Pilot Mountain , NORTH CAROLINA

Camping North Carolina Pilot Mountain

Most Recent Pilot Mountain Camping Reviews
Great Place

Needed a campsite quick and Utt's really helped us out. We tent camped but this also looks like a great place for RV's. Friendly people and pretty property.

Great Place

Beautiful Area

Just spent a week with these guys…Great people..Great campground

Great site!

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Rocky Knob campground (loop C) for two nights and it was great! On the first night she saw an elk and that night we heard a bear walking around our tent! If being around large wildlife scares you then this may not be a good site for you. That being said, the bear was minding its own business and same with the elk. The bathrooms in the bathhouse do not have lights or soap so bring a lantern at night and maybe a small bottle of soap. This campground is so great and the rangers are so friendly and welcoming! Firewood is available ($7 for one bundle-I recommend getting two)

Great getaway

We loved our time here. It was fun hiking to the vineyard and to Carter Falls. Very clean and nice place to stay

Nice, small campground on the Dan River

Nice level sites, some open, some wooded, but most are fairly close. Several full-time residents, but mostly for campers. We were in site 23, which was wooded, so we had no satellite coverage. It was 30A/FHU. OTA TV is pretty decent with an omni antenna. Campground WiFi reached 0.85 MB/s, but data rates seemed to vary greatly, and often dropped to zero. AT&T had 2 bars and 3.5 MB/s w/o a booster, 4 bars and 4.9 MB/s with it. There is a nice 1 mile loop trail around the property. Campground was about 2/3 full. They also put up Halloween decorations around the whole campground, complete with a grave yard by the bath house, a really nice touch.

Perfect and peaceful

This is a great place for fall great away. New River VA state trail is great biking. Convenient to BRP AND Mt. Airy visit is also a fun day. Location is central to all. Also great to set bank with a good book and favorite beverage.

In the shadow of the Great Guide.

Overall this is on the keeper list. I found this campsite on line looking for places to stay while hiking sections of the MST. Took a shot and was very pleased with the result.

The first thing to note is that there are new, larger, spaces in the works closer to the entrance with (what looks to me like) sewer hookups. It is good to know that the owners are making improvements and it might be different when you get here.

I stayed in the wooded lots and these are definitely for tents or small trailers. The spots are nice, if not perfectly level and a little close together. Of course that is really only a problem if you have noisy neighbors, which I didn't. The campground looked full over the weekend but wasn't overly noisy. I attribute that also to the beautiful large open fields where all the all the children ran free.

The bath house was very similar to the standard state park setup. It is a cinder block building with a few shower stalls, toilet stalls and sinks with mirrors. Not fancy but definitely clean and functional.

I would definitely come back again and I recommend this camp ground.

Ever See Friday the 13th?

If you can get past the fact that the building with the camp store looks like something out of Hoarders, there's piles of stuff stacked up all over inside & out & abandoned boats you'll find that this is North Carolina's Crystal Lake. The pool & water slide have been neglected sitting unused for many years & a haunting reminder of better days. It's creepy, run down, a lawsuit waiting to happen & either needs an overhaul or they need to close. The upper campground looks like it's mostly full timers & getting a rig up there would be a challenge to say the least. The ones that are occupied have stuff piled up outside it & that's also where you find the cabins but considering the state of disrepair the rest of the place is in I'd be worried about falling through the floor. There's an old abandoned camper that's obviously been neglected from the 60's & I didn't even want to know what was waiting on the other side of the bathroom door up there. The lower campground was close to deserted complete with a old van & hippie, a pop-up camper with tent & another pop-up camper with a tarp over it. The only way to distinguish between the overgrown grass & the campsites are the pole with a number on it. If you have more than 2 people you have to put picnic tables together & the fire rings are car rims without the tire. The shower house is cinder block tombs with rotting bedroom doors & the bathroom is several porta potties sitting around. In the back part of the lower campground there was an old building half enclosed/half open & stuff piled up around it. The only good thing about here is the waterfall. I don't make a habit of writing reviews this negative but this place should come with a warning label.

Very Nice Private Campground

We had the opportunity to stay a couple of nights at this campground on our way to the east coast. Wow, getting there was quite a journey over narrow curvy roads but once there it was a nice area. We stayed in a full hookup site 8 on top of a hill overlooking other areas of the park. They have sites for everyone and every type of camping! The grounds are kept mowed and cleaned, ample trash receptacles that are emptied daily and clean bathrooms. The laundry was nice and if you ran low on quarters the campground store would give you quarters in sandwich bags😀. Really enjoyed our stay there and took a day to explore Floyd.