Amsterdam, OHIO
Most Recent Amsterdam Camping Reviews
Something for everyone

We stayed on an electric site with tents and we were impressed with how clean and organized the camping areas are. The shower houses were well maintained, though some of the restrooms are aging. The maps/photos do not do justice to the terrain. Like the trails, be prepared to be on a hill, as most sites sit on the hillside. But with easy access to the hiking trails, a fishing lake, and several swing sets for our son, we will absolutely be returning next year.

A Private Campground (Resort) on the Mohican river.

This campground is a great location for families looking to stay on the Mohican River and to have activities for kids at the same time.  The campgrounds facilities has newer shower houses and a large game/community room.  On most weekends there are themed activities and chances to meet other campers. This resort is busy for most of the summer and sometimes feels a little cramped by how close some of the spots are.  You do need to be a member of Travel Resorts of America or one of there associated partners to stay here but I would recommend trying the free camping from them you will be happy you did.

My wife, Daughter (20 months), and Myself always have a great time here.

Relaxing Campground!

Great place to camp! Quiet and private, hiking, fishing, pool and gameroom. Very close to Mohican State Park for canoeing and scenery. Also cleanest restroom/showers that i've seen at a campground.

Non responsive

Hate for my first review to be a bad one on such a great app, however I feel the need to share. Maybe this will make them more responsive. We had a group trip traveling 300 miles to visit Hocking Hills in Ohio. Booked this trip well in advance as this time of year all campgrounds in the HH region are booked solid. Should’ve known when there was availability for three connected sites during prime season there was something fishy. The campground is right on the river and located 15 miles from HH trails. 15 miles in the hills is a 30 drive to the park. Kind of deceiving to say they are in Hocking Hills. The activity center is blocks away from this campground not as it appears on the web as if it were located in the campground. It looks as if it hasn’t been updated for decades. The real issue we had was the accessibility of the sites. The two track road around the campground had standing water of over 12 inches deep that went the width of the two track and about 10 feet long. Two of our sites were so flooded you’d struggle to find enough dry area to pitch our tent. No way you could park a travel trailer, it was an absolute mud pit. Four calls and no answer. First email they replied to with an unapologetic single sentence saying “before last night it hasn’t rained in a month”. Regardless of it being the night after a rainfall the sites were absolutely unusable. After two further emails they still have not replied. Naturally we paid in full before the trip and they refused to refund. Well actually they haven’t refused refund they just haven’t replied nor cared enough too.

Amazing

The staff was great super helpful. They actually let me check in 2 hours early, which was awesome having 3 super excited fellas. Thank you!

Fave Midwest State Park

I get asked "where should we go camping or hiking in the Midwest?" Hocking Hills State Park is always my go-to answer.

It has a ton of different terrains, it's easily accessible from Columbus, OH, and has great hiking opportunities.

This particular campground is amazing because it's located nicely to many hiking trails but far away that you aren't overly crowded so you still get the feeling that you're in nature.

I've been here a ton growing up in the horse campground area, but most recently was there for tent camping. We were surrounded mostly by RVs, but we fit in quite nicely into our site.

The sites were nicely spaced out and the hiking trails were all nearby.

Nice quiet campground! Owners are super friendly!

Nice quiet campground!  Owners are awesome!  Nice level site we were on.  Small swimming lake!  Canoe rental and jet pack “skiing”

Great place!!!!

Clean, located right on Old Mans Caves.  Friendly staff.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak Firebiner at Zaleski South Loop

Campground Review: With a close friend coming to visit from Spain, I wanted to show her a cool backpacking location in Southeastern Ohio. Zaleski State Forest seemed like a good choice for a new backpacker. There are multiple loops to trek, averaging about 10 miles per loop. Overall the trails are well maintained (minus a few dense areas). There was almost an excessive amount of blazes. Campsites are plentiful along the trails. We stayed at Campsite C. Each site has access to communal well-water and a restroom. Each site usually has a small fire ring and logs to sit on. Overall, the campsites were pretty decent and secluded, but nothing special view wise aside from the typical Ohio forest. I would say pretty overall, but nothing quite outstanding.

Product Review: The Banner & Oak Firebiner is a neat little tool that has some really fun features! Most notable being the fire starter. The Firebiner uses a small spark wheel and replaceable ferro rod to create sparks. The sparks are pretty large for the little tool. I now use my Firebiner to start my MSR stove quickly and with zero plastic waste! I haven’t used it to try to start a straight up fire, but friends have successfully before. Most importantly, the spark wheel is just darn right fun to play with. The device has other little uses like a bottle opener, utility blade, and screwdriver. I absolutely love this device! Only complaint would be that I wish it came in different colors, but who really cares.

Here is a link to check out the Firebiner yourself: https://bannerandoak.com/products/banner-and-oak-firebiner?variant=9696793034788&currency=USD&gclid=CjwKCAjwnMTqBRAzEiwAEF3ndu9CmerLos5Y1yvjGHJ2L4FG732wg9bMpyPAJRa3m8dxlxffZ6Nt-RoC6LQQAvD_BwE

Lots of cool things

I was pretty impressed with the park. Lots of fun for kids with the swimming pond and arcade. As a moto camper, we really lucked out with a flat plot and didn’t have anyone in the spots next to us. My #1 complaint was the bathroom situation. They were VERY far from the camp area (the one in the arcade room was close but it was closed after 11pm) and the bathrooms they did have only typically had one working stall. (If it wasn’t plugged up with you know what). This campground would REALLY benefit from a couple porta johns. The camp store sells ice and firewood ($8 a bundle which is the highest i’ve ever paid at a campground) but it’s nice to have. Cell service is great and right down the road from gas stations and restaurants.

Nice Location and great hosts!

Stacked Stones has a very nice location and the camp hosts/owners are wonderful. They truly make you feel like family. The only complaints that we had was the shower house seems like a scene from a horror movie. Cinderblock stalls with a wooden pallet on the floor to keep you off of the drain. The toilets are non flushing pit latrines. They have some very secluded tent sites which is great when you have dogs. They also allow horses which is nice for any trail riders. Overall a great camp ground with great people. If the bathroom was updated I would give it 5 stars for sure!

Nice quiet campground

Nice quiet campground! Nice pool and playground!

Beautiful, and peaceful!

So beautiful! Perfect right on the river… decent shower houses… peaceful little campground.

Amazing

We have stayed here about a year now and they are amazing and we love this place.

Always enjoy our stay

We have been staying here for 25 years and is always a delight. We usually stay about a week to attend conventions or go antiquing. Wish they still had cable. Nice wide pull thrus.

Two thumbs up

Very nice camp and the staff here are awesome! Definitely will be coming back for another visit some day!

Zaleski backpack trail

The trail is diverse and great for beginners and experienced hikers. The campsites have privies, spigots for water, and a lot of different sites for different sized groups. Its a popular trail for a reason!

Close to Columbus

Nice campgrounds with a big reservoir for boating and fishing. There is a beach area as well for sunbathers. Fenced dog park in the area that I use often. Located between Sunbury and Delaware so there are plenty of places to restock.

Nice Get A Way in Northern Ohio

There is a nice lodge with a restaurant for people just looking to escape from the "city life" for a bit. Also campgrounds for sleeping outdoors with nature. Can go canoeing on the nearby river with canoe rental available and shuttle pickup at the end of your journey back to where you started. On grounds store to buy what you may need and close to nearby Loudonville for anything else.  Been there several times and have always enjoyed my experience.

Nice quiet campground!

Large campground but very quiet. Shower houses weren’t amazing but well maintained.

Great for every age

We went with a group of 12 couples and 23 kids. There was something for everyone. At the top of our list of favorites!

Beautiful area, but a lacking camp ground

The trails and sites are great in this area. Gorgeous waterfalls and most trails have short hikes to the main site to see, great for those kids who hike 5 steps and then complain. The downside of our trip was the camping. The showers and bathrooms looked like they were nice at one time, but have had some poor maintenance over the years. I couldn’t tell if they ever cleaned the facility the whole week we were there. The floor was always muddy, smelled of urine, there are no hooks for toiletry bags to be hung from, the mens had only 2/3 sinks working and 1/2 soap dispensers operating properly. The shower I used had a large section of the tiles on the ground missing along with screens in the windows not being there. It did not seem to have a ventilation/exhaust system and made the bathroom even more un bearable. The campsites are tiny and on top of each other. There was also no palatable water available around the campsites. You had to travel down the hill about a mile and a half to the main building to get some. Maybe it was the season but there were a ton of flies everywhere around the camping sites, the trails seemed to not have this issue. The plus was that we never saw a mosquito and that there is a decent pool available at no cost to the campers. Overall it was ok, but I would likely not stay there again.

Beautiful area and campground

We loved the hocking hills area and the campground was nice and quiet! We camped off on a side loop which was awesome. Only downfalls to this campground was our site off the pad for camper was very muddy and when it rained all the mud washed over our rug and stuff. The other downfall is that the bathrooms are very dirty. We would camp in the full hook up area if we go again

Also the last day when we dumped I washed my hands in bathrooms by the pool and they were so much nicer! If you need to shower I would drive up there!

The pool was refreshing after long days of hiking but the 15 min mandatory rest for adults and kids on the hour was a little different for us as we have never been at a pool that did that!

The trails and areas around are incredible!! Pictures do no justice! We will go back again one day!

Cute.. old and easy.

We stayed at camp Toodik over 4th of July weekend. (5Th-8th) The river was up, so we didn’t get to go canoeing. It rained on us, and our campsite turned to mud, but we still had a wonderful time. This place is OLD.. everything is outdated and worn, the bathrooms/shower were clean.. but dirty at the same time because they were so outdated… But PLENTY of mature shade trees which kept the 90• weather bearable. Their pool was TINY, but clean. Their grounds were well kept and quickly cleaned up after people left. The staff was very STRICT… but still kind. There was A LOT of weird rules (no beer pong-not that we play anymore) but check in and out time were both 4 o’clock- Which ROCKS! (No hurry the day of checkout like normal.) I don’t think we’d stay again but still would recommend it for quick weekend getaway.

Great sites

The campground had many good tent and trailer sites. We had a beautiful spacious site for one large 5th wheel and 2 tents. The campground and bathrooms were well maintained. Lots of good short hiking trails both from the campground and within driving distance. There is also things to do in the areas like zip lining and water sports. Beautiful waterfalls and views!

Independence Weekend

The kids, dogs and parents all had a blast despite the rain Friday and Saturday nights. We will be back again. But will try to get a spot closer to the beach instead of on the other side of Cheshire Rd

Fun for the family

Very lite camping with mostly Rvs and campers. I found the space to be a little cramped but other than that it is located in a very beautiful area that I wouldn’t think was Ohio. Plenty of fun hikes to go on and places to shop. I rented a canoe with my family which was very affordable and turned out to be very entertaining. Overall it is in a relaxing area with a very easy camping style that people who have not camped before will enjoy.

A great campground near some out of this world trails

Many electric only spots, but did have about 30-40 full hook-ups. Camping spaces were about 30-40 feet wide. You get a huge spot.

The trail horribly muddy

The campsites looked OK. Dry. No water available to filter.  Cautioned against using the water. But the trail was a cesspool of mud in too many places esp on the stetch between the trailhead and the loop.  I turned around. The trail needs to be planked, elevated or rerouted. This is on July 1. The seasonal creek beds all dry, but the muddy trail is awful especially in comparison to the hype that I read

Space and Privacy...

…the two things that bring me back to this campground year after year. We have never had a “bad” campsite at the Alum Creek State Park Campground. Each camping space is separated by trees and brush. And there is plenty of room! An added bonus is the addition of several full hook up sites! While the beach inside the campground is small, the main beach for Alum Creek State Park is just a short drive away. One of our favorites!