Morrisville , PENNSYLVANIA

Most Recent Morrisville Camping Reviews
Beautiful and peaceful. Worth the drive!

Site Details: We stayed on site#40 in the Garrett Loop. It is one of only three FHU sites in this loop(the rest are primitive tent sites). The site was level, spacious, beautifully shaded, and convenient to the bath house. In fact, almost every site on the inside of the loop had its own little direct pathway to the bath house. The camping loop in general was beautiful, quiet and heavily forested. I don’t think there was a bad site in the whole loop.

Facilities/Overall Park: This park very quickly rose to the top of our list of MD state parks. The trails to the namesake falls are beautiful and very family-friendly, with lots of helpful signage. However, the parking lots and trailheads were PACKED on the weekend, so if you’re a day tripper, get there early! The bath house was meh, but it didn’t matter much to us since we had hookups.

Surrounding Area/Attractions: The neighboring sister park, Herrington Manor, has full-service deluxe cabins and a nice swimming beach. Also, be sure to hit the nearby Rock Maze trail, especially if you have kids. Swallow Falls is also very convenient to the Deep Creek area, with all the touristy things of a lakeside resort town. Check out Lakeside Creamery for some awesome ice cream!

Overall, this was a gorgeous, well-maintained park, with plenty to keep us busy in the park and surrounding area. We already have a return trip booked for next year!

Great Snow Hike

Got out for a couple hours hiking in the snow. It was great. Just what we needed to stretch the legs and enjoy some family time. We did the Palomino Loop.  It also was quite interesting getting to the trail. Some nice snow covered back roads.

Decent

While there are not many trails and no camping, the area is pretty with rolling hills and gorgeous sunsets to be seen. This is a sports complex with many activities available.

LHHT

Oh the LHHT. What can I say. You are beautiful. And a beast. And breathtaking. Rafting in the yough is lovely as well. Such a fun area!

Clean trails and beach

The lake offers great relaxation and the trails around the lake offer pretty views. Only wish that there were more trails available because it’s so beautiful in that area!!!

Engagement photos

My now husband and I took our engagement photos here and it was beautiful! A few trails and ponds to explore as well

My go-to

This is my absolutely favorite go-to weekend exploration spot. She never looks the same, and every season has a new vista to offer

Nice stop on your way somewhere

Very nice folks when you check in and large general store/laundry facility. It is a great launching pad if you would like to do things in the area. The campground hosted a gigantic bonfire the night we were there which was a sight! The sites are pretty close together and we couldn’t use our fire ring because it ended up being very close to our rig. Luckily we camped with friends who had more space in their spot (the end spot near the lake has to be the best spot in the place). I couldn’t get it level with my Anderson levelers it was pretty slopped. On my way out I heard they were having someone come in to level the sites so I imagine it was just the time of year we visited.

Nice and quiet

This rating is just a personal preference. We needed a spot to stay for the night, and the drive up was not worth it. You drive up a long, steep, windy road to the campgrounds, not to mention the drive to get to the town was very out of the way. If you’re on Sprint or T-mobile - there is no service. We thought it was a little pricey, about $30 for one night. We were also charged 10 extra dollars for having a cat(that never leaves the van) for one night.

Fall Camping in North Central West Virginia

The McCollum Campground at Coopers Rock State Forest is a great place to stay. The sites are nicely spaced apart, the camp staff is helpful, and the showers are very clean. The camp Wi-Fi isn't the best but we did have cell service with Consumer Cellular (AT&T Towers) and were able to work while we camped. The campground is only a short drive to the scenic overlook but if you're feeling adventurous you can take a hike. There is a playground for the kids and plenty of room for them to play. My only complaint is the firewood available to purchase. It's a small bundle for the price.