Halsey, OREGON

Most Recent Halsey Camping Reviews
The Best

The best in Salem, very clean.

Pretty but:

It’s very pretty by the river but people that are long term have junk in their front yards and the managers allow that! Makes it look junky! Rules aren’t enforced

Ok

Used to be great. Last time we were there it was pretty run down

Peaceful

So relaxing and many swimming holes. Trails to walk and see the waterfalls. Very easy to moderate trails that have been pretty kept up by forestry workers and the community.

Family friendly

I have been going here since I was a little tyke with my family and have enjoyed it every time. There are tons of things to do around the campground. From Swimming and catching crawdads to hiking the old growth trail there is almost something for everyone. There are even ADA camp spots if needed. They cleared out trees and brush a few years ago and made it a little bare in places. But with a little time foliage has grown back to make the spots a little more private. We love utilizing the horse shoe pits (bring your own shoes) and the day use area if friends join us for the day. The creek if fun to play around in and you can walk all the way to the Siuslaw river with a small dammed up are where the day use are is. There is also a small boat ramp near that is used moderately. In all we love this place and will keep the tradition going by bringing our kids here every year!

Nice camping near Yaquina Bay

[ PROS ]

• Big interpretive/visitor center. It was closed during offseason but I hear the Rangers host lots of fun activities for kids
  • There is a hospitality center where you can purchase firewood ($5), bags of ice, along with other fun gift items. You can also pick up brochures, maps, and other helpful information about the park's activities
  • Lots of hiking and equestrian trails around
  • Beach trail access that takes you right to the coast
  • FREE HOT SHOWERS!! Woot woot! I'm from CA so most CA State Parks have pretty sad showers that you have to pay for. This was such a treat for us.
  • Clean restrooms, plenty of stalls, ample toilet paper, soap dispenser. The restroom facilities are really nice!
  • Close to Rogue Brewery. We went on a day trip to visit the brewery, enjoy some local brews, and have lunch. The place has so much fun merchandise and beer for souvenirs.

[ CONS ]

• Really crowded campground. We came during offseason (mid-November) and the place was still mobbed. We were on a 2-week camping road trip and all the other campgrounds we visited along the way were really empty, this place looked fully occupied as far as the eye can see.
  • Individual sites are pretty small and close together. Not the worst I've experienced, but I was definitely wishing for a little more space
  • Not many tent sites. Only 60 tent sites and 227 electrical sites. We ended up getting an electrical site (based on availability) so we were surrounded by large RVS all around.
Standard KOA

Very standard KOA right off the highway.

Well loved but well maintained park

Pretty awesome campsites right on the river. That is incredibly well appointed. Full hookups for RVs electric and water. Dump station.

Some Tent sites have a built in shelter over picnic tables. Communal recycling bins. Sink dump sites near all campsites. Very nice bathrooms with full showers.

Handful of sites on the river itself. Big group camping sections and awesome group picnic shelter/hall. Day use facilities.

Very wooded and the campsites feel private. Not far from Salem. Playground and activities for the kids. Small info hut and amphitheater. Well loved but well maintained park but is affordable on BLM land.

Great for group camping!

We stayed here for a church group camping event.  Clean bathrooms, great sites.  Lots of room for kids to run around.  Close to the beach and a great local brewery.

Loved this campground !

I camped here 2 nights at the end of my bicycle trip down the Oregon coast (wanted to continue but had to get back to work) I had reserved the site >1 month in advance through the app (Recreation.gov) and hoped it would be a good tent site. It was pretty good but we had to get creative to find room for our 2 small tents. The campground seems more geared to mostly campers and RVs, but there are a lot of sites with good space for tents too. I highly recommend this campground and wish it was closer to my home because I want to go back again!!