Bean Station , TENNESSEE

Cyber Monday Gift Extended Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Bean Station Camping Reviews
Backcountry-Dark Hollow West

I’ve stayed at this site a couple times now and I love the location. The site is a short and easy hike (under 2 miles) from the parking lot via the Lake Trail to the Dark Hollow Trail. The site is tucked off the trail and has access to a stream that is directly across from the site entrance. I’ve also finished the trip by hiking the loop back out by continuing on Dark Hollow to Big Valley Trail, to Ghost House Trail and back to Lake Trail (5.3 miles total). These sections of the trails are easy to moderate.

Very nice campground

This is a great campground and the owners are great. Any need you have, they will try their best to fulfill it.

My favorite place

Across the road from the “resort and spa” that houses the rent-by-the-hour hot spring hot tubs. Situated along the beautiful French Broad River. They offer cabins (primitive to full amenities), RV sites, tent sites with electric, tent sites without and primitive tent sites way at the beach with no tables or fire rings. Plenty of shade and trees. Bath houses. The campground is now gated. The AT runs right in front of it as it passes through the adorable little town. There is a little outdoor outfitter, a couple restaurants… beautiful hikes which ever direction you go.

Fall Getaway

My wife and I went for our 5th anniversary. The campground is great and within a mile or 2 of a lot of trail heads in the Smokies. It was beautiful in October, but if you go in peak season I would recommend staying in the national park due to the insane amounts of traffic getting into Gatlinburg.

What a want a campground to be

Cozy and Spotless. Such warm management staff. Extremely helpful and even directed me to see my first Bear.

The RV park itself is awesome!

This park was awesome, beautiful views, rolling green grass, full hook up and partial hook ups for a decent fare. There is a lot to do nearby, it’s easy to get to the park and they have good cellular connection.

This park has 1 issue. Communication.

There are 3 reasons/experiences we will never return. There is a couple who camphost (fulltime RVers), and another couple who are the owners who live in a house on property. Pretty standard setup. Generally speaking- if you obtain permission for something from the camp host, you can reasonably expect that you have obtained the proper permission.

1. Arriving Early. Again- working, we called to ask permission to show up at 12:00pm instead of 2pm, communicated: if we could, we would like to not miss a full day of work moving the rig. Female who answered their only phone, said no problem, come on in, your site is open. Fantastic! We show up and the female owner of the park (we didn’t know who we talked to we just called their phone line)- was mad as hell that we were there early. We explained the screw up and apologized because it was a legitimate mistake. We thought that’s the end of it. Moving on.

2. We were there for 17 days, and needed to get a couple of boxes, one being our ballots to vote, one small package, and one medium size package. We again called the phone number, a female answered, gave us permission and told us the address. The first two arrive without issue. The third was apparently a problem with the female owner once again, even though the previous two packages- she never indicated there was a problem.

3. Booking- we originally booked 7 or so days and had to book more because of rain. We moved sites as they requested. Again - spoke to a female on the phone, no problem, y’all can stay until the 24th, this time she said “I wrote myself a note to tell the owner”. Cool, as a guest my work is done, all set. On the 23rd the female owner of the park came and beat on the door. My husband was at work. She was very angry, I was very confused. She asked when we were leaving and why we haven’t left, still confused I replied we paid until the 24th which is tomorrow and we will be leaving early in the morning. This made things epically more hostile. She said I was inconveniencing her other patrons because they expected full hook ups. I didn’t know what my husband had done or who he spoken to, all I knew was that we were leaving on the 24th. So I offered to call him and get to the bottom of it. I had him call her to simplify things. She screamed at him on the phone which goes through his hearing aids. He asked her to speak more quietly so he could understand her. Apparently she has the camp host approve things or doesn’t communicate with the camphost well. Each of these 3 things had sent her over the edge. She wouldn’t calm down so he hung up, so she called back and left a scathing voicemail about how rude he is…

We will never return, the last thing we need right now when everything is chaos for 2020- is to deal with that.

Loved staying here!

A bucket list trip to step foot on the APP and spend time wandering Hot Springs NC.

Very quiet and beautiful

Quiet campsite run by NPS. Beautiful in the fall. Great fire pit and gravel elevated platform for tents and activities

First time Staying at a KOA

We picked this stop because it was a halfway point from our trip in Georgia to home in Ohio and it was easy off and on 75. It’s a small campground with only 37 rv sites, a primitive camping section and several small cabins. They offer a pool, dog park, laundry and game room.

It’s very clean and the staff was nice. We got here after hours and they had everything we needed at the check in with our names, site number and directions to our site. They also offer WiFi and cable tv.

There is not much to do in the park itself but it’s quite and close to town.

Our favorite

This is our absolute favorite campground. Great amenities and ease of access for anything we need with a short drive into town. It’s quiet and relaxing. Watch out for pesky raccoons in site 7. They love to eat dog food.