The best WALK IN camping near
Bock , MINNESOTA

Most Recent Bock Camping Reviews
Great campground!

We loved this campground and this area!

We have site 1 which was right on the lake. We were able to park the camper parallel to the lake which was amazing. Such a beautiful view!

The owners and staff were great. They have a small market and a game room. The resort was clean and well maintained. There is a beach. You can also rent water toys, boats and pontoons. You can also bring your own boat and rent dock space. There are several docks you can fish from if you want.

So much to do in the area and this resort is right in the middle of it all.

Great campground

Nice campground with amenities, pool and water play area for kids. Nice on-site store for any needs. I have a small travel trailer that is self contained so I could reserve spots down by the river. Ability to go tubing down the river. You can even get pizza delivered by the local Chanticlear Pizza!

I give it a 4 star only because twice I ran into the same group of people that thought it was ok to open up their vehicle doors and blast music well into the night. Owner warned them the first time but quiet time isn’t until 11 pm. 2nd trip, I just packed up and left.

Interesting Hike, Views

We visited on a surprise warm day in November - wanted to get in a good hike! This park boasts a waterfall, so that sold me.

Park is close to Sandstone for any last minute needs.

• Campground is off and a bit sequestered from the rest of the hiking and kayaking, which is nice. We didn’t drive through out of respect since we were day trippers- BUT I like that they set it “aside” to keep it private. There are trails from the campground itself that connects up with the other trails and the waterfall hike.

• Picnic area pretty great, with little fire ring and picnic table areas separated decently.

• Hike along the Quarry Loop Trail (the hiking club trail) for some interesting facts about the old quarry and stone workers. The ruins are worth an explore for sure! We went a little off trail and went down from the hells gate trail to the portage trail along the river that connects to Lower Hells Gate Trail and the waterfall. Def not for little kids, but a fun rugged experience! Need good shoes and not to be done if wet - could be slippery and dangerous. BUT - you can just take the High Bluff trail above it and be fine!

• This park is definitely busy, my guess is in season that the kayakers are aplenty! Nice bathrooms at the parking and picnic are.

Great hiking, busy park, plenty of amenities, ski trails, known for kayaking, rapids, and a waterfall. Campground set aside from the busy area of the park.

Nice, but not amazing

We arrived at 2pm on a mid-October Friday afternoon and were shocked to find just two open spots. Our spot was along the side road that cuts through the campground so not on the main loop which I think led to there being fewer cars. Overall, there weren't too many spots that I thought looked amazing, but none of them looked bad either. It felt a little rundown, even by state forest standards, but for us that was fine. The road into the park and within the campground is awful, so especially if you're in an RV or towing a trailer, be prepared to move very slowly. But we had a nice two days, went to the lake/beach area which was maybe a 15-30 minute hike away, and also hiked on the other trails a bit. We have a 3 and 1 year old, so didn't make it far :) I don't know that I feel a need to return to this place, but I was happy with our experience.

Wifi only works near office

Sadly I needed 4 hours of internet and my cellular data here was spotty. I spent this time right outside the office.

There is a mini golf course, and an outdoor pool (closed for the fall).

A bit close to the highway but quick access to city amenities.

Mice, Mice, & More Mice!!!

Okay so this state park is beautiful. The trails are wonderful. The campsites and campground are great. Except… I camped here in a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and mice essentially had their way with every part of my vehicle in one night!!! I have a topper and a built-out bed in the back. It was chilly and I had the truck shut—the cab as well as the tailgate and all windows. Still, when I woke the next morning (and for days and days afterward) I found mouse poop EVERYWHERE. They got into plastic bins, duffel bags, backpacks, stuff sacks, etc. Their nasty little feces were found in food, on towels, in the cab, in the bed, in ONE OF MY HIKING BOOTS!!!! Disgusting. Now, my friend who has a 2019 Tacoma said he heard them scampering around in the wheel wells of his truck and crawling all over trying to find a way in, but they did not succeed. I guess because my truck is older and has more tiny spaces they can crawl through, it got the treatment. Anyway, just beware because they knew I was coming and their diseases-infested poops I am still finding weeks later!!!!

Great weekend getaway!

This campground is great for everyone! It’s has a heated pool, splash pad area, BIG playground area, indoor game room, HUGE sites! You can either relax in the pool or even take a ride down the rum river in a rented canoe,tube, or kayak. We would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking to having a great time camping. This place does have 30amp and 50amp hook ups and has pull through spots and sewer sites so that needs to change on this app. Max trailer length that I’ve seen here is 70’. Anyone can fit in here!

Riverside seclusion in an historic location

This is a review for the walk-in, canoe-in campsite #C1.  It is actually located in a secluded part of the park, more than a mile from the main campground.  It is meant to be a campsite for park campers who want a more private location than the regular campground and dont mind backpacking or carting their gear in, or for paddlers from the Mississippi River who access it as a Water Trail stop by paddling to it up Pike Creek.  The park itself is located near the town of Little Falls, MN and there is easy access from Hwy 10, or from the River. In all honesty, I have driven past Little Falls many times en route to Minneapolis or elsewhere but never stopped; I never realized what a small hidden jewel this park is, and within it what a terrific camping opportunity exists here for secluded walk-in or paddle-in campers.

The campsite itself is gorgeous, a beautiful setting on the sandy banks of Pike Creek. My friend and I packed in our gear on the short hiking trail to get here, but I do have a friend who paddled in here not long ago and recommended it highly. Pike Creek is a clear, beautiful stream that is peaceful to camp on, and there are several hikes you can make from the site. There is a heavy duty fire ring with sturdy grill, tenting spots for several tents, picnic table, steps down to the water, swimming access nearby, and rack to store your canoe or kayak if you have one. You do need to hike about 2/10 of a mile to get to bathrooms and water source; you have to hike about a mile to the main campground if you want showers. But if you don't mind the trek for any of those, this is one sweet campsite!

While we were here, we hiked the trail along Pike Creek which was scenic, including rapids; there are many wooded trails, and a longer trail to hike into the location where Charles Lindbergh landed the "Jenny" in 1927 on what was then an open field on the family homestead. We also hiked to the Missisippi River, which is a nice trail in and of itself, but also leads to two history museums and a Living History Site, one operated by the county historicall society (http://morrisoncountyhistory.org/)  , the others by the Minnesota State Historical Society ( https://www.littlefallsmn.com/things-to-do/charles-lindbergh-house-and-museum ) .  The land encompassed by the park is hisotric for 2 reasons: Zebulon Pike spent the winter here with a search party who were going up river to search for the source of the Mississippi River, and probably camped right at the very campsite here on the sores of Pike Creek; and a century later it was the homestead of the Lindbergh family and where aviator Charles grew up. So, camping here is a pleasure if you are interested in history as well as nature, off the beaten path.

In addition, you can bike a bike trail to Little Falls which then connects you to  maze of local trails, https://www.littlefallsmn.com/things-to-do/bike-and-hike , or while at the park you can paddle the river (rent gear locally if you didnt bring your own: http://www.shirleymaesoutfitters.com/ )

You can also drive bout 5 miles to a terrific National Wildlife Refuge at Crane Meadows, we hiked there and really enjoyed bird watching and the rare oak savannah and tall grass prairie.

This campsite is really a hidden jewel. The only reason I didnt give it 5 stars was because there is a train line that runs along the Mississippi River a few miles from the campsite, and the sound of train whistles in the evening really carries. Otherwise it is very secluded and beautiful, and a great choice if wanting to explore the area. if you are a birder, the tremendous variety of birds  (kingfishers, various woodpeckers, warblers, waterfowl, and more)  is great, though be forewarned that a screech owl hangs out near this campsite, and it was a bit unnerving the first time we heard it!

Clean toilet and good ground

The site we had was isolated nicely and the ground was easy for a tent set up. There was some mosquitos, but the disappeared at night which was nice. The trail near by was nice, but driving into the park and finding a trail were better. The fire tower was also cool!

Backpack site not good

I am torn on this. One side of me that likes seclusion, hiking out in nature and not seeing anyone else for miles, really loves this place. But the other half of me that dislikes poorly maintained trail, muddy and buggy sites, no facilities whatsoever and feeling isolated and concerned about injuries really can't review these sites highly.

We parked in the lot located near the Fish Lake Wildlife Area off Shogren Road. There are three remote backpacking sites from 3/4 mile to 1 1/2 miles from the parking area. No potable water or vaults anywhere in site.

Benson Brook is right near the St Croix by a small bridge crossing and literally steps off the hiking trail. I questioned whether it was a legit camping site or not. Randall Creek is on a small low lying spit right by the little creek. You might be able to get enough to filter but don't count on it in later summer months.

Ticks were extremely heavy in the spring. Between the mud and ticks, I would never recommend camping in spring. The hike in was not easy. Downed trees over uphill sections, large sections of mud and some overgrown brushy spots.

We did not see a single soul out there but us. Now I know why. If you love seclusion and don't mind zero amenities, bugs, mud and brush, go for it! It is a survivalist's dream.