Austin, INDIANA

Most Recent Austin Camping Reviews
State of Indiana Part

Absolutely 1st Class. Beautiful sites, clean, well kept, spacious. This is the model for ALL campgrounds.

Clean campground

It was a great campground but paying to take a shower was a bit much. Especially when you already paid to camp. I would stay here if I had a self contained camper with a bathroom.

Mountain biker paradise

The Campground is on top of the Ridgeline. When we pulled in it was raining and there was smoky mist hanging over the forests. We set up camp and since there were no bugs first week of October we slept with the screen open on the tent. There is a new pit toilet by our campsite which was very clean. We didn't bother with showers because we are stinky mountain bikers. So I can't comment on the shower house. The ranger told us that all the deer had been killed by over hunting in the park, but when we drove back to the Campground after dinner there was a whole herd of deer hanging out at the camp ground. He also showed us how to find paw paw fruit in the woods which taste like a cross between a banana and a peach. Delicious. We only camped two nights but we had a lovely time. We rode the trails which were surprisingly dry and fun. We wanted to ride the flow trail HogsHollow but we didn't know how to get back up the mountain. It's 5.5 miles down and I'm not in good enough shape to climb back up. So maybe next time we go we can call for an Uber since it turns out it is available there. There is supposed to be 200 miles of singletract trails in the area plus horse trails. There is a horse barn for trail rides and also a horse camp. There is a lodge there too but I didn't have time to see it. Also a swimming pool and nature center. The town of Nashville is right there with lots of artsy shops and restaurants in rustic buildings. There are numerous hotels and a music venue and a playhouse. Something for everyone. Unfortunately the bike shop right outside the park went out of business. Can't wait to go back.

Beautiful place

The hiking trails here are awesome! Something for every level! The campground is pretty and spacious. Very peaceful. Great for just day trips as well.

So beautiful !

This place was gorgeous! The hiking trails were amazing, the scenery was breathtaking, the sites were nice, and the nature center was so cool. We had a wonderful time and plan on returning many times to hike all the trails.

This campground is huge! It has a ton of spots. We got a group of spots pretty far back so it was a bit of a drive through the campground. We went on multiple walks and my 2 year old loved it! They have a few playgrounds, including one nestled back a little bit in the trees. The nature center was cool for all of the kids and even adults and the views were just beautiful! We will definitely be back. Would love to make a trip in October when the leaves have changed next year!

Great time

Tent camping & hiking

One of my favorites since childhood.

I have been going here since I was a kid and very little has changed since. That is one of the great things about it. It's a great place to camp with a tent, t.v. or you could rent a cabin. They also have a quarry you can swim or paddle boat in. It has a slide and a trampoline.  No lifeguard on duty, so be careful. Flat rock river runs by a lot of the camp sites. Makes for a beautiful scenery, good fishing and/or float on it in your kayak or on a raft. Fun for all ages!

Beauty abound

This is a good campground. A loop is pretty open without a lot of shade. B & C have lots of shade but the sites are either not very level or not very big. Clean bathrooms with push button showers. We went on one of the easy trails. Be aware this area is very rocky so easy is relate to the surroundings.

Great RV park

Great place for friends and families. Tons for both kids and adults. Super close to the lake and really nice facilities all around!

First time I ever kayaked

Perfect lake to kayak for a beginner bc no wake zone also the cabins are cool and cozy just bring a mattress the restrooms are definitely the cleanest and well taken care of anywhere I’ve ever been

Small near lake

Small sites near the water

Close to town

Great sites close to the lake

Great campground

Campground has clean facilities and good hiking including historic areas

Amazing

Beautiful lake, great sites, friendly camp Hosts. Our electric box on our site blew a fuse and the camp host immediately came over to change it and replaced the plug as well!

Just a few steps from the water.

I was very pleased with our camping expierence at this wonderful campground. 2 days wasnt nearly enough. My kids enjoyed nature, had stick wars, and my daughter learned a few things about fishing. Shower houses were clean. There was an activity center and each day they would have some sort of informational class. Plus, there were some nice playgrounds. The best part. Our campground lot was right down the hill from the lake. Great spot to just sneak away.

Adult weekend

We’ve been going here for adult weekend for a few years! Such a blast! Nice big camping spots and the lake is great!

Great Camping Spot

We camp here every time we come to Indiana. We have camped there in a truck camper, and now we tent camp with our Jeep. The sites are large, and there are fire rings available. There are vault toilets and a fresh water pump not far from them. The only time this camp is full is when a trail ride is going on, then it fills up fast. It is only five miles from Paoli, and there is a Walmart there if you need supplies..

Secluded Site

We loved the primitive camp site. It was secluded and open. We loved seeing the open night sky and preferred it over the electric sites because they were more covered with canopy. I though it was reasonably priced. If you are here I encourage you to visit the Pioneer Village, go to the Nature Center, learn about Gus Grissom, or eat some home-cooking at the Inn (I suggest corn mill pie.) Caving awaits. Bonus - the bathrooms were less then 5 min away.

Amazing sites on the ridge

Huge state park, with beautiful camping, hiking and mountain biking. Sites are large, in the woods and were awesome. Beware, there are rattle snakes. We saw a copperhead and a timber ridge rattle snake. One of the best camp experiences we have had.

Off the beaten path

Site accommodates both horse, drive in and walk-in camping. There’s a privy and water on site. Campsites have fire rings and picnic tables. There is a trail that loops back to the site for easy hiking access.

Great place for a family reunion!

First of all, I have to admit up front, we stayed at this campground during the hottest days on record, for that area. However the park is beautiful and well maintained. Each lot has water and electric. There is a dump station at the exit. The only negative comment about this park is, every lot slopes down towards the lake. If you have levelers, should not be a problem, but be sure to bring extra, because it's a good 3" to 5". We have a small class C and we had to raise the back end (facing the lake) off the ground with our hydraulic levelers. Good think we had leveling blocks to put under the wheels. Also, the decent into this park is steep and the road is narrow. I think there is one section that is close to 8%, however it's short. Verizon phone, Verizon mifi and Dish Satellite, all excellent. Nice thick grassy areas at each site, firepit, picnic table and plenty of room for tent or gazebo. Bathroom/showers very clean.

We were here for a family reunion and used the club house, which was very nice. They also have boat docks, outdoor pavilion, basketball court, beach and swimming area. I would not hesitate to stay here again, but in the cooler months so we could enjoy the trails.

Favorite Campground

This is by far my favorite campground. It is nestled back in the woods of Brown County and is absolutely gorgeous, especially in the fall. It is very quiet. If you can, try and get a spot towards the front of the campground as the back has sites that are pretty steep.

Truly a hidden paradise

Have been going to this campground all my life. I have never had a bad trip to this wonderful place

Nice,clean campgrounds.

Very nice campground and park. Well set up. Easy to get around.Clean restrooms and showers.  Nice lake to kayak on. Beautiful covered bridge. Town is not far away if you need groceries.

Beautiful Trails!

I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking to do some light backpacking for an overnight/weekend trip! Wonderful trails, dog friendly and nice places to camp off the trail. Can’t wait to go back!

Heads up! Refill your water when you come across it; the lake is harder to get to than you think. I would also bring bug spray and check for ticks!

Nice, convenient

Convenient location. Clean restrooms & showers. Had a shady spot for our overnight tent stay. Quiet. Friendly staff.

Close to town with a country feel

To find the campground, follow your GPS to Horine Reservation at 12304 Holsclaw Hill Rd. If you follow GPS to Jefferson Memorial Forest, you will end up at the zipline & welcome center. Once on Holsclaw Hill Rd, follow the road & signs to the campground until you reach a gate. A 4 digit code is given to you when you make a reservation. The gate gives a nice sense of privacy & security for the campsite. The camp sites are easy to find and well marked with big signs. I was at Group Site 1This site is huge! Just a guess, but I would say around 1.5 acres. About 2/3 of this site is open, grassy field. The other 1/3 is shaded. The shaded area has 3 large picnic tables, water, fire ring & a private latrine. I purchased firewood in advance & it was delivered to our site before we even arrived. The dumpster is conveniently located near this site. The private latrine is a small, open-air structure near the shaded area of the site. There are 2 composting toilets & the toilet paper was fully stocked. The building is partially open the elements, so it was a little dirty (to be expected) but we used our hose and sprayed the floor clean. The toilets are "squatting" toilets. Which mean they are close to the floor (see pic). There are plenty of wooded areas to explore & hiking trails nearby & several great areas for hammocks. The site looks well maintained & had recently been mowed prior to our arrival. There are enough trees & space to give plenty of privacy between sites. This site is perfect for a large group or family wanting to tent camp together. The picnic tables are the large, sturdy kind. The fire ring was huge with an attached grill. There was another fire ring and 2 more picnic tables in the open grassy area, closer to the road.  Designated parking is near the road, which is a bit of distance for carrying a lot of gear. However, since the ground was completely dry, we dropped our gear at the shady area and then parked our car at the road. Overall, this is a great space with unexpected beauty!

Nostalgic!

I grew up going to Hardy Lake so it will always have a place in my heart. There is plenty to do with a beach, boat ramps, and many hiking trails. They offer activities on the weekends, especially for kids. I am giving this 4 stars because the bathrooms needs a serious deep clean. The sites are spacious with many different types available. I will stay here again, and enjoyed it.