Albemarle, NORTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Albemarle Camping Reviews
Nice spot for a bit of seclusion

Only three sites on this little out of the way fire trail. We go to the end of the road for complete privacy. No amenities other than a fire pit.

Free transit to the park

This campground is owned by carowinds and has free bus rides to and from the park from open until close. Bathhouses are private and clean. The campground is right by the airport so the planes are pretty loud but not much louder than the screams of the people on the roller coasters. This is a perfect place to stay because after a long day of rides you can come right back to your camper to relax instead of driving all the way home.

Family friendly campground

Nice campground with a decent bathhouse. There is no AC in the bathhouses. Site 98 in the electric loop is for tent and pop up campers, but is not pop up camper friendly. The ground is very uneven. There are many trails to go on. We went on the Big Rocks Trail. There wasn’t much to see until we got to the end of it and went down the cliff. Then the views were amazing. It was not a loop trail, but you hike to the cliff then turn around and go back the way you came. They offer canoe and row boat rentals, they have a swimming pool that is open after Memorial Day. They also have a museum you can check out during the day. Overall, nice campground. We enjoyed our time there and were able to see several deer.

Love it

Will go back again an again. Site 10 our 11 are the best.

Great place

So, I finally made it! After years of life in North Carolina I've practically driven past this park a hundred times. I've heard all about it too. And while it's not a "mountain" per se, at just over 900 feet it's about the tallest and most prominent point in this part of the state. There's a significant history both geologically and archaeologically in this specific area that's fascinating.

The Pee Dee and Yadkin rivers snake through these large hills (Morrow Mtn. is clustered with a few others over 400 feet tall all within the park) to feed Lake Tillery. I remember vividly multiple trips to camp on Lake Tillery as a child but I can't, for the life of me, remember a trip to the state park.

On my trip this past weekend I decided to hike the eponymous Morrow Mountain Trail. Actually, the trails were a bit confusing and hard to follow. Many ran in together and split again later. Signage attempted to be helpful but ended up confusing me more at many junctions. It didn't help that recent storms and rain knocked down several large trees and cut streams through the trails to make for a somewhat muddy hike. Toward the end of the trail you start to gain some serious and immediate elevation. It did become quite strenuous, though I had run an 8k just the day before. The view was seriously worth it though. The park info lady in the office said you could see Charlotte from the top, though I forgot to really look…

Maybe because it's the off-season or because of the recent weather, but the park was not crowded at all. This excursion made for a proper rounding-out of a pleasant weekend. I got my NC state park passport book stamped and really had a peaceful time here.

Awesome place

Very nice get away for a weekend!

Nice RV Campground for the Family

Part of the Thousand Trails System. 2 swimming pools, camp store, snack bar, fishing pond (I cought 2 sunfishes in 30 min & I’m no fisherman) basketball court, mini golf, & playground equipment. Multiple bathrooms with showers - nothing fancy, but, adequate. The camping sites are close together, but, that seems standard in these types of campgrounds. People seems friendly and the staff were professional. Store has snacks, some camping stuff, & fishing bait. Snack bar has fast food & video games. Lodge has TV & pool table (we did not try either) but nice amenity for rainy days. It seems like most campers (at least half) had golf carts. This was our 1st stop on a coast to coast adventure with a 5 year old & 2 large dogs. This is mostly a RV park & not a wilderness experience - but as far as RV parks go - I was very happy with the experience.

Clean, lovely conveniently located

I camped here with a women’s hiking group and was impressed.

There are lovely trails, a large playground, nature center, the beautiful lake Wylie {no swimming, NC fishing license required}, geocaching, clean bathrooms and shower rooms, electric sites with large tent pads, good sized fire pit area, picnic table.. there’s even a loving gate with a code for a more secure camping experience..

We could fit 3 tents in one pad AND had a hammocker camper too.

If you are wanting some nature near the city, this is a good option - especially if you are checking out city things in Charlotte.

You can hear traffic at night when camping here so bring ear plugs, headphones or a white noise fan if that bothers you.

Pet friendly 🐾

I saw both dogs and camping kitties

There’s 56 camp sites: these include tent, RV hook ups and some primitive.

There’s group camping at Copperhead Island.

I highly recommend, especially for families with children, lots to do and a safe, secure feeling.

Very clean

Very clean and neat park. Camp host was very helpful. Plenty to do for adults and children.

Amazing

Private but great for families and bike ridding. Private pool game room. Laundry and camp store.

State Park with Biking, Hiking, and Fishing Opportunities

The name of the park is deceiving because it is not in the mountains, but it has beauty in its meandering streams and trails.  The campsites have gravel tent pads, and tents must be set up on them.  The gravel on the site where I stayed was deeper than my tent stakes were long, and I could not get a good hold.  I was trying out a newly required tent, which was not freestanding, so it was frustrating.  My advice is to make sure you take a tent that IS freestanding.  Deep gravel tent pads and non-freestanding tents do not go together.  The tent site was large, had a fire ring, and a lantern pole, but the pad itself was NOT level.  I had to move the picnic table so I could set up my tent on the only level spot I could find.  Something you have to be careful about is poison ivy.  There was poison ivy all around the perimeter of my campsite.  The bathroom facilities were surprisingly modern and had spacious showers with hot water.  As far as I know, there are no electrical, sewer, or water hookups, but there is a dump station.  There is a mixture of pull-through sites and back in sites for RVs.  There are plenty of trails to explore, and plenty of fishing holes.  The Bluff Loop Trail leads from the campground and along Fishing Creek.  To see Medoc “mountain,” you have to hike quite a distance, or you can drive to the park office down the road and hike from there.  Cross the road to the Bear Swamp Trail, get on the Saponi Loop (which is also a bicycle trail), and then head to the Summit Loop Trail.  There are several miles of bicycle trails as well as hiking trails, and some of them are one way only, meaning that hikers are required to hike in one direction and bicycles go in another direction.  Even though this is in the Coastal Plain, the Bluff Loop Trail will take you by a couple of sections of whitewater.  They are small, but if you like a (mostly) easy hike through the forest, this trail is a good one.  There are no swimming pools or playgrounds, but if you want to just enjoy nature, there are hiking, biking, and fishing opportunities.

Backpacking In Uwharrie

It should be no shock to those familiar with North Carolina’s geography that if one is seeking higher altitudes and breathtaking overlooks, Uwharrie is not the place he should go. Notwithstanding, as much of the higher elevations are impassable during the winter months, the forest offers backpackers an opportunity to stay on the trail a few days. The Uwharrie Trail, which pretty much spans the park north/south is about 20 miles point to point. The trailhead is kind of hard to follow sometimes, sections of the trail are prone to flooding and creek crossings can become difficult following heavy rains. Overall, however, the forest is a good place for backpacking in this region of the state. Th streams, provided one has filtration or iodine tablets, provide ample sources of drinking water.

Friendly place but small and on a huge hill.

We stayed at the Electric and water campsite at the bottom of the hill.  The lots were nice but rather small and close together.  There's not a lot of room off the pad for tents etc.  The road through the campground is rather steep and could be hard for large trailers or class A's.  It's also quite a walk to the shower building from most areas.  The pool is nice and well maintained as is the pavilion where they hold events.  The bathrooms leave a little to be desired.  There are only two showers and 3 toilets for men and the same for women.  There are additional bathrooms by the Pavilion but those aren't convenient from most of the campground.  Most of the lower sites are VERY hilly and would make it very difficult to find a large level area for an RV or large tent.  The owners and long termers seem very friendly and welcoming.  The pond is beautiful and pretty good for some fishing with the kids (we caught a bunch of tiny little panfish that would be fun for kids…  a fish every cast).

Convenient Weekend Spot

I’ve gone here a number of times and it is great for its convenience. You can drive up to a parking lot, walk into the woods and set up shop. There are sites at the parking lot and also plenty of people just walk down the gravel road and shoot off into the woods. You’re close enough to the cars that you can bring more. Will definitely be back!

Quaint and peaceful

A few minute walk into all the sites, basic bathrooms by car park, peaceful lake views, some sites close to a walking trail, well spaced apart sites

Great Campground

I tent camped at Morrow Mountain state park. As a campsite it is wonderful. Great camp pad to set up your tent on and very nice bathrooms. The only thing i would say negatively about it is that it is quite off the beaten path so does take time to drive all the way through the park to the campground. Other than that it had a very nice atmosphere

CONVENIENT, BUT...

This is the first KOA campground that I found to be seriously lacking. Campers were very close to each other. The playground, pool area was across the parking lot from the campsites, which I found was not safe for the kids. The site we had was 19, slightly unlevel. There was a picnic table, but no firepit. Apparently the campers before us had a fire on the ground, lol.

Great off-roading

First time at Uwharrie and we drove about 5 hours to get there but it was worth it! It’s a huge area with several campgrounds. We stayed in 2 different dispersed primitive sites and they were both great. Plenty of space and trees and privacy! There are a 6 different stores/gas stations that have the overnight passes available for purchase. We got our passes from Eldorado outpost and the attendants there were very knowledgeable and helpful! We also took our Jeep on the OHV trails and had a blast. There are several places you can take a canoe or kayak on and the scenery on the lake was beautiful as well. They also have several hiking trails throughout. Canebrake horse camp is located in Uwharrie and has horse trails throughout. We didn’t come across a park store but they did have showers and bathrooms in the actual campgrounds. There’s a store/gas station (Eldorado Outpost) right down the road and they also have an air compressor for inflating tires (which is handy for off-roading). It was definitely a long drive but we will definitely be making the trip again. We really liked the secluded primitive campsites and the various trails we were able to take our Jeep on.

Dispersed camping/hunting area

This area was a place that I went often to deer hunt in the fall. I have never came across another camper/hunter at this location. It is a good location if you are looking for an area that is away from camp grounds and heavy traffic. I never shot a deer here but they are in the area.  The area is just SW of Troy, NC down HWY 109/24. On the map below, it is the most western forest area.

Link to Map:

Little River National Forest Area

This area was one of my favorite ares for dispersed camping in Uwharrie National Forest while living in North Carolina. The area can be accessed by boat on the Little River, or by hiking in. Me and my friends would always float our kayaks down the river to a place we called "Bird Dog" and camp for the night. If you are looking for a place that has very little traffic, this is the place you want to go! This area would be limited to dispersed camping due to no campsites. It is a National Forest so be mindful of rules and regulations while visiting!

link:

There is a boat ramp where PEKIN ROAD crosses the Little River.  PLEASANT GROVE CHURCH ROAD pretty much cuts right through the area on the PDF.

Fun fishing

We went fishing for part of the day here. My son thought he was cool because he was the only one to catch fish. The dog was not thrilled!!

Decent

This park was nice the night I stayed. Had we utilized to swimming area or spent more time I would know more. The sites were nice and the bathroom was clean.

Nearby

I didn’t stay in Hunt Camp proper, but just up the road. It is very quiet and enjoyable. Hung my hammocks from nearby trees and slept very well. Doing a little scouting for the upcoming hunting season.

Great Family Campground

I have stayed many times in this campground. The tent pads are quite compacted but drain well. In addition to the nearby lake, there is a pool you can take the kids to. This is very dog friendly. Not too much traffic for the kids either. I have seen a rattle snake!!

Nice, quiet campground

Enjoyed a weekend at this campground that had a pond for fishing, pool, rec area with pool table, arcade games, etc. Clean bathhouses. Shady camp spots. There seems to be some full time campers there but their sites are neat and clean, and they all seemed kind. Some roads may be a problem for larger rigs but we had no issues in our popup. It seemed the larger rigs were near the front of the campground where roads were fine. Note: this campground is within a mile of the NC Zoo. The VisitNC.com website touts you can hear elephants, lions, and monkeys from the NC zoo at this campground, but sadly this is not true and was the reason I chose to camp here. (Imagine waking up to these sounds!) Otherwise, we had a very relaxing weekend. Would return if in the area. Note: town is about 10 min away. There is a golden corral with an awesome breakfast buffet if you get lazy one morn and dont want to cook. Happy trails :)

Great site!

Free camping site until 2020! You can pull in to spots or park your car and hike to one. There are a lot of great spots.

Old faithful

Family hiking and always see wildlife here from birds to snakes. Hiking isnt difficult but there is about 4 miles and some change here to hike.

Almost all good

Great camp site. Great camp host. Hot water at the showers. Trail around the lake was nice but only 5 miles of trails for hikers.

Awesome campground

At the beginning of the trip, I checked in at the visitor center. Carla was very helpful, providing maps and info about the campground. After a beautiful drive through the woods, I arrived at my site. The pad was well maintained and clean. The lake was about 100 yards from my campsite, with a nice trail down to the waters edge. I met the camper in the site next to mine, and we ate dinner together and swapped stories and talked for a while. During the night, the raccoons were a little noisy, but eventually they scampered off to do whatever racoons do. 10/10 Totally recommend.