the dyrt
Atglen, PENNSYLVANIA
Most Recent Atglen Camping Reviews
A Fantastic Campsite for River Recreation

Our favorite place to put in our kayaks, throw a line in and hang up our hammocks. We usually plan to go camping with 1-2 other families to split the rates for longer stays at the campsite. We bring two 5 gallon collapsible water containers and separate drinking water. When we stay longer we bring a solar shower bag full of water as well for showering.

Think of the campsite like a permanent dispersed camping site and you will be prepared. There are some amenities that make staying here easy, like a camp kitchen area with food prep area separate from the picnic table and solar bag compatible camp shower area but it is a rustic experience overall.

Very nice campground

Nice campground with good camper spots. Large spots. Nice cabins as well!

Love Halloween weekend

My kids loved the Halloween weekend! Will definitely come back!

Beware the stone quarry

Was not happy with the service or our tent site. There is apparently a stone quarry behind the campground that runs 24/7, which is loud. I have 2 autistic children with me (that love camping) but we were all kept up all night with loud noises. Thankfully, they didn’t do any “blasting” When we where here. Yes, blasting, I was told a siren goes off and there are loud blast. I initially asked if we could move our sites and I was told “you can hear it through the whole campground”, i then asked if we could rent a cabin on the other side of the campground. I was told no because I had my dogs with me. Poor customer service, you can’t make an exception?! There is no warning about the quarry or I would have never booked here. Never again!

Huge Forest With A Few Designated Tent Sites

This is a good free state forest with maybe 10 (or less) designated tent-camping sites, and designated areas for deer hunting. Each campsite features a picnic table or two, and a fire pit, plus one bundle of firewood. The ground is dirt covered with woodchips and sometimes evergreen needles -- pretty easy to sleep in a tent. There are a couple portapotties in the camping area, which are a few feet from one campsite, or a few blocks from another. There is one water pump. And there are plenty of hiking trails in the state forest, complete with mushrooms, and deer-hunting-stands.

RV camping is not encouraged. Horseriding is encouraged. And you may regret not brining mosquito repellent. The blood-suckers are relentless.

My only beef is that it's a legitimate campground, which means, neighbors. But the neighbors aren't unreasonably close, so it's actually pretty good.

Family friendly and wonderful people

Stayed here 3x each time in October as they are very close to the PA Renaissance Fair. Easy to get to and beautiful setting, gorgeous trees and feels very woodsy. Pond is okay, could be nicer. It can be noisy near the highway so we always try to get furthest campsite away. Wonderful and kind people work here and lots of activities for kids to do!!

Nice family campground

Spent several nights at Brandywine Creek campground in July, in the middle of a 6 week trip with our granddaughter. Quite, well kept camp. Clean showers. Nice pool. Close to Valley Forge military park, and convenient to Philadelphia by train.

K.O.Amazing!!!

Fishing available!!! Big sell for me

Well kept campground and facilities. We’ve been there several times because it’s so close. The river sites are great but can get muddy and there is a big hill to get up and out. The pool is nice, they have a store and a playground.

Rundown

Sites are swampy if they've had rain! Took us over two hours to disconnect because of mushy, muddy site!.. Our Usual disconnect and set up time less than an hour!

Many seasonal or annual sites were trashy and their rigs very dirty!.

Personnel were very nice and considerate but area needs over haul and cleanup!

Not sure about other sites but ours had a big 'tank' that was used for sewer hookup instead of group connection as did all the sites around us

definitely going back

we just got a camper and new car…. we wanted to go just for one night to see how it goes… plus taking a special needs grandson… wanted to see how he did. we got lucky to be around a family who fosters kids w special needs and understands Him. I would say bring your kids bikes… it’s a nice relaxing, wooded area. loved it and everyone was so nice…. definitely gonna go back! 👍🏻👍🏻 for me.

Huge park with lots to do

French Creek is a beautiful park with lots to do like: boating, hiking, swimming, and disk golf. Unfornatlaly the campsites are really close together not allowing for much privacy. That said, the bathrooms were clean and there were sinks right outside them where you could wash your dishes.

Lovely park but...

Green Lane Park is a lovely park with several well marked trails for hiking. The campgrounds are clean but the sites are way too close together and there is not any privacy.

Family Campground

Great campground with lots of amenities. The staff was friendly, the store had essentials and more, and there was great hiking right from the grounds. Our site was a little rocky so he prepared with a good mat/mattress if tent camping. Our site was on a little stream which was relaxing. All around great private campground.

Beautiful, large wooded sites and lots of hiking trails

This is a nicely laid out campground with 4 loops and many site choices - non-electric, electric and full hookup sites (water, sewer and electricity); a couple yurts; and 3 camping cottages. (There are cabins elsewhere in the park.) We just showed up on a Wednesday in early October but I'm sure you'd need a reservation on a weekend.

Activities

• See the photo that shows 35 miles of hiking trails. It's an excellent brochure! Some trails are hiking only; others allow mountain biking in addition to hiking, and there are equestrian trails.

• Boating and fishing

• Swimming pool by Hopewell Lake

• Disc golf

• Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site is on your way to the campground.

The Sites

• See photo of the campground map along with typical site photos.

• 4 loops: no electricity in A and D, mix of electric and non-electric sites in B, and a mix of full hookups, electric and non-electric sites in C. Loop C is the only loop open all year with no guarantee of access in the winter.

• Asphalt pads are all supposed to be 45 feet.

• The sites looked level but many of the pads in Loop A were just a bit downhill as you back in. That means our heads are downhill for sleeping unless we turn our teardrop trailer, so we just looked until we found a level site. If you're into leveling a camper, it's not a big deal. We can adjust our back end, but we don't mess around with anything else. It is what it is!

• There are water spigots around the loops and recycling/trash disposal and a dump station on your way in/out.

• Site map shows some ADA accessible sites.

New Restrooms Are Worth Noting

• See photos.

• Push button showers. You can't adjust the temperature and you have to keep pushing the button every 30 seconds or so. I guess this saves water.

• Two utility sinks outside the restrooms are a good addition.

Pet Owners: Pets are only allowed in loop C.

A Couple Warnings

• PA state parks do not allow alcoholic beverages at all. That's what they say.

• Hunting is permitted in most of the state park. That would put a real damper on my hiking at certain times of the year because the hiking trails run right through these areas.

Great trails

Perfwct for the beginner many trails to walk and bike pwt friwndly and maybe you'll see a bear

Quiet, secluded Susquehanna River getaway

Otter Creek Campground Review

Otter Creek is located at 1101 Furnace Rd, Airville, PA 17302 and is directly aside of the Susquehanna River and Otter Creek in York County. This campground is perfect for all kinds of people from family, campers, boaters, fishers, someone who is seeking rest and relaxation, peace and quiet, adventure seekers on the river, history enthusiasts, trail seekers, nature lovers and more!

We stayed over Labor Day weekend however it rained so badly on Friday night that York was flooded in several areas so we decided to stay home and leave on Saturday morning. I am so glad we did because roads we needed to travel on were closed and we wouldn’t have gotten through anyway. Luckily on Saturday we didn’t run into any problems on our travels.

The campground itself is up on the hill overlooking the river. As you pull into the driveway you are directed to the right and you pull up to a gate. We were buzzed in and followed the signs to check in upon arrival. The camp store was very nice with basic RV equipment and accessories. There was also a small variety of food available like peanut butter and jelly, milk, marshmallows, candy, gum and they also had hard Turkey Hill ice cream. Upon checking in we were greeted by a very nice woman behind the counter and received the information on the events planned for the weekend. We purchased our firewood (tractor bucket full for $35) and proceeded to our site #21. That was a great price and it lasted us for both nights we were there. We pulled around and found our site easily and got set up. Our site was very large and there was a wooded area between both sites aside of us. They both looked to be permanent sites. Once we had our popup set up and everything in order we were ready to start our fire and relax.

The campground was very family friendly. There was a nice playground with a rockwall, slides and swings. There was also a volleyball court along with two horseshoe pits. They had a few kid friendly events planned like the Hershey Zoo and Family Bingo. They also had a food truck on site on Saturday for a few hours. Just down the road about a mile or so was the Indian Steps Museum which is owned by York Conservation Society. Across the river there was a wildflower sanctuary and Wind Cave that could be accessed by ferry or you can drive there and park along the road.

The river is only a short walk from the campground which is directly across the street at Otter Creek Picnic Area where there are private and public boat docks. You could easily fish from anywhere along the riverside and there was even an area where there were a few baby swings and open area for play. There was a small parking lot which would accommodate up to 10 to 15 cars. The parking lot is located on a series of corners so be careful when pulling into the lot.

Unfortunately, with all of the rain we have had here in Pennsylvania this summer the river was brown with mud and tree debris. There was no way any fish was going to see anything in that water. Our son wanted to try but the only thing he caught were branches. The ground aside of the river was also so saturated from flooding it was difficult to walk though without sinking into the ground. It was still very neat and relaxing to hear the rushing of the water from the campground.

There was one main bathhouse with flushing toilets, running water and pay showers. It was $0.50 for 6 minutes as per the sign however when I put my quarters in I got 7 minutes on the clock! I am not complaining. I made sure to use every second of that nice hot shower. There was plenty of room in the shower and stall however the shower curtain could have been a little bigger. It looked like a curtain for a single shower stall instead of a double which is what you would have needed. So the bench where my clothing was got a little wet and the floor in the dressing area was pretty flooded. Other than that it was very refreshing and well needed.

The campground is on about 4 acres. It was uphill in parts so it was nice to be able to walk our two dogs around in a large circle without having to leave the campground. They were pretty pooped by the time we got back and were ready to rest by the fireside. There was a nice pavilion right aside of the playground which was only one road behind us. We could hear our son from our campsite. There were also several outhouse buildings where there were two or four stalls with a sink. It was an outhouse but with a regular toilet with seat and lid. The only difference was there was a hole instead of flushing. We were right in the middle of two and close enough to the main bathhouse as well so we had several options for restroom use besides the one in our popup.

We all had a fantastic time and I would highly recommend this campground if you are looking for an affordable, out of the way, off the beaten path,  peaceful and relaxing time to just be lazy and do whatever you feel at the moment. We love to travel to different campgrounds to check out new things and see nature however I am going to add this campground to my list of places for a return visit.

Beautiful andhidden

Bautiful suprise…quiet and enchanted

Family friendly fun

Beautiful camp sites, fun family activities and hiking! Highly recommend.

Relaxing, with activities for everyone- Disc Golf Crazy!

We did a weekend trip with just adults, tent camping. It was quite muddy so we moved our set up into the grass field, we reserved the majority of the sites in this location so it worked well. The RV spots seem nice and large. The bathrooms were nice and clean, showers were nice. There are a few bath houses that make the large camp ground have easy access to the bathrooms which I appreciated. The tent sites are on dirt and not stone which we enjoyed, I hate stone under my tent. The general store had everything plus, and very reasonably priced. The camp ground has a very large golf disc course and they seem to have tournaments. They sell disc golf things in the store as well. This course is huge and brings in groups who play for the day. They do allow golf carts we saw gas and powered. Nice and quite. We had a great time and it’s on our list as a successful tent camping location for us. The owners are AWESOME!

MOUNTAIN BIKE TRAILS EASILY ACCESSIBLE FROM SITE!

Stayed here to experience the parks mountain biking trails. When we got to our site, someone else was there. I went back to the office and they apologized and told us to pick any site we'd like. Very nice staff! We realized that these sites are really set up for roof top tents (as you can see in the pics). But they do have a picnic table and fire pit with grate. It was quite quiet and people were respectful of the peacefulness. The trails are super easy to get to from the campground and some pretty awesome mountain biking! You should definitely check this place out if you like camping and mountain biking. They have trails for all levels.

Nice.

Some of the sites are kind of small.

Beautiful views.

Love the the Susquehanna River.

Nice hiking area.

Great view of the bay!

Nice trails

Nice area for a family hike and a picnic.

Beautiful trails.

There are some excellent views of the Susquehanna River.

This campground is closed permanently.

This campground just closed permanently.

Clean bathrooms, great location and good sized sites

Elk Neck had some of the cleanest bathrooms I've ever used, and the camp sites were a good size. I didn't feel like anyone was on top of me which was nice. Pretty quiet too, which is always a plus

Wonderful place!

Easy place to camp. Very clean grounds. Very family friendly!

Wonderful