Arendtsville, PENNSYLVANIA
Most Recent Arendtsville Camping Reviews
secluded and lovely

great campsite right on the Susquehanna! secluded and nice amenities!

We Return Regularly

Love the surrounding area. The camp store is one of the best. We have attended Holloween event several years and it’s so much fun with decorating contests and trick or treating!

Great for Car Camping

We stayed in the Bear Branch Loop of the William Houch Camping Area.  This is a lovely area if you're a beginner camper or just looking for the glamping experience.  The sites are small and not very private but are well defined.  It's very clear where to park, set up the tent etc.  The park itself is very scenic with nice hiking trails and a lake to enjoy.  I was there in the fall so didn't go out on the water but can imagine it would be popular during the warmer months.

A Hidden Gem In Central PA

The campground has approximately 35 sites, most with water and electric, which is rare for many PA state parks. The sites are mostly level, gravel, and good sized for averaged sized RV’s. Larger rigs may have some issues with site length on a few sites, so check ahead of time, but there are a couple pull through sites. Fire rings and picnic tables are at each site, but no wifi in the campground area. We did have cell phone service at our campsite.

The sites along the outer side of the look are more wooded than the inner sites.  The bathhouse is modern, very clean and well maintained. A playground is near bathhouse in the campground, along with several hiking trails. The dump station is easily accessible. Firewood is also available for purchase at the campground.

The campground is located across the road from the actual state park, which is beautiful and well maintained. A large lake is the centerpiece surrounded by multiple hiking trails, picnic areas, and a large swimming pool/aquatics area (in season). The road going to the park and campground is well maintained, with very wide shoulders for easy access, biking, and running. Fishing and boat rental are available on the lake.

We had a wonderful weekend at LBSP and plan to include it on our “Go-To” places to visit and camp.

It was a great time on the river!

Stayed here with a bunch of buddies, it seemed pricey at first but ended up being about $20 per person, which wasn’t bad at all! The campsite is huge. We spent our time fishing the river banks right outside our tents and kayaking on the Susquehanna to fish the warm waters. We caught a ton of catfish and carp using live bait. It was a great time at the river!

Love this place!

This is a great little campground with lots of electric sites and nice, updated bathrooms. It’s at the midpoint of the Appalachian Trail so there are lots of great hikes as well as a nice path between the two lakes. Our new favorite in Pennsylvania!

excellent super friendly family campground

we stayed at buttonwood for the first time the end of August. probably the friendliest campground I’ve stayed out. when you arrive you are met by a staff member on a golf cart that takes you to your campsite. he helped us back in and get level and offered to bring us ice or wood if we needed it. from there it was “take your time and head down to the office when you are ready to check in”. there is tons to do for the kids. ours really enjoyed the bounce pillow, laser tag and peddle cars the most. there is also a small pool and nice canopies around the pool to sit under. my wife’s favorite part was the wine bar on site with local made wine and wine slushees!

the campground is divided by a local road and has 2 different feels. the lower section is right by the river with several riverfront sites and many river view sites. the upper side has the playground and kids activities and feels more set out in the country.

only downsides I can say about this campground are the sites are small. we where on the upper side and it felt more like tailgating than camping but everyone was super friendly. also plan on spending $20 per person for an activity wristband that includes all the extras including mini golf and tubing shuttle.

Not impressed

While the area is beautiful, we were not impressed with the campground. We have a small 19” travel trailer which was almost impossible to park due to very tight sites. Sites are almost on top of each other - we had a group of people with tents next to us that were basically on top of us. Not their fault…it was the size of the sites. Staff was not very helpful at checkin. It was relaxing being away but won’t be back. We did hear that they are remodeling campground so hopefully they provide more room for the sites

Very nice!

We camped here over Columbus Day weekend. We wanted a quiet escape. We had one of the few full hook up sites. Very quiet and peaceful. Lots to do at the lake if you want or quiet enough to just kick back. Bath houses were very clean. Staff was pleasant.

Beautiful and cozy

It rained most of the weekend, but we still had a blast! The trail to the lake is accessible but far enough that you avoid the high day use traffic. The campsites have trees and some privacy.

Perfectly awesome

We stayed here May 1st, one night, it was a weekday night so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. I start my review with that because we have heard this place can get very busy. They said it has long already been completely (180 sites!) booked for Memorial Day. That being said, we tent camped, it cost about $25. We bought three bags of their kiln dried wood which made for a wonderful and easy fire ($15), the tent sites were perfectly flat with crushed gravel and fire rings. The place was CLEAN as heck, the bathroom/shower were so clean it was like it must have been built last week. I mean seriously in perfect condition, water was hot the sites are not on top of each other and each has its own designated parking area. The surrounding park is seriously gorgeous. You cannot go wrong here, we enjoyed every single second.

Quaint and inviting

We've been here a few times and only choose this campground. Everyone from the campers to the staff are inviting and friendly. Artillery Ridge is close to the battlefields and has all the fun of larger campgrounds. Our #1 place to go

Loved my trip to Hershey-Thousand Trails

The first thing to know is that Thousand Trails sites are a first come, first serve. Meaning you have to arrive early in order to get the best spots. They don't reserve sites for you. For everyone complaining about driving around and not finding spots, if you get there early enough aroung 1 pm, you wont' have a problem.

This campground is located behind two farms and behind some woods, so you won't be able to see it from the main road. That is great because there was no traffic noise around. When we arrived to the gate house, the woman there was very helpful in recommending sites area for us. We chose a pull through site for our 30 ft TT since we are newbies (our 4th trip). There is ample space between you and your rv neighbor and no real obstructions to park. The trees are not in the way of the parking space. Each site had a lamp post so that at night, you could easily see where you are parked but they place them low to the ground so as not to add to light polution. The roads are a mix of gravelled area and asphalt. They have an overflow area for those with extra cars and those with tow dollies. This keeps the campground from looking like a junk yard.

As for the entertainment, we arrived too early for the pool to be open but they do have an indoor hot tub for those 16 years and older that is open. The store hours are a bit strange, with some days being open until 2pm on some weekdays. Their store has a good supply (just the essentials) but their best selling item is Hershey ice cream (so good!) They have a tennis court, mini golf, basketball court, and you saw many kids out witth their bicycles. There is even an arcade center for the kids and a rec center with a pool table.

The campground is very safe at night, no noise disturbances at night and we had no problems having our kids wander around by themselves. The batthrooms are nice and are designated shelters in case of severe weather. The pond is not suitable for swimming and has no swimming signs around. Nature decided to reclaim the area and the fish have an abuncance of kel to live in. It is a wonderful fishing and boating area.

All in all, it was a lovely campground.

Great Family Spot!

Brought our 5 and 7 year old kids here on a Dad’s weekend. Camping sites are standard and well spaced out. Bathroom facilities were very clean and I’d say even better maintained than most. Kids love this place because of the other activities like laser tag and the cart track. I wondered why a camp site needs these things and the fact is they don’t. But when I ask which camp site my kids had the most fun at, they said Little Bennet because of the activities. We prefer hiking as a family and staying away from crowds and this camp site wasn’t crowded or felt busy. It’s a quick drive from NOVA but just far enough where you feel away from it all.

I don’t think they need to show movies at night. Live music or something more interactive like a bon fire would help elevate the experience.

Clean and Quiet

Our site was very nice! We were in a back in site #4. The patio was concrete stone, very pretty. Nice chairs, fire pit, and picnic table. The bath house was extremely clean and very nice. The pool was nice, but being that it was the end of June, the water was freezing! I couldn't get in! There was only about a 15 minute drive to the Hershey park, which was really convenient.

Great campground and fishing

I went to Cordous State Park, outside of Hanover PA, with my 5 year old grandson. One night and two days, and we had a ball. I included lots of pictures in this review.

The lake has lots of game fish, as you can see by some of my pictures. There’s lots of places to fish from the shore, and boat rentals if you want to fish it deeper. The lake is overrun by white perch and shad. When you catch either, they want you to take them to eat, and not release them. We caught a stringer full, along with a nice small mouth bass that we released for another little angler to snag. I don’t think my grandson cared what kind of fish he caught. He had as much fun with the perch as the bass. He did say the bass was a real fighter, but he’s never caught a pike or walleye🙄.

Campgrounds are very nice. Not a lot of spaces for tents, but the ones they do have seem to be well shaded and quiet. Looks to me like 90% of their sites are set up for RV, and larger vehicles. They also have a few cabins, but I was told you have to reserve them far in advance. Showers and men’s rooms are nice. I can’t talk to the fairer sex side, since it was a trip for the boys.

Very kid friendly. They have playgrounds and other fun things for kids, including a huge pool with slide. You can’t swim in the lake. The pool opens when it gets warmer. Everything you need to fish or camp can be gotten in the park, but I brought everything we needed to save some money. They also have hiking trails, but I couldn’t do them since I’m ADA material. They do have lots of parking, with plenty of spaces for me and others that don’t walk so well.

If you want to eat a meal out, there’re a few places within 15 minutes, and a great family style place, called Friendly Farm, about 20 minutes south. Just in case you don’t want to cook👍.

It was my grandson’s first camping trip, and he’s hooked😁. I plan to take him up for a longer stay, and maybe do some day trip fishing there. I highly recommend this site. I’ll let you know if my rating changes when everyone else invades later this summer😖. For me it’s a short trip, so Tom and I can go there anytime. It’s open year round, but you got to leave at dusk.

Nice hiking. Connect to AT. Campground’s are well kept.

Lake area can be crowded on weekends, I tend to avoid.

Hike from visitor center to AT is steep and rocky

Wet muddy

Lot of stone being spread.. hope they plan on spread ing more

Perfect place to camp!!

This campground is fantastic! Great sites and clean facilities!! If you’re there around Columbus Day weekend, check out Colorfest in the town of Thurmont!!

Honeymoon July 1999

We chose to go camping here for our honeymoon. The campground offered a lot of hiking trails and swimming. Our campsite wasn't very well maintained as it had a lot of rocks throughout and didn't make for comfortable sleeping. The fire ring to use for the evening to sit at wasn't well kept and we were afraid a fire wouldn't stay well in the ring. We didn't use the amenities that were offered as we mainly used the campground as a place to rest our heads and breakfast as we were doing a lot of touring of Gettysburg.

Best Gettysburg Stay

We are local and love going to Granite Hill for our spring and fall trips. They have friendly staff members that help make your stay pleasant. We live the B section, but there are other great spots, too. Hands-down, this is the best campground in Gettysburg.

Camping Trip

Not a bad camping trip. We stayed in a tent site with electric. It was pretty crowded. The sites were pretty close together and covered in rocks but level. It wasn't our favorite spot/site but there were a lot of things to do in the park! The young kids really enjoyed the playground and beach.

A Fantastic Campsite for River Recreation

Our favorite place to put in our kayaks, throw a line in and hang up our hammocks. We usually plan to go camping with 1-2 other families to split the rates for longer stays at the campsite. We bring two 5 gallon collapsible water containers and separate drinking water. When we stay longer we bring a solar shower bag full of water as well for showering.

Think of the campsite like a permanent dispersed camping site and you will be prepared. There are some amenities that make staying here easy, like a camp kitchen area with food prep area separate from the picnic table and solar bag compatible camp shower area but it is a rustic experience overall.

Great trails

Well maintained park

Fun fun!

Love going here with family and friends.

Love it!

Great place to go fishing!

Excellent

Perfect place for a family camping trip.

Birch Run Appalachian Trail Shelter

Great spot located in a wooded area. Fresh flowing water in the front with an incline from beside & behind the shelter. There’s a newer built privy up hill. And the shelter is located between Quarry Gap & Tom’s Run.

Very nice and beautiful park!

Not only is it a beautiful area hike through or to tent in but there’s many interesting and historical spots located throughout Michaux Forest that are within hiking distance.