Bakersville, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Bakersville Camping Reviews
Victor Road Dispersed Camping

There are three campsites located in Victor Road. Victor Road is approx. 2 miles north of highway 80 (highway 80 is is approx 16 miles north of Mount Mitchell) on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The road is initially pavement but quickly turns to packed gravel. The road is a little rough in spots, but I had zero issues in my Honda Accord. Sites are free and do not appear to be managed by any official municipal, state or federal authority…but they are in great shape.

Three sites are available from what I could see. The marker on this map is at the site of what I am calling #3. Sites 1 & 2 are located about 1/2 mile down Victor Road on the left and are adjacent to one another, but appear to be large and have foliage separating them. One of the sites had three tents pitched along side a beach tent and still had plenty of open space in the middle around a stone fire pit. I stayed at site number three. This has enough room for two cars and a four person tent at most. I have a three person tent and it covered most of the flat pad area. The site has a fire pit and is located just before a large(ish) stream that crosses the road. Beyond this campsite, the road turns private. The site is on the left hand side as you approach the stream. There is room on the right hands side of the road for perhaps another tent if one wanted to do so.

This is fairly remote, despite being close enough to the BRP to hear cars occasionally. There are no amenities aside from the fire pit, but it's handy to have a creek for water for filtering or boiling. You should note that there are hunting blinds at the top of the hill between sites 1/2 and 3. These are facing a field that points away from the campsites. I imagine during turkey season (I saw a lot of turkey), you may hear gunshots.

There aren't any trails down this road, but you are within a few minutes of the BRP where they are plentiful and Mt. Mitchell and associated trail systems are less than 20 minutes. The BRP would have to be open for you to access these sites, so plan accordingly (my suggestion is the real time map on nps.org).

Scottish-esque hills

One of my top 5 state campgrounds. Will definitely be back again soon. Wild panoramic views and access to the Appalachian trail only a few miles away

One of my absolute favorites!

Very cool, rustic, and secluded site only a few miles from a great panoramic view ontop or max patch. My favorite thing about this site is all the moss scattered throughout

Beautiful & Clean Camping

So many beautiful sites! This is our family’s favorite getaway and we have been here a dozen times! The campground is in a peaceful setting close to Asheville shopping, restaurants, Blue Ridge Parkway and Arboretum.

Fantastic stop!

Loved this place - great sites, clean bathrooms, nice showers, it was all good! Hope to come back!

Great Site

Great site with very clean bathrooms/showers. Sites are very close together, so if it was a busy weekend, it may be a little snug. However, the campground has great amenities and definitely worth going. Only 10-15 minutes from Sugar mountain and Boone.

Hidden Gem in the City

From the road you wouldn’t guess there’s a giant park beyond the entrance. The rangers at the entrance were super friendly, but they patrol a lot, so often no one is actually at the gate house. When we first arrived we wandered over to the picnic spots along a beautiful stream. A very large blue heron was in the water at let us take many photos. Later he strutted downstream right by our picnic spot.

After lunch I walked the entire campground and chose our spot. It was October and there were maybe 8-10 spots taken in the entire park. Many spots have a good amount of space between them. Pretty much all are shady. Some were on pretty uneven ground and quite a few had big drop offs on the sides or back. Overall, clean, quiet, park surrounded by lots of trees.

Great place to stay

Close to Bristol Speedway, immaculate bath house and laundry, office staff is very friendly and helpful,well kept sights and maintenance and camp host during race time are superb

TN state Park Campground

This is one of my favorite campgrounds.  Family and friends try to go several times a year.  Due to its popularity, make sure you make reservations n advance.

Paved roads and sites. Both 30 and 50 amp service along with water.  There is a dump station as you exit the camping area.

Park is well maintained, bathhouses are clean with LOTS of hot water.  Water pressure is not as good as it used to be.  WIFI can be spotty to weak.