Bakersville , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Bakersville Camping Reviews
Non existent

I lived under mellow mushroom and know for a fact that there is no tent camping here. There are paid parking lots on king and queen street, and have seen campers be able to stay there. But NO tent camping here in downtown Boone. Be better off trying to camp at local park or greenway I think, but there’s so much to offer around, find a nice tucked away spot like trash can falls less than 15 away from there.

Great Campground

We stayed at the Carolina Hemlocks campground while taking a road trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Very private campground that borders the South Toe River. Nice tubing put in and a great swimming spot directly in the campground. The bathrooms and shower was well taken care. Very friendly camp hosts. We stayed in site 31, which was a nice wooded private spot in the back of the campground.

Great Campground

There is a little bit of everything here. Mountain location meets all the view requirements to include the rushing stream as you come in. Owners are supper friendly and want to make your stay enjoyable. There are cabins, tents, and RV sites so you can take your choice of sleeping accommodations. Plenty to do for kids of all ages with game room, swing set, basketball, corn hole, and a field big enough to throw a frisbee or play catch. Add a little creek through the middle and a fishing pond; what more do you need?

Campground is well maintained. The RV Sites are level. The bath house is clean. The WiFi is A++, can you say streaming?! You have your choice of open site or one with tree cover. If you are looking for a place to see the leaves changing color this is the place to stay. Don’t wait to make your reservations it fills up fast!!!

Great Location

We stayed for two nights, a little away from the main camp area but was kinda glad for it. Had a great spot tucked into the woods near the water. Great path to skip rocks and just enjoy. Fire pit was a little weird but made it work. We were close to the road which was kind of a bummer but as I mentioned, not in the main area so probably can’t fault it for that.

When driving through the main area though, spaces were pretty tight, very full, and not all seemed friendly for a camper/RV though there were some. It was truly beautiful though, gas station on the way in and downtown Burnsville/grocery store wasn’t too far away.

Pretty & Pleasant

We stayed in Long Arm paddle-in area 2. Park staff was not very helpful at all when we first arrived, but despite the attitude and the terrible rainy weather, we found our site fairly easily. As other reviews here and elsewhere mention, the tent pads don’t drain well and huge puddles develop- some sites were completely overtaken by a full inch of water. Thankfully the rain stopped on our first night, but it could definitely ruin a trip. The privy was nice to have, but I could smell it at every campsite and that definitely bothered me. Overall a decent weekend, but my suspicions that I am just not a Lake Person were confirmed.

Great retreat

We had a great time relaxing by the camp fire, hiking the trails, and enjoying some time away front town/city life. It was quiet, semi private, and the staff was friendly and helpful. Sites range from tent to cabin, with electric, water and on some sites, sewer hook up. We had a camper van. The site was leveled well, so no jacks were needed to level up the van. Hikes lead to overlooks and waterfalls, and some are quite strenuous. The ground sparkles with mica, giving it a reflective, magical appearance. We had a relaxing and fun time and recommend this for campers. AAA discounts apply, to make it downright cheap to enjoy a getaway.

Great trip

This was a great weekend trip. Camp sites were large and had enough privacy! Very clean bathrooms and showers! Would highly recommend.

This place is incredible

We love Montreat and Black Mountain but we are broke college students so we camp. This beats any hotel ever. I think my dog love that just as much as I did

Pretty nice

Stayed here a for a few nights in July of 2020. Rain was an issue and bugs were pretty bad. Lots of sites along the road with fire pits. Very difficult to get a fire started due to how damp everything was. The road was a bit rough in spots but 4x4 isn’t necessary. I hiked down to the river where the waterfall is and that was pretty cool. Moderate difficulty on that trail.

Wonderful Park, Strenuous Hiking

Camped 9/25-9/27 in the family campground. Stayed at site 13. Super clean bathhouse which was very nice. Shower stall with doors instead of just curtains. There is a sink for dish washing in the back of the bathhouse. Dumpster is at the end of the large parking lot. The river is wonderful to listen to as you fall asleep. There is 0% service in the campground. No carriers had service so be aware.

Hiked to the top of Chestnut Knob and that was a very strenuous and beautiful hike. You will have service at the very top of the hill to call/text family and friends. You can start your hike right from the campground which is another bonus so you won’t need to drive to a trailhead.

Note: Bring firewood with you! Once the visitor center is closed there is none available and the campground has been picked clean of all available logs and sticks.

Overall I would definitely come back to camp and hike again. Beautiful state park!