Calumet, MICHIGAN

Most Recent Calumet Camping Reviews
Beautiful and quaint right on Lake Superior!

This was a last-minute stop for us because we didn't want to stay at the campground we had originally intended. I found it here on The Dyrt, but bypassed it for another campground option. However, when we drove past the roadside sign, my husband said he wanted to check it out. And we're so glad we did!

When we pulled in, we were told to use the telephone to call the host and they would come and help us out. So when we did, somebody drove up and gave us our choice of spots. The campground was almost empty, so we had anything we wanted, and majority of the options were on the lake!

some of the spots are closer together so there's not a lot of privacy, but the side of the campground we were on had lots of buffers between the sites in the form of pine trees. each site had a gorgeous campfire ring made out of stones pulled off of the beach. It's a red Rock Beach! The bathroom was in a little house, but it had its own shower and looked like something from a log cabin. Not at all like a campground bathroom! there was another shower house at the opposite end of the campground which had similar decor. There was also dump station and fresh water easily available. not to mention the laundry house! Two washers, two dryers, and a sink for scrubbing plus all of the laundry soap and dryer sheets you needed. It was just payment on the honor system to use them. Very reasonable!

there was no electric hook-up at the site we were in, but we didn't need one. However, they were available.

Great little find in Michigan!

Camp on the shores of Lake Superior

What a surprise! Some campsites are right on the lake shore with beautiful views of the lake. Fantastic sunsets, swimming in clear waters. Cabins are clean and well kept w electricity and AC. Woodsy sites are buggy.

Way up yonder

I was so excited to venture all the way up to copper harbor and stay at Fory Wilkins State Park… The camp ground is extremely nice, beautiful setting smaller sites. Bathrooms are outdated but worked. Nice that they had wifi near the bath houses. Staff was friendly and the wood was great for fires. We left early due to so much rain. If it wasnt 9 hours away from home. We'd come more. Site 16

Good Pit Stop

This is a nice clean campground if you’re looking for a quick overnight on your way to a better destination. The sites are wide open with no privacy.

Great week

Quite little park, a waterfall about 5 minutes away. Right on a lake. We were site 44 it rained a lot. But it didn't flood the site. So that was a bonus. Bathrooms were outdated but we'll kept. Dave; the wood guy came around every day at 5 and had some nice wood for fires. We would stay again!

Quiet, laid-back place

Right across the street is a river. They have a few docks. Just a few blocks from the Ontonagon city marina. Somewhat close to city beaches on Lake Superior. The bathrooms and showers are always clean. Nice pull through sites and full hookups. You can socialize or keep to yourselves.

Nice sites overlooking the lake

Some sites had trees with good shade others were in the sun. Most of the sites overlooking the lake were roomy. The fire pits were clean, and the bathrooms were clean. Lots of hike and bike paths, connecting to bike trails in town. Easy and more challenging routes. It is a Mountain biker's dream. The map of copper Harbor's bike trails with rated levels of difficulty is worth the 5$ and available at the camp store. The inland lake is calm and serene, great for fishing and paddlers. The Fort is interesting for those who like early settlement history. During the summer there are student reenactors at the fort to share with you what life was like. Friendly warning to those who want to drive to the peninsula top. Unless you have lifted 4 wheel drive the old logging roads that go there are impassable. It's best reached with hiking or mountain biking. We could not get there in our Subaru. The locals are all very friendly and are happy to help with directions and warnings. One local told us they have even had a few few jeeps tip over on the back roads.

Quit Spot for a rest.

Nice private camp ground. Sites are nice on the North side not to crowded with some trees still. South side much more open.

Nice State Park

Nice for a state park. Exactly what you would expect. Had a nice bath and shower building, firewood for sale, dump station and water fill.

Nice rustic place

New campground 15$ a nite building outhouses And cabins to come. Well marked most sites are set for tents, but several can put a RV in I backed a 33’ into number 70, will return 1/2 mile out of copper Harbor lot of room between sites some grassy some rocky. Quiet place cheap will return

Not too shabby...

I try to avoid state parks when I can, because they are just slightly too crowded and the sites are always a little small. This particular trip we kinda ended up with minimal options because everything was so busy. I will say, the swimming and sunset were amazing. The site we ended up with wasn’t 1/2 bad either. The bathrooms were clean the park has some really nice trails and views. Definitely not the worst place I have ever ended up having to stay at.

Wouldnt be my first choice if we returned

We stayed here for 2 nights 3 days. The spots are not level and where we were was next to a bridge that rvs couldnt cross. I had to back out turn around and then back down the road to get my trailer onto my site. The water and electric is by the road so bring extra hose and cord.

Bathrooms werent tended to as I would expect.

Plus side is you're right next to the mountain bike trailhead, can walk to town, and they have lake frontage on a smaller lake to swim in.

I would up this rating if the park was better cared for and was cleaned as I would expect for the price paid.

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay here!

Lake Linden Village Campground is a fairly small, but nice campground. They have a lower portion that's made more for trailers or motorhomes, and an upper rustic portion for tents. We stayed on a tent site, which was huge! It easily fit our 14 person tent and a 6 person tent. Most of the other tent sites were smaller though. There was one shared water spigot for all the tent sites, and a very nice port a potty. And it was just a walk down the hill to the showers, which were also very nice. It was quiet and nice. I'd definitely stay there again if I'm ever back in the area!

We like it there!

It’s a County Park in Big Bay on beautiful Lake Independence. They have full hook up sites to primitive sites. You can walk/ride bikes to a convenience store, gas station, laundry, and restaurant. Golf driving range behind the convenience store, bucket of balls $5 and you don’t have to pick them up.
Marquette is a 30 minute drive.

Favorite camping memories

Rustic campgrounds with electric hookup, with beautiful Lake Fanny and Lake Superior within a short walk across the street. You feel as if you are at the top of the world, we would definitely come again. The historical Fort was really interesting and we happened to stumble upon their re-enactment. Our 13 year old son was volunteered to play the part of one of the wounded at their medical tent. We have great memories of this camping trip. We have always wanted to come back, we need to stop the excuses and just do it. Lots to see and do in the surrounding area. Come to the top of Keewenau, you will be glad that you did

Perfect (minus the bugs)

We went there last year in mid June. Secluded deep in the woods. Plenty of campsites to choose from. And each site is pretty private from the next site. We choose a beach front site perfect to launch the kayaks. The only thing that overwhelmed us was the mosquitos! We last two days and moved on. Next time we will be a little better prepared!

Remote

Great place to enjoy peace and quiet. Canoeing is a treat as there is lots of wild life to see. Catching wasn’t the greatest but the fishing in absolute silence was perfect.

Meh!

Pretty ok for the traveling camper. Very small. Worthy of a one night stay if you’re on the go. No trees and no privacy.

Nice!

This campground was really nice! I’ve tent camped here and camped in a hammock. Both were so fun!

The Best

I've been coming here for over 25 years- It's a home way from home. A lot of rich history and historical site. The outdoors here is 2nd to NONE.

One of my favorite state parks, EVER.

Ok so maybe I'm biased because I've been here so many times, but this park is a little slice of heaven.  Because the weather on the lake is extremely variable, you never really know what your experience will be like until just before you go.  If it's hot, no problem, you have an ice cold lake a few steps away!  Mosquitoes can be bad, so bring the spray.

Access to Lake Superior can't be beat - there is plenty of room to spread out and avoid a crowd, if you're so inclined.

There are cabins to rent, but they typically fill up with reservations pretty quickly.  There are a few campsites that are more private, but in many cases you might have neighbors close by.  There's a fantastic ice cream shop on the far end of the park - you can either hike nicely groomed trails to get to it, or take a car or bike on the paved road.  There's also a good sized playground, large field, picnic shelters, and a horseshoe pit.

Amazing place, management, and view!

Went here over memorial weekend and I've gotta say it was just wonderful. This is a more modern camp site with a full bathroom and shower for those of us who dont want to make our own Blair witch movie but that doesn't take away from the beautiful lake view and the wonderful surrounding wild life. I will be coming back.

Awesome campground and state park

This campground/state park was absolutely incredible! There’s so much to do between the old fort, seeing the lighthouse, or swimming in the quiet inland lake. The campsite was close to others but felt private with lots of trees surrounding us on 3 sides. Absolute favorite place to camp, and will be back many times in the future!

Meh

Okay. Sites are small and close together. Didn't like the swimarea or layout of the park

Lake side camping at its best

Tent camping right on the lake. Camper camping right next to it.

Nice lakeside campground right off the highway

Mclain State Park Campground is the first Campground that you will encounter upon entering the Keweenaw peninsula of Michigan. It is located directly on the shore of Lake Superior off of Highway 203, and is within quick driving distance of many food options, grocery stores, and gas stations, not to mention Walmart. McClain has campsites and cabins available, reservations are recommended as it does get busy in the summer. The cabins are available for year-round rental and make for a cozy place to come back to after hunting or snowmobiling.

Beautiful, relaxing place, beach to swim at is a decent distance from camp ground, huge park, features some hiking trails, great scenery and beautiful sunsets and sunrises.

Horrible

Never going here again

Hidden gem

Copper harbor is a hidden gem, loads of recreation activities to do, nice amount of campsites

Nice place

Tent camped here one night, nice quiet place