Pets Unknown
Water Unknown
About Mount LeConte Shelter
National Park Service
Hike In
Mount LeConte Shelter is located in Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee
7 Reviews of Mount LeConte Shelter
love it

love the story behind the naming of this mountain!

Breathtaking

This hike is a definite must do! Upon our arrival we were greated by the crew and directed to our cabin. The views are breathtaking and words don't say enough to describe the beautiful views of the smokey mountains! We will definitely be back!

Perfect

Absolutely everything about is amazing.

We weren't at the lodge

 Primitive campsite on trail near highest mountain peak. There were several primitive campsites in close proximity. Our campsite had a large metal bear box in which you could store food and packs. The site was large enough for a few tents (2-3), we had a group of five and have more than enough room. Nearby, there was a compostable bathroom that was shared by the surrounding campsites. The toilet is rather open, and they ask to add on soil/mulch after using the bathroom. There is not a water source (to my knowledge) anywhere on the mountain or close to the trail, so you must pack in all water. This campsite is approximately a mile from the (insert mountain trail here); where it meets with (this trail), the peak is a half-mile further along. Additionally, if you continue along the (trail with the campsite), it connects with a ridge-side loop, with breathtaking views atop the ridge that look out over an immense canyon (flatlands?). On a clear day, you can easily see the Rio Grande, Mexico, and the cliffs and mountains across the border.

Beautiful lookout after long, but worthwhile hike

Leconte lodge is on top of mountain thats only accessible after an all day hike. Great cabin lodging at the top. If you're luck you get a great view of the Smoky Mountains but it is often cloudy. Fun board games supplied in the communal cabin at the top as well. They serve dinner when you get up (which consists of decently tasting mystery meat and some sides) and a delicious breakfast in the morning before you have to hike back down (especially the apple butter!!!)

Worth the Hike

I have stayed at LeConte Lodge several times and it is one of the most incredible hiking experiences you can get. The only way to get to the site is to hike in for several hours on one of the many trails that get you up the mountain. The hike in itself is beautiful and gives you views of the Smokeys depending on which route you take. When you get to the peak you can either stay at the lodge which requires a reservation or stay in the nearby AT shelter. I recommend the lodge if you can afford it and plan enough in advance (reservations fill up quickly). When you get to the lodge they serve you hot drinks and snacks then dinner which is all included with your stay in the cabins. I believe even if you stay in the nearby shelter you can reserve a space for dinner. I highly suggest taking the ranger tour out to the cliffs for the sunset viewing. Plan this trip out in advance but it can be an incredible trip!

On top of the Smokies

I grew up hiking and staying at the lodge on Le Conte, llamas bring in your supplies up one of the few trails that lead to the top.The shelters not far from the lodge along Boulevard Trail. This is definitely the best mountain experience I've had in the southeast and one of my favorite places in the world. Alum Cave Trail is my preferred route to the top and has amazing vistas the whole way up. Once at the top Clifftops and Myrtles Point are a must.