Cheraw, SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Cheraw Camping Reviews
Great experience!

I have loved staying at swamp fox camp ground. We stayed for a few months and have adored all the people here. Especially the ones who work here. Always kept clean and friendly.

Perfect Spot

Great spot lots of trails and primitive at its best.

Quiet & peaceful

Great little gem in the area to avoid the chaos and calamity with the other Uwharrie area campgrounds. Very quiet and peaceful. Spacious lots in a wooded setting, includes a pool, walking trails, and access to Lake Tillery. Ice and firewood available onsite. Bath-houses are dated. Campground staff is super friendly and eager to make your stay comfortable.

Great little place

Nothing to do here but camp and enjoy the day. They will have a beautiful when it fills up. Good hiking trails

Uwharrie trail

Along the Uwharrie trail. Water available on both sides of camp / trail.

Hidden treasure

We loved our stay! Glad to finally find a nice campground just over an hour away from Charlotte. Easy trek for a short weekend trip. We exhausted ourselves hiking and canoeing and much more stuff to do! Nice sites with electric hookups. Firewood available. Will definitely be back!

Good

So, if you end up in a crap site you might drop those 4 stars to 3. Its going to be impossible to determine a great site from a bad without going there since the only pic they have online is from site 1. B loop, has a lot of RVs. A loop, has the amphitheater. C loop, felt like the smallest loop and really close to the entry hiking trail. We've stayed in both A and C. C loop, site 48, is where we stayed this trip. Its a good site. Close to the showers, which are clean and well maintained. Close to the trash bins and water spicket as well. Behind the site is a great little "valley" to explore if you have kids/dogs. Has awesome trees for hammocks and the tent pad doesnt slope. Did not love the fire pit at this site but the sites to the left and right are great. Overall, tons of sites and good clean facilities. The trails are plentiful so you shouldnt run out of places to explore.

Ole reliable

Been here twice. Not bad sites, probably the most consistent sites throughout my reviews. All pads are different so pay attention to dimensions. Bathrooms are ok with showers. Water points around the campground. Long trails to hike and a couple strenuous trails.

Beautiful park

I spent a night at the primitive campsite and hiked a few trails. The park is gorgeous and full of life. I saw plenty of frogs and tadpoles in the creeks, listened to a symphony of birds, and I'm pretty sure heard a few coyotes throughout the night. I also saw an abundance of different species of spiders, dragonflies, moths, and other interesting critters.

The trails were clearly marked and easy to follow. Lots of routes varying in views and difficulty were available and the staff were incredibly helpful. As for the campsite itself, it was cozy enough. Easy to find and it provided a few logs for sitting and a firepit. The rain collection bucket was mostly a little closet filled with spiders and such. I chose to gather water from the creek to purify instead.

My only complaint is that this is a popular park especially during this season. If you are looking for more isolation, then you may want to try this place off season. I had campers on either side of me and the trail was spitting distance from the campsite. While they weren't disturbing or being a nuisance, I go camping to escape people. Lol That said, I genuinely enjoyed my stay and will be back.

So much to do !! Fun activities all the time!

I love it here I can relax or keep busy with all the fun activity! The atmosphere is friendly and fun! The pool the hot tub , volleyball, game room and well stocked store! Bands on weekend crafts golf cart rentals!

Nice get away

No grill, limited camp store. Propane on site, friendly staff.

good campground

Decent campground with a pond for fishing, a swimming pool, and a store. The pool doesn’t have normal steps that you walk down into the pool on, they only have the ladder steps which make it a little tricky getting in with a small child. There is no access to the lake from the campground, but the lake is close by. Very friendly staff. The bathrooms/showers have no ac.

Not overly impressed

Unsure how we felt about this place had to walk so far to get to anything

Always a blast

Bring your ATV AND LET LOOSE!!!

Maiden voyage

This campground was recommended to us for our maiden camping trip with our new RV. We were very pleasantly surprised. Camp site was large, they had two bathhouses, camp store and even a mini golf course. The lake was larger than expected with a beach area. Only negative was that they had the trash dumpsters scattered throughout the park and we had the misfortune of having one at the front of our site and someone had put fish guts in it, which made for a rank stench at our site. We made notes of which sites to avoid as most are good. Some sites even have sewer although ours did not. We were at site 34. All in all it was a great first trip in our new RV!

Family Friendly

Family friendly campground with nice amenities and staff! We have been several times before, and this weekend did not disappoint. Just be mindful when booking sites near the Lakeside Lodge, they book parties, so it’s a little busier & noisier than our preference.

Pretty Basic

Plentiful campsites, we arrived on a Friday without a reservation and were able to get a spot. There is a swimming pool, but we didn't swim. Some hikes nearby, but far from the swimming spots in the Uwharrie National Forest. No bathrooms near the campsites, but there were spigots with potable water. The tent pads were even and well packed. All sites had a picnic bench and a fire pit with a grate.

Family friendly campground

Nice campground with a decent bathhouse. There is no AC in the bathhouses. Site 98 in the electric loop is for tent and pop up campers, but is not pop up camper friendly. The ground is very uneven. There are many trails to go on. We went on the Big Rocks Trail. There wasn’t much to see until we got to the end of it and went down the cliff. Then the views were amazing. It was not a loop trail, but you hike to the cliff then turn around and go back the way you came. They offer canoe and row boat rentals, they have a swimming pool that is open after Memorial Day. They also have a museum you can check out during the day. Overall, nice campground. We enjoyed our time there and were able to see several deer.

Awesome Spot for a race

Camping to the general public is not permitted here unless you’re in a group, or volunteering. The first weekend in March most of the roads in the refuge are closed and is staged out for the Sandblast Rally. Tons of fun for a volunteer and a great excuse to be outdoors.

Small cozy site

Only about 25 or so sites. All with water and electric hookups. Per did not work at our site so we had to move from our great lake view site to one next to the bath house. Hiking trails not do good

Backpacking In Uwharrie

It should be no shock to those familiar with North Carolina’s geography that if one is seeking higher altitudes and breathtaking overlooks, Uwharrie is not the place he should go. Notwithstanding, as much of the higher elevations are impassable during the winter months, the forest offers backpackers an opportunity to stay on the trail a few days. The Uwharrie Trail, which pretty much spans the park north/south is about 20 miles point to point. The trailhead is kind of hard to follow sometimes, sections of the trail are prone to flooding and creek crossings can become difficult following heavy rains. Overall, however, the forest is a good place for backpacking in this region of the state. Th streams, provided one has filtration or iodine tablets, provide ample sources of drinking water.

Convenient Weekend Spot

I’ve gone here a number of times and it is great for its convenience. You can drive up to a parking lot, walk into the woods and set up shop. There are sites at the parking lot and also plenty of people just walk down the gravel road and shoot off into the woods. You’re close enough to the cars that you can bring more. Will definitely be back!

Great Campground

I tent camped at Morrow Mountain state park. As a campsite it is wonderful. Great camp pad to set up your tent on and very nice bathrooms. The only thing i would say negatively about it is that it is quite off the beaten path so does take time to drive all the way through the park to the campground. Other than that it had a very nice atmosphere

Great off-roading

First time at Uwharrie and we drove about 5 hours to get there but it was worth it! It’s a huge area with several campgrounds. We stayed in 2 different dispersed primitive sites and they were both great. Plenty of space and trees and privacy! There are a 6 different stores/gas stations that have the overnight passes available for purchase. We got our passes from Eldorado outpost and the attendants there were very knowledgeable and helpful! We also took our Jeep on the OHV trails and had a blast. There are several places you can take a canoe or kayak on and the scenery on the lake was beautiful as well. They also have several hiking trails throughout. Canebrake horse camp is located in Uwharrie and has horse trails throughout. We didn’t come across a park store but they did have showers and bathrooms in the actual campgrounds. There’s a store/gas station (Eldorado Outpost) right down the road and they also have an air compressor for inflating tires (which is handy for off-roading). It was definitely a long drive but we will definitely be making the trip again. We really liked the secluded primitive campsites and the various trails we were able to take our Jeep on.

Dispersed camping/hunting area

This area was a place that I went often to deer hunt in the fall. I have never came across another camper/hunter at this location. It is a good location if you are looking for an area that is away from camp grounds and heavy traffic. I never shot a deer here but they are in the area.  The area is just SW of Troy, NC down HWY 109/24. On the map below, it is the most western forest area.

Link to Map:

Little River National Forest Area

This area was one of my favorite ares for dispersed camping in Uwharrie National Forest while living in North Carolina. The area can be accessed by boat on the Little River, or by hiking in. Me and my friends would always float our kayaks down the river to a place we called "Bird Dog" and camp for the night. If you are looking for a place that has very little traffic, this is the place you want to go! This area would be limited to dispersed camping due to no campsites. It is a National Forest so be mindful of rules and regulations while visiting!

link:

There is a boat ramp where PEKIN ROAD crosses the Little River.  PLEASANT GROVE CHURCH ROAD pretty much cuts right through the area on the PDF.

Great Family Campground

I have stayed many times in this campground. The tent pads are quite compacted but drain well. In addition to the nearby lake, there is a pool you can take the kids to. This is very dog friendly. Not too much traffic for the kids either. I have seen a rattle snake!!

Great little spot for everyone

Awesome park about ten minutes outside of Florence. Has an environmental learning center. A canopy boardwalk in the trees. Kayak loading dock. And small campground with archery course.

Permit needed

Large area where dog training sport hunting is permitted. Not a campground. However home to the largest rally race in the southeast!

Camping with permit only

Home to an awesome rally that takes place in the month of March.