjacent to that site. For the most part there was plenty of shade. Near the entrance there were a few sites off the field that had few or no trees. There is a six pad group site available behind the camp store that had plenty of picnic tables and a large fire ring. LOVED the hiking trails!!! The VIEWS!!! The “one” the park is known for is the Rhododendron, which is where the wild ponies live. We saw ponies, but more then that it’s like you are on top of the mountain range , “Lord Of The Rings” or something like that! The Creekside Cabin hike is very technical as in tree roots and rocks, but so worth the exertion! Very cool waterfall and aside from some modern day trash there is still the old wood stove and pantry in the cabin. If you like to cool off in the streams that you hike to this trail has many options to sit and enjoy. We saw several deer, some turkey but no bears. Still be aware of your surroundings when moving around and in the campground.

Product Review: Outdoor Element makes some useful gadgets to wear, carry and stash on your person for all contingencies. I reviewed the “Firebiner” while at camp this time. Realize I am a laymen and “thingy” is an acceptable word when describing products. Please visit www.OutdoorElement.Com for all the big words and complete descriptions. First and foremost I want to say I am not an outdoor , backwoods phenomena, so bear with me on my fire making skills. I have watched “Survivor” and they are right about how hard it is to get a fire going with just flint. Outdoor Element gives you everything you need to be successful though with PRACTICE! SO … The Firebiner first has some cool added features before you ever get to the fire part. A cool assortment of colors and National Parks in a titanium coated finish, a flathead screwdriver tip, a bottle opener, a built in utility blade, hang slots ( like for key rings and small hanging things ). This biner can hold up to 100 lbs ( non-human ) and has a stainless steel wire gate that springs closed. Now one of the coolest features to me is the Everspark fire wheel. It can throw some sparkage around! I was unsuccessful with regular tinder but got the jute burning. The ferry rod has two replacements included in the package and you can get a kit for the replacement or use an eyeglass flathead, but remember it has a spring in there.

A beautiful place

The park is gorgeous, the facilities are clean . The park is very well kept , the hiking trails are very well marked.

Full time RV'ers

Under new management, Kaiser is one of the best managers this place has had. It is one of the best campgrounds around. Priced right, clean, fantastic scenery, ideally located. Make a reservation you won't regret it

Not what I expected

The area is beautiful and the staff friendly. I drive a Kia Soul (low profile vehicle) and the roads to the campground were challenging due to the deep ruts and wash out. They advertise restrooms and showers but they were in very poor condition. the first night I checked out the showers, which open to the outside, there was a giant bullfrog inside. Taking trash off is another trip down poor roads. Some of the tent sites were very small with small tent pads. It was beautiful but the sites are pretty close so when it filled up there was lots of noise. You have to bring your own firewood and the office is just that, a place to check in and out- not a camp store. But Walmart is only 4 miles away. If you have a more rugged vehicle and lower facility expectations then you might like this, but it wasn’t for me.