McLeansville , NORTH CAROLINA

Cyber Monday Gift Extended Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent McLeansville Camping Reviews
New, Basic, but Nice

We only stayed for 1 night as we were passing through, but we plan to return one day.

Positives are it’s a newer campground, nice and shaded, full hookups (w,e,s), lots were wide, Easy to get in and out of, plenty to do within the park (hiking, fishing, kayak/canoe, etc), has a nice dog park, hosts were very welcoming and kind, VERY clean.

Negatives are unlevel lots (we had to lower ours by over 4” and still weren’t level, but couldn’t adjust anymore), sites aren’t exactly private - but there was a bit of space between sites.

Good for Tent Camping

Spent two nights at Site 67. Nice large site with no other sites behind it and nice distance to neighbors on either side. Camp ground host and park rangers very welcoming and helpful. Wood $5 a bundle from camp host. Self check-in board at camp host site. Completely full Saturday night in September, but lots of empty sites on Sunday night.

Well spaced sites

I stayed at site #003 in the Family Campground at Hanging Rock State Park. This was a nice site with a decent amount of privacy thanks to the slight hill that backs the site. Each site has a sand pad for the tent, a concrete fire ring, and a picnic table - and each section is defined by railroad ties. There really isn't an option to put a tent up anywhere outside of the pad on this site. Water is located right next to the site, and the bathroom is right up the hill behind the site. The bathroom has flush toilets and showers, but the showers aren't very inviting. The sites are pretty spaced out, and you don't feel like you are too close to your neighbor. Overall, my stay was nice, but I definitely prefer a more primitive campground.

Great local State Park

Great local State Park. Lots of trails, has swimming lake, waterfalls. The only water/elect sites are for camp host and their guest. We camped at Hanging Rock State Park in a Tent.

Perfect campground and location

Our site was HUGE, private and right near the bathroom with hot showers and large basin sinks for doing dishes. But the best part was that right behind the site was a trail and stream where I relaxed and had my coffee in the mornings while my dog cooled off in the water. There was no one at any of the sites near us, it felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. I do not drink but the friends I went with do and we did not see anything posted on the website about alcohol not being allowed until we arrived at the campground, kind of misleading but I prefer it as the campgrounds are usually quieter if they are dry. There are trails right around the campsite but so many greats spots nearby not to be missed; Lower Cascades, Hanging Rock Trail (yes that looming rain cloud got us), Upper Cascades, Rock Garden, Tory’s Den Waterfall & Cave. All easy hikes, only the Hanging Rock Trail was a bit long for my 12 year old dog but he rocked it and the view at the top was amazing. All of these places get crowded so definitely go, but go early!

Unlevel & messy

We made a mistake. My wife and I are moving to North Carolina, and we were looking for a place to stay for a month in the Asheboro area. I checked around and Deep River was the only local campground with long-term sites available, so I made the reservation. The owner, Scott, was very helpful throughout the reservation process and we thought we were going to have a good experience.

When we showed up, Scott met us at the office and he took us to the "most level site" he had available. I was a little concerned from the start because the sewer pipe was sitting at a 45 degree angle and it was half buried in the ground. I had to help dig out the pipe and when I looked inside I noticed the connection was broken and any drainage would  have leached directly into the ground. Additionally, the sewer connection was more than 40 feet from the center of the site and I only carry 30 feet of line, so we had to back way up in order to hook-up. Unfortunately, that meant that our primary slide was within 3 feet of a giant pine tree so there was barely enough room to open it. Another problem with being so far back in the site was how unlevel the camper was. It took a while for me to get the trailer unhitched and by the time I had it nearly level, I had used all of my blocks and the jack was extended to the maximum height. Needless to say, I did not feel very comfortable with the arrangement and I was really starting to question whether or not to stay.

Then I started looking around at the site and there was trash everywhere with broken pieces of metal and half chewed dog bones strewn about. I looked at my wife and I could tell she was not happy. So I got on my phone, called another campground and made reservations. Scott was understanding, he tried to talk us into trying another site but by that time we had decided to move on. I will give Scott credit, he didn't charge us a cancellation fee, so that was good.

A quick note, the WiFi was limited to close to the office and we would have had to pay Spectrum for a monthly internet connection. Also, Verizon cell coverage was weak.

No Alcohol Allowed!

Nice campground. Sites were level and bathrooms/showers were clean. Tons of great hiking trails all around. No hook ups. They clearly post no alcohol allowed as you enter the park and campground, but really? Well… rangers wander through at night to say hi but also to see if you have any banned beverages out. If so they will make you pour EVERYTHING out. Poor group of guys next to me lost about 4 cases of beer and a couple bottles of whiskey. Keep in mind and be discreet.

Love

It was a great place to stay!!!! Can’t wait to go back!!!!

A great spot for MST hikers

This is a hidden gem for a MST hiker. The campground is located on a private land, has a shelter, a fire pit, and a number of tent sites. It's a hike in only campground, located approximately 1 mile from the roadside parking on Red Mill Road, Durham NC.

The information can be found here:

There is an authorized camping area available on private property in this section of the Falls Lake Trail(between Red Mill Road and Old Oxford Road). Follow the blue-blazed trail off the MST approximately 1 mile west of Red Mill Road. NOTE: This campsite is on private property. It is a HUGE PRIVILEGE to be allowed to camp at this location. Vandalism, neglect or any trash left at this campsite could result in closing of this campsite by the landowner. No water or toilet facilities are provided. There are seven established campsite pads for 2-person tents. Campsite rules:(1) Practice Leave No Trace ethics.(2) Do NOT leave any trash. Pack it in= Pack it out.(3) There is a 2-night maximum stay.(4) Do NOT explore past a 75 yard radius of the Shelter.(5) NO FIRES except in the established fire pit.

Clean,affordable, and friendly staff

Took a weekend trip to Deep River Campground in Asheboro, NC. Very well kept, level spots, pet friendly, big rig friendly with pull through and back-in sites available. Full hook-ups (50 & 30 amp). Fire pit and picnic tables at each site. About $40 a night, no deposit required. With weekly and monthly rates as well. 2 pools (currently closed due to covid), game room, store, and private pond. Located minutes away from multiple trail heads. We were on lot 20, which is a double space designed for a larger rig, very private with lots of shade.

📷 @packupandgo_rv