Calumet, MICHIGAN

Most Recent Calumet Camping Reviews
A beautiful, but crowded and expensive spot

Hi, all. So, everyone’s been traveling haven’t they? Us spontaneous no planning SOB’s are SOL. My family could not find anywhere to stay and this was the very last campsite on the map in the state of Michigan. We thought F it. We will pay 30$ for electricity and a shower… honestly worth it for the shower. But definitely not a destination spot if I do say so myself. If you can, PLAN your camping. I’m from MN and am not used to having to reserve your campsite. Plan ahead and get the best of the best. Although, we did have weird luck camping at smaller lakes outside of pictured rocks for free.

Worth the drive!

Stayed here with my family three times over 17 years. So much to do for an off the beaten path. My kids will always remember this place. Great mountain biking trails. The people are just AAA.

Love it

Things I love about this campground: sites with easy access to private lakeside swimming, clean restrooms with Wifi and laundry, the fort is an interesting piece of history to explore, and the conglomerate formation rock beaches of Lake Superior are just a picturesque 5-minute hike through old pine forests. The sites are pretty compact in the east campground (though definitely not the toughest I’ve seen), but the west is more spread out.

Side note for those with sturdy shocks and off-road tires on their car, the nearby road to Horseshoe Harbor offer a short hike to a blissfully private and peaceful beach. Worth checking out!

Unexpected Gem

This is a very nicely maintained privately owned campground. Really great spaces for long Class A and C Motorhomes. Nice fishing on the Ontonagon River and big marina close-by. Porcupine Mountains just minutes down the road. Nice selection of books and DVDs to borrow too. Great play area for kids.

So many things to do

Gorgeous spot, a lot of things to do. Bike rides would take you to old buildings to tour, a mile from town, and some trails to gorgeous spots on Lake Superior. Only bad thing was no real sandy beach for littles- so make sure you bring water shoes.

This is the campground we’ve been looking for

The sites are overly spacious and well disbursed. Everything is super clean. Over a mile of beach gives every camper enough room to feel like the entire lake is there‘s to enjoy alone. I couldn’t be much happier with this campground. The best state campground I’ve been to in Michigan so far. It’s a gem.

Beautiful Michigan park

Nice sites either blacktop, gravel or grass. Majority of sites have lake superior views. Has beachs. One for humans and one for canines. Great for bicycling, hiking, lazy days at the beach. Lake superior water is cold! Has jetty near beach with lighthouse. Great for fishing. Canal to Houghton/Hancock empties into lake next to beach. On western side of keeweenaw peninsula. Has very beautiful sunsets.

Hidden Gem

Beautiful & clean. Great site overlooking Lake Superior. Need to walk over highway to get to water. Very orderly and great Park Manager. Family & pet friendly with awesome playground.

Small Town Campground

The campground is located on the west side of Hancock on the Portage canal. You have the option to camp on the top of the hill closer to the highway or down by the boat launch and biking trails. It has electric and water hookup at most sites as well as a public bathroom and showers. This is a very popular campground so expect it to be a little crowded. The biking trails connect to the newly remodeled public beach and the boat launch is very conveniently located.

Our Happy Place

We discovered this campground 6 years ago when my nephew wanted to camp as far north in Michigan as we could. Since then we've spent 2 weeks each August tent camping on the shores of Lake Superior. The facilities are well maintained and the owner and camp host are the some of the most down to earth people we have met. There's a camp store that has limited supplies but have the essentials. Everything is based on the honor system