North Andover, MASSACHUSETTS
Most Recent North Andover Camping Reviews
Very nice!

I haven’t been tent camping in years but this past weekend I stayed while attending the Levitate festival. I was very comfortable, the bathhouses were clean. Can’t wait to go back!

Love this place

We have been camping here for many years. The staff and seasonal campers are all very friendly. The campground and bathrooms are kept very clean.

First Time Camping

We were lucky to select a very private site. Several more private sites seemed available. Pleasant swimming area, hiking trails, playground. Tiny store. Bathrooms were not super clean, but this seemed expected. No electricity at sites.

Meh

Campsite has been under renovation for a few years now. Changed owners a few times and now is apparently a KOA. Booked a river campsite but there was no river to be seen. Seriously paid a premium and was told we had to walk through a path (there was no path). Pool was overcrowded and could use some TLC. Constant drive by by security. Not relaxing, not nice. Wish we stayed elsewhere.

Busy but worth it

Mostly geared toward families, especially with kids. Most of the campground is RV sites. There a a handful of tent sites in the back (no hookups). Bathrooms and showers are very clean, general store and pools are nice and convenient. It’s a perfect distance away from Gillette (a couple miles) if you’re looking for an alternative to staying in a pricey hotel. Definitely not a place I would go to “get away from it all.” You can hear the highway from the sites.

Large, quiet camp ground

Very large campground with lots of woods to block you from other campers. Dog friendly 🐶

Don’t waist your time.

I give it a 2 star because the Staff was nice. The camp ground itself is terrible. It looks like a camper / RV bone yard. Lots of what must be seasonal sites that have accumulated years of scrap metal and trash. Yep there is a golf course but trust me this place does not seem to be fitting for a golf course. The electric plug ins are so far away you have to have about 20yard of extension cord. Of course they conveniently have extension cords for you to barrow for a deposit fee. Long store short I don’t recommend this place at all. I didn’t even stay long enough to take a picture. I backed into my spot got out looked around and got back in my truck and drove north to a much better camp ground.

Beach camping...

This campground might not be for everybody, but if you like the beach you should give it a try. The sites are open with maybe one tree on most sites. Sites have paved and concrete driveways and lots of them have a concrete pad that would be under your awning. They recently built a new bathhouse and re-did the dump station to three lanes. Like I said it’s not for everybody weather is pretty much an open field with some sporadic trees, so very little shade. The ocean is on one side and the Merrimack River is on another side with a marsh that is great for canoeing,kayaking and fishing on another side.

Awesome, fun, clean

Great spot run by a gentleman named Keith, he’s been running it for years. Such a nice guy. Spot has great sites. I use tent sites, usually by the river. Spots are clean & roomy. Bathrooms are alway clean & showers hot. There are trails you can hike and explore. Just a really fun place to stay.

Ranger Review: Gregory Octal 55 at Gilson Pond Campground

Gilson Pond Campground is small— just 37 sites nestled into the woods near a swampy, but beautiful pond in Jaffrey, New Hampshire. Most people stay here because it is located in Monadnock State Park at the base of Mount Monadnock. Have you heard of it?

Mount Monadnock is 3,165 feet tall and is best known because of its cameos in writings by both Henry David Thoreau and Ralph Waldo Emerson. It’s quite a prominent peak in southern New Hampshire, and I’ve heard tell that it’s the second most hiked mountain in the world, after Mount Fuji in Japan. Mount Monadnock may not be the tallest mountain in New Hampshire, but it’s rocky and bald, and provides 365-degree views of the surrounding valley and distant mountains.

We chose Gilson Pond Campground because of its proximity to Keene State College, where we were headed for a college orientation, but we figured since we were camping near the base of a famous mountain, we might as well hike it. First tip, camp at Gilson Pond Campground the night before so you can get up early to beat the heat, if that applies, and the crowds.

This is one of the quietest and most peaceful campgrounds I’ve ever stayed at. The sites are super private, the rangers are friendly, and the mosquitoes are ferocious, but I can’t give a campground a bad review because of the mosquitoes. Just a warning to be prepared. There’s a decent bathhouse with pay showers, a small playground, and a loop trail around Gilson Pond that leads right from the campground. No matter which site you choose you’ll be happy. They’re all really nice.

A few words of caution- don’t bring a large RV- the sites are not meant for big rigs. Also, dogs aren’t allowed anywhere in Monadnock State Park, and while we were sad to leave our goodest boy at home, he would have hated the hike up the mountain anyway- too many rock scrambles.

A Quick Overview of the Hike up Mount Monadnock

The ranger at the trailhead office recommended that we hike up the White Dot Trail (2 miles) and down the White Cross Trail( 2.5 miles) so that we could do the steepest route on the way up and take it easy on the way down. This was a great suggestion.

The White Dot Trail starts off flat, but that’s very short-lived. The trail begins to climb steeply pretty early on. The second half of the trail is very steep with lots of rock scrambles. You definitely have to watch your footing most of the hike because the rocks can be wet in places and very slippery. Once you get above the treeline, follow the rock cairns across the ridge. On a nice day, you will be able to see for miles in every direction.

The White Cross Trail is not as steep, but my knees were still pretty sore after all was said and done. We started the hike at 8 am and finished up at 12 pm. We saw about 15 people in total, but when we got to the trailhead, the parking area was full and many people were starting their hike. I’m a middle-aged woman who does more walking than hiking, and I would consider this a strenuous hike that is totally worth the huffing and puffing.

Gregory Octal 55 Review

As a ranger for The Dyrt, I occasionally get to test out products and gear. For this particular trip, I received a discount on the Gregory Octal 55 Ultralight Backpacking Pack. It’s meant for short treks and can carry a maximum of 35 pounds. I used it for day hiking, and found to my surprise, that it was lighter and more comfortable than any of my day-hiking packs.

This pack has oodles of awesome features, including three external pockets, large hipbelt pockets, an Aerospan ventilated suspension system that wicks away moisture and keeps the pack off of your back, and a quick stow system for your sunglasses.

The Octal 55 is hydration bladder compatible, comes with a custom rain cover, and an ultralight aluminum frame. Oh, and I almost forgot the most important part— it’s designed specifically for a woman’s frame. Not to sound cliché or anything, but this pack was so comfy, I hardly knew it was there.

I had a small issue early on in my hike that I will mention. My water bottles, which were stowed in the two mesh side pockets, fell out on the rock scrambles. Because they weren’t held in securely, they would just slide out whenever I bent over. I realized after the fact that there are small straps that can be tightened around them within the pockets. This solved the problem after I scrambled down several rock faces after my runaway bottles.

All-in-all I’m really happy with this pack and can’t wait to take it on some longer adventures.

Wednesday camping

Awesome park. It was a quiet night and bathrooms where clean. Has spacious showers. Park rangers drive around campground often.

Family oriented camp ground quite nights

Loud campers will be asked to leave, there are three shower houses the one closest to main beach is the best with handicapped accessible shower stalls

Pools!

Great campground. The pools are amazing. Kid pools. Adult pools! Adult hot tub.

Lots of partying and duck poop

Last time i was there a fight broke out and the cops had to be called. Attracts a lot of the rowdy party crowd.

My favorite early and late season spot

Well maintained campground with an equally maintained indoor pool making this my favorite cold season spot.

Nicely maintained

Sites are nice and the campground is nice and clean.

Would Do Again

We stayed a week. No issues with water, sewer, electric, and cable. I was on site 87 and was able to level on the first try. The campground is a little tight with a big rig (40’ motorhome pulling a vehicle on a dolly). The sites are a decent size and consist mainly of gravel and grass. Not all sites have a fire pit so be sure to book one if you want a fire pit. The WiFi was better than most places we have camped at.

Electric scooters, golf carts, Segways, etc., are not allowed. That was disappointing but fully understood because of a liability factor. The campground is pretty big which would have been nice to explore on a Segway.

There are two pools. One is for 55 and older. At least there are no kids dive bombing you if you want an enjoyable swim.

They mowed around our campsite yesterday. The employee used a bagged mower to keep the grass off of our motorhome. He did a good job and was very careful with the weed eater.

I will definitely stay here again the next time I am in the area. The owner(s) put the money back into improving the campground. Most campgrounds we have visited in the northeast rarely make improvements - they only want the money because it is a relatively short camping season.

Under construction

Apparently KOA recently purchased this campground and while there were newer facilities (bathhouses mostly) the place was still in need of lots of repairs. River and water slide was fun and they did provide us with a late checkout of 5pm but only because one of my children was covered in ticks from an nest that was on the ground and the other got poison ivy. I don’t recommend camping riverside because the mosquitoes were the worst I’ve seen in my life and I grew up in Maine so I know mosquitoes and how bad they can be. The adults only hot tub wasn’t working on our side which meant we had to go to the one by the water slide with tons of kids nearby. Not very relaxing if you ask me. Staff was friendly enough but definitely did not go out of their way to go above and beyond. Security drives by your campsite on their golf carts a million times day and night and stares you down.

Total Gem!

In a last minute attempt to get some camping in we ended up at this little spot. First of all, as we were driving we were passing all these other campgrounds that looked pretty run down and trashed. Enter Epsom Valley. What an awesome spot!! The owners were so relaxed and friendly, the spots were pretty spacious and the rules were very relaxed.

My friend and I wanted to do a sunrise hike up in the Whites, but due to work schedules could only get a start up after 6pm. My parents were able to set up the RV and we came in around 9pm, no problems and no extra charge for me, my friend or my dog.

Our campsite was nice and level, right next to a river (with free canoe use!) and even had hammock trees.

The facilities were beautiful and clean. The only thing I would have to say is their “playground” needs a little work. I don’t have kids but I don’t think I’d let them go there if I did. It looked a little sketchy.

But my FAVORITE part was what was called the “wilderness area”. AMAZING little tent sites! They were secluded but still had full hookups. This campground truly has something for everyone and we will be back!

Great place

Big rigs stay at the bottom of the mountain where it's flat and are close together. Upon arrival the nice ladies in the office gave me a campsite map and marked 4 sites that were available, asking us to choose one and let them know which one. Sites on the mountain are in mature trees and site surface is dirt. I didn't see any hookup pedestals in the traditional sense but they are there, sometimes on the backside of a tree. Same with water. You need to look around a bit. We received great info about the local area and where to catch commuter trains to Boston. Very helpful office staff. The bath houses are old, could use some paint but are clean and checked regularly. I thoroughly enjoyed this campground. We camped at Cape Ann Camp Site in a Travel Trailer.

Great place

260 site campground with about half with 20 amp electric service. Water spigots throughout. Sites are wooded with mostly hardwood mature trees. There is at least 100 feet between sites. Large sites, couldn't hear neighbors conversations. Loop M backs up to woods so no one behind us. The bathroom was decent for a State Park with 3 shower stalls. The roads are one way smooth and well paved. 12 miles of trails for biking or walking. Fishing and canoeing available. Geocaching in the park. Each site has fire ring and picnic table. Buy your wood when you check it, the campsites are about a mile in. The dump station is conveniently located as you leave. The park is over 3500 acres. The spring house for Mt. Blue spring is down the road to the left going in, to the right leaving. Lots of people come here with gallon bottles getting fresh spring water. We camped at Wompatuck State Park in a Motorhome

Yurts!

Great, well maintained campground! The sites are close together but most spots are tucked neatly among the trees so it still feels like you're in the woods. Other campers were very friendly and respectful; we were there for the Fourth of July. Bathrooms are modern and clean.

We stayed in a "rustic" yurt (#47) - which had no water or electricity, but there was a spigot and outlet right across the road at the bathroom.  The yurt itself was well appointed, with things like bedding, a trash can, and even a privacy screen.  We brought sleeping bags to use, and ended up using them anyway.

$90/night might seem expensive for a campground, but considering this is so close to Ogunquit and the beaches, it's worth every penny for those who aren't looking to tent (or can't) and don't have a trailer.

Pay showers.

MA State Park - Great Choice

There are some wonderful sites in this campground, but not all of them have privacy.  We really lucked out with getting one of a few sites left on Memorial Day weekend - after walking the campground, I think we would have chosen the same one again!  #18 is right next to a ravine, so it was wooded on one side, and the two adjacent camps were visible but not on top of us.  The trees are primarily pine, which made for pretty comfy tenting.  Was a short walk to the facilities, but not close enough for the foot traffic to be annoying.

I loved that there were trails to hike from right in the park; you could do a short one, or a slightly longer loop (2.5 hours depending on your pace) with some inclines and boulders to scramble up and over.  We were on foot, but it would be challenging for mt. bikers in some spots.

Worst campground!

This campground does not even deserve the one star. When you first drive-in the potholes are ridiculous and the sites are unkempt. We would never stay there again!

Excellent Boondock

We’ve been coming here for quite a few years now and have always had a wonderful time. We don’t do the hookups and cramped in very well and BA has several awesome areas to park and just enjoy the area. They don’t publicize the non hookup areas but they are wonderful and generally a returning crowd of great folks.

A true 5 star campground!

There is NOTHING you could want and not have at this campground/RV resort!  The family that runs it are at it 24/7 so you have the time of your life.  Many pools and one is adults only, there are all kinds of activities every weekend day.  Ball field, dog park, it has every thing including smiles!!  I actually store my rig here so I see the cleanliness of this park and the care that goes out to all campers!!

Hidden Jewel

I probably shouldn’t even be writing this review because it may prevent me from being able to stay here again this summer, but this very basic campground gives you everything you need located across a parking lot from the beach. When families are paying over $2000/week to rent within steps of the campground. You can’t beat this value at this prices!

Beachside camping in MA

The feel here is electric, and positive. Lots of RV’s that stay here all summer long. Feels like you are in a tight-knit community, very friendly folks, packed tightly together. Just fine if you don’t mind close quarters. Everyone gets so creative with their lighting/decor, it is fun just to walk around the campsite and admire just how well (and mobile) some folks live. The place comes to life as the sun sets, and stays very quiet during sleeping hours. A very short walk to the stunning beach. Perfect pit stop on a road trip north.

Very small campground

It is small but bathrooms not so clean nd rundown kinda gross someone overdosed across from us and our children had to see this guy come out of tent on stretcher with needle in his arm still

Awesome ppl that work there ultra friendly campers and nice amenities

Love love love this place but the company that owns it encore they suck but the camp ground is ran by a person named tracie and she is so nice and runs the place she and her staff and the campers is the reason we all stay here.