Yurts
Equestrian
About Tillicum Beach Campground

Tillicum Beach Campground is popular for many reasons, but the number one and most obvious is its location right on the beach. Campers are lulled to sleep by the sound of the ocean waves, then wake to sweeping views of the Pacific. The campground offers an ideal location for whale watching.

Most campsites have beachfront views, and sunsets are not to be missed. Surfing, swimming and playing in the sand are the campgrounds most popular activities.

Natural Features:

The coastal campground lies a couple miles south of where the Alsea River meets the Pacific Ocean. Tillicum is perfectly perched on the sandy beach yet it still offers some shade. The campground offers views of both the ocean and the Coastal Range.

Recreation:

Campers enjoy Tillicum for its expansive sandy beach. Surfers and swimmers play in the waves just off-shore. Children love building sandcastles on the beach.

Walking along the beach is a great way to explore the area. Cape Perpetua is 6 miles south, where visitors can wander through old-growth Sitka spruce, experience the crashing surf, investigate tide pools, whale watch or take a guided hike.

Waldport, just 4 miles north, provides access to fishing, crabbing, clamming and shrimping in the Alsea Bay and River.

Facilities:

The campground offers several single-family campsites, a few of which have both electric and water hookups. Sites with hookups are not on the waterfront. Due to the campgrounds popularity, its a good idea to make reservations in advance.

Each site is equipped with a picnic table and campfire ring. Flush toilets and drinking water are provided but there are no showers.

Nearby Attractions:

The Rock Creek Wilderness Area, within the Siuslaw National Forest off Coastal Highway 101, encompasses about 7,500 acres. The area is comprised of a dense coniferous rainforest, where bigleaf maple and red alder trees line the creeks, and rhododendrons dot the forest floor.

Marys Peak is the highest point in Oregons Coast Range and has been designed a Scenic Botanical Area because of its rich, unique scenery and plants.

ACTIVITIES

No WiFi
Contact
Tillicum Beach Campground is located in Oregon
Directions
The campground is on Highway 101, 3 miles north of Yachats and 4 miles south of Waldport, Oregon. Look for campground and beach signs on 101. Physical Address: 8199 Hwy 101 N Yachats, OR 97498
18 Reviews of Tillicum Beach Campground
Small ocean side Forest Service campground

Located just south of Waldport in the slightly less crowded part of the coast. The park is located on the west side of Hwy. 101 above the ocean frontage. Several sites are parallel parking spaces facing the ocean with a green lawn and picnic table. The remaining sites are placed in a coastal forest. Some sites have electricity. Central bath/ shower/water. Most sites are paved but very few are level. Bring your blocks.  Only a few sites good for big rigs.

Small size, great views and good beach access. Plus there are two small towns located nearby for exploration, dining or supplies. Some sites set aside for “first come.” Typical site $26, seniors with Federal pass $13.

Best Coast Site!

I love this campground! It has beach access and the sites while some are different sizes are very nice. It has clean bathrooms and drive in spots.

Coastal beauty

Ranger Review: Eclipse Sun Protection at Tillicum Beach Campground

Campground Review:

The Tillicum Beach Campground in Yachats, Oregon is a part of the Siuslaw National Forest. It has amazing spots overlooking the ocean and unbeatable beach access. Some of the spots closest to the ocean even have cool tree canopy covered picnic and tent areas with openings like windows (see photo). Rates are between $23-$30 per night. The campsites along the waterfront go quickly so, I recommend booking when spots are released (rolling 6mos).

None of the waterfront sites have hookups and only a handful of the inland sites have hookups. There are restrooms and water but no showers. Each site has a fire ring and most have picnic tables. The vast beach makes it perfect for walking/running, building sand castles, fishing, and whale watching.

Top reasons I love this campground:

1. Awesome tree covered nooks overlooking the ocean.
  2. Easy access to the beach.
  3. Great for whale watching.
  4. Fishing.
  5. Nice size campground - not too large.

…………….

Product Review:

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, I get to test products. At this campground, I tested the Eclipse Equinox Hoodie Cover Up. I love the idea of having a portable and compact piece of UPF 50+ clothing that I can put in my backpack or purse instead of a having to lather up with sunscreen. The sides open for ventilation and the front pocket becomes a self-storage pouch. It’s lightweight, quick drying, soft, and the special fabric doesn’t have chemicals!!  There’s even a hidden pocket designed for your phone or keys. It features a finger loop so even the top of your hands stay protected.

The stowage carry pouch is great for traveling! It's small, lightweight, and portable. The carabiner makes it easily attach it to anything! Clip it to your backpack or put it in your purse.

My 6-year-old daughter liked wearing the kids sun poncho and I enjoyed knowing that she was protected from the sun without having to slather her body in sunscreen!

Pros:

• Unbeatable sun protection (blocks 98% of UVA and UVB rays wet or dry).
  • Lightweight
  • No chemicals
  • Quick drying
  • Soft
  • Portable

Cons:

• I found both the adult and youth hoods a bit short. The kids sun poncho (for kids 4-7) was too short for my 6-year-old.
  • Could be a bit more stylish.

Overall, I give the sun protective clothing 4 stars and think its a fabulous alternative to chemical filled sunscreen

Beautiful campground right on the ocean

We stumbled upon this gem driving drown the coast. We prefer to boondocks but couldn't find much. Reservations fill up fast but we scored because they had multiple walk in sites still open.

Our 30ft 5th wheel fit easily but the roads in the campground are a little snug. They offer both water/electric sites and dry. Oceanfront are dry only. We had a w/e site and were only 93 steps to the sand. Beautiful beach, very private and quite. The dogs were able to run free safely away from traffic.

Campground does have bathrooms but no showers or dump station. Dry sites were $26. W/E were $33.

Hosts were helpful and very friendly! We loved this campground and will definitely stay again if we're in the area.

The best beachside camping!

Our campsite was amazing! Right next to the beach and fully covered by trees, perfect for hammocks and so private.

Beautiful beachside campground

We stayed at Tillicum Beach campground over Memorial day weekend. We ended up getting lucky and snagging a walk in RV spot. The campsite was large and had a wonderful view of the beach. The sound of the waves crashing at night was one of my favorite things about this campground. Having access to the beach was also a major plus. We will definitely be back!

lovely coastal campground

Be ar Newport, this campground is both car and RV camping. The bathrooms are nice and have running water. You can hear the waves from the campsites.

Beautiful campground on a flat-sand beach, run by the US Forest Service.

Water, toilets, no showers or electric/sewer. Near the highway, but separated by the woods and the close proximity of the ocean.

Lovely, Friendly, and Clean

It was a week before my fall semester of junior year began. I woke up on a Tuesday morning and decided that I would take a quick trip before i was engulfed by homework and responsibilities. I had been craving to see the west coast again. Since I have distant relative in Woodburn, Oregon, I researched campgrounds on the coast not too far from their house. Tillicum Beach Campground was an hour and a half drive from Woodburn and the pictures of the sites and nearby beach were beautiful.

I packed my clothes and camping gear and at noon on the 16th of August, I arrived at my the campground. I knew they offered first-come-first serve sites, and lucky for me there were two left! I paid for site 46. The perfect little site to make into home for a night. I pitched my tent and hammock and set out to do some hiking.

I came back early evening with tired feet and ready for dinner. I lit up the fire pit, sat with a bowl of pre-cooked veggies and rice, and enjoyed the sounds of the waves and a beautifully colored sky. I kept my eyes open for as long as I could to watch the stars that slowly emerged, then by 10 p.m. I called it a night.

It was a slow morning for me. I had only been able to reserve one night and wanted to enjoy every last minute at my site. I dismantled my tent and packed up most of my gear into my truck so I would read on my hammock without worry. A camoground host saw my belongings packed and said, "you have till 1, you should enjoy it until then." I smiled and told him I fully intended to. I finished a book I had been struggling to be consistent with on my hammock. On my hammock that was swinging under a perfectly orchestrated hut made my the branches of trees.

Closer to 1, I packed the rest and drove to the day-use parking area. I walked on the beach for about an hour. I savored the salty air, warm sand, charming homes, and views of the mountains. I occasionally went up to the waves and let the cold water kiss my toes. Then I sat. I sat for a while and soaked up the good western sun. I didn't want to leave this place. I didn't want to leave the other campers that smiled at me when I walked by. Or the locals that gave me advice on the best places to go. Or the beach that had been so comforting.

But I left with every intention to return. Hopefully next time with good company to experience it with.

What a trip. A much needed getaway.

Ocean view and steps to the beach.

This is my Favorite campground. Overlooking the pacific. Walk down a few stairs to the beach. Some side by side sites which are great for two groups camping together. Love it!

will add photos later.