the dyrt
Yurts
About Natural Tunnel State Park
Natural Tunnel State Park is located in Virginia
9 Reviews of Natural Tunnel State Park
Offers a variety of site layouts

I camped here back in June 2018. It was one of three sites I camped at that week on my trek to ten VA state parks in the south eastern of the state. This was my favorite of them all. It offered primitive, trailer and tent camping. Since I was by myself I choice the tent. Very clean, helpful and friendly folks. the site was easy to pull through with my truck. I been to some that were not so easy.

Awesome place to camp or just a one day visit.

This park has so many things to do and is fun for all ages. They have campgrounds,cabins and Yurts. There are nice hiking trails,chairlift to view the tunnel,picnic areas,swimming pool and so much more. People are friendly and helpful too. They have concerts and lots of outdoor activities during different times of the year. Great place for family fun!

Pictures don't do it justice!

This place is absolutely breathtaking. A must go. Cabins, yurts, RV camping, primitive camping. Excellently maintained. The are so many activities for everyone of all ages. Pool, picnicking, canoeing, hiking, fishing. There's a trail to the tunnel or you can take a chairlift. There's a museum, several gift shops, camp store, visitor centers. The staff is helpful and friendly. Many educational activities. The cabins are very clean and relatively new. But, I haven't run into 1 bad Virginia state park.

Beautiful park, great campground

Spent the night in a tent at Lovers Leap campground. Campground and park are clean, well maintained and up to date. Canoed Clinch River, caved in the park, and took a short guided hike through Stock Creek to backside of tunnel. Highly recommend!

Very, Very well done

We stayed in Lovers Leap Loop, site specific reservable. All these sites are roomy, but often back or butt to the next site. New super clean showerhouse with plenty of pressure and hot water. We had great cell and hot spot service (ATT & Verizon). The Tunnel is well worth seeing also. Would definitely stay here again.

New cabins next to blackberries!

We loved the new cabin we rented in this beautiful park. A hiking trail ran behind the cabins, past the campground (also new) to the tunnel. It is a great hike and even better when you use the ski lift going up :) The tunnel is at the base of a massive rock and a train drives through it very slowly each day.

We drove 2 hours to canoe the Clinch River which was great fun and we got to see a lot of the area.

Canyon

Who needs to go all the way out west to see the grand canyon when you can get the jist of it here

Spectacular views

The views are spectacular, Camping with electric, water and showers was just a bonus to all the beauty around us and pet friendly. Great people all around and we felt so welcomed.

Fun State Park and Campground!!

In addition to the main attraction and hiking trails, this park has a TON of activities…..canoeing, kayaking, caving, ranger led programs, night hikes, etc etc.

We spent the first few days exploring the tunnel and visitor‘s center.The tunnel was formed millions of years ago when groundwater that had carbonic acid in it ate away the rock and formed the tunnel. It is huge…about 200 feet wide and 80 feet high. There is some folklore that says that a Cherokee maiden and a Shawnee brave were forbidden to marry and jumped to their deaths from the highest pinnacle…now named Lover’s Leap. There is a still an active railroad thru the tunnel hauling coal. And, there is a creek that flows thru the tunnel. The campground sits atop the tunnel. Very spacious and open sites!

There are two ways to get down to the tunnel…you can ride the chairlift or you can hike. We did both!