Gatesville, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Gatesville Camping Reviews
Ok campground, but lots to do!

The campground at Northwest River Park is small and pretty basic. For a tent camper that is used to wooded, private sites these leave much to be desired. There is not much privacy. The campground was full the night we stayed there and very busy and noisy through the night. We stayed on a Memorial Day weekend though so maybe it is not typically like that. All night our young children were woken up by the noise from the nearby RV's AC units.

What this park lacks in it's campground, it makes up for in it's recreational activities! There is a putt-putt course! Canoeing! Tons of hiking trails! Multiple playgrounds! Lots of wide open space for kids to run and play! Fishing! This is an excellent park for kids and families to come for the day!

Overall not a horrible experience but this is the closest campground to our house and we have not felt the need to come back and stay overnight. Maybe would be better for camping mid-week when it's not so busy.

Love this campground!

Lots of things for kids to do! Pool, putt-putt, ice cream shop and so much more. The beach isn't great, you have to go out pretty far to really be in the water, but other then that it works great even has an outdoor shower right on the beach. They have fantastic bathhouses, they are each private. Nice large spots. Only negative is to watch out for snakes.

Not bad

Campsites are nice but be careful the wooden borders is included in dimensions. Nice bathrooms with hot showers. Over 5 miles of easy hiking good for everyone. Gas station right outside visitor center entrance in case you forget anything. Not very many people here so its nice and quiet.

Touristy but neat

So this campground is pretty buildt up and touristy because of all the things to do around it. It’s got a big water park, cabins, trips down the river you can book, things like that. I personally prefer a little more wilderness when I camp, but it’s a pretty nice place.

The allure here for me was all the things to do around it. There’s the natural bridge which is a cool sight to see, there’s a safari that you can go on to see lots of neat animals, some cool hikes like devils marble yard and ceder creek trail. This area is an awesome way to get out and enjoy a weekend.

wow

This place was really unlike any campground I've been to. I've hit some pretty remote places, but this one was different because it was on the beach but still out in the middle of nowhere. I think we went about 7 miles before we got to our campsite, and I think the closest sites from the parking area were 5 or 6. Really there wasn't hardly anyone else out there, so it felt like we had our own private beach. We hiked out to our spot, but we saw some people biking into theirs.

There was a little gift shop when you first came in, so if you really need something you can hike back out to get it. Not too much else out here though besides hiking trials and the ocean.

The most stunning part was definitely the sunsets. No two looked the same, and I attached a bunch of pictures here to show ya. Nothing better than a beach sunset. Plus there are a ton of different types of birds out there if you like wildlife. Also, the saltwater fishing in the area was great. My cousin even caught a few baby sharks.

This was a great way to get away from civilization for a bit and enjoy the beach. Definitely better than going to a touristy beach town. Would really recommend this spot!

Great beach campground

Normally in my experience campgrounds at the beach don't tend to be as nice as campgrounds out in the mountains. North Bay Shore Campground, however, was actually really nice. We didn't spend a whole lot of time there, because we were at the beach most of the day. The campground was really nice to come back to for a break though. It had a pool, arcade, and volleyball nets for when we got tired of being at the beach. Also it had wifi, which is one thing that you can't always find in a campground.

Virginia beach is a neat little town. The beach does get pretty crowded, but there's a ton to do in the area. We mini golfed of course, but we found this cool arcade/indoor mini golf place. There's tons of those little beach shops to blow your money at and a lot of great restaurants. Go visit the cool Neptune statue! Pretty nice trip!

Hometown fun

I have spent my childhood here and I am excited to share it with my kids. We hike here when visiting grandparents. Chesapeake Public Park’s does a great job with events and education at NWRP! Equestrian trails available, which is always a plus.

nice family campground

Nice place for families and rv's, stopped here for a night on the way to Colonial Williamsburg well kept nice facilities just a bit expensive for what i needed. Cool swimming area, this seems to be the only decent spot around.

Wish I could have checked it out!

Arrived here before sun down and planned on hiking in to camp, but was stopped by virginia beach police! Myself and two others were turned away without reason, your'e supposed to park and hike in but an officer was waiting there telling people to leave. Given there was a music festival right down the street with hooligans runnin around, they probably didn't want certain types staying the night here and i guess i fit the bill! Might have to come back and try again..

Great jump off spot

Stayed here overnight and spent my days at Sandbridge Beach and the Outer Banks. Friendly staff, and nice tent spots along the canal. Only downfall was the boat launch was next to my sight, and I was woken up at 6:30 every morning with guys launching their bass boats.