Hempstead Gardens , NEW YORK

Camping New York Hempstead Gardens

Most Recent Hempstead Gardens Camping Reviews
Great location...easy access to city

We spent 3 nights here last week. I was in NYC for business and we took our RV. Very convenient location. My wife visited Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. The sites had electric and water and were in a fenced off section of tue marina parking area. It was a little loud with city noises, but exactly what we expected being so close. Staff was great. Easy access with our 32 foot RV pulling our Jeep.

Good

Nice location

nice

Good site

This is my favorite all around park in suffolk county.

Camp on grass! Lovely trees. Everyone is nice. Hiking trails are beautiful. Dog friendly. Clean bathrooms

Ideal driving distance from NYC

Mountain Lakes park is a great place to camp within driving distance from NYC. A fun option available at Mountain lakes is to rent a yurt to camp in. The area, as the name implies, is home to several lakes which can be used for various recreational purposes. There are also many hikes which can be trekked straight from the campgrounds which is always a huge plus in my mind. When we were there it was right after a rain storm and everything was a bit muddy and slippery. We will definitely be planning a trip back to Mountain Lakes when the weather gets nicer though!

Difficult trek but amazing views

Suffern-Bear Mountain from Gate Hill Road is a high difficulty 15 mile out and back trail. At one point of the trail is a very difficult, but doable, rock scramble up the side of the mountain. At the top of the scramble is a primitive camping site with amazing views. The most difficult part about camping in this location is that you will have to carry your supplies up the mountain to the site. I would advise packing light if planning on camping here. The campsite is about 2.5 miles from the trailhead.

RV camping only but great as a beach

Nickerson Beach only offers camping for RVs. I do not have an RV so I was unable to spend the night. The beach itself is a great place to spend a summer day and I have gone several times. They recently installed a path that goes all the way down to the beach area so you don't have to walk on the sand for so long. There is also fantastic food in the area as well. The best for freshly fried seafood is a place called Bigelow's (see pictures). Would highly recommend their fried clams!

Primitive site - Right on the river

Stonetown Circular trail is a 11 mile medium/high difficulty loop trail. This is the second of two primitive sites along the trail. The trailhead is across the street from a large parking lot. This site is about 4 miles into the hike. This is a nice spot to set up camp because it is right next to a flowing stream with fresh water. The site is marked by a sign on a tree that says ’The Island’. This is a pretty spread out site with plenty of level space to set up multiple tents. There is a great fire pit to heat up water and cook food. The trail loop is definitely a difficult hike and setting up camp at one of the two sites is a nice way to break up adventure. Be ready for a difficult uphill rock scramble and I would advise packing light.

Primitive site - worth the scramble for the view

Stonetown Circular trail is a 11 mile medium/high difficulty loop trail. This is the first of two primitive sites along the trail. The trailhead is across the street from a large parking lot. This site is about 2 miles into the hike. This is a great spot to set up camp because it has a wide area and an amazing view. You will find the site right next to the American Flag at the top of the mountain. The only difficult thing about this site is that it is at the top of a fairly difficult rock scramble. I would advise packing light if making camp at this site because a heavy pack would make this scramble up the mountain even harder.

Beautiful, accessible

Beautiful trails, flat & hilly. No camping as far as I can tell.