Quiet Place in the Woods , GEORGIA

Most Recent Quiet Place in the Woods Camping Reviews
Incredible place to hike

Took my boys after studying the 7 Natural wonders of GA and this gorge is one of them. Did not disappoint. The hike to the bottom is not for the faint of heart. And the steps back up will challenge the most fit among us. But the views and experience is well worth the pain. Campground while being big rig friendly is a little tight ( we have a 42ft motorhome). If your large try to book sites 34 or 35 pull through. No sewers, but easy to use dump station next to the exit. Make sure you add this stop to your Must see list

Beautiful mountain setting!

We stayed in one of the tent-only, walk-in sites. This was our first (and so far, only) walk-in tent camping experience as a family. I gotta say - there were challenges.  They weren't unexpected, but still… It should go without saying but nothing here is flat. And after heavy rains some of the trails are not in the best of shape, quite rutted and muddy. So lugging a ton of gear up into the woods was a challenge. It was only 50ish yards, but it was not an easy 50ish yards. So setup and tear down was not the most fun part of the trip. Next time we'll pack lighter for this sort of camping.

However, with that out of the way, we had zero other complaints about our time here. Once we got to our site, it was awesome. The pad was in great shape, flat, clean and plenty large enough for our 9-person tent and all our gear. Other campsites could barely be seen through the woods so it felt very private and secluded.  The bathhouse was good, clean and in good shape. And the setting was amazing.

While here we also hiked a few trails.  The Tennessee Rock trail seems to be the most popular, but let me warn you -- it was NOT as easy as we expected. My youngest kid and my wife turned around and went back. I and my older kids, along with the dog, completed the hike, but it was challenging. Its narrow and very slippery in spots, with more elevation changes than you expect. I mean its not the sort of hike you need to prepare for and pack for the day, but at least have proper footwear and some water with you. And to be honest, if you're going for the mountain views, skip it. The best views in the whole park, by far, are accessible from the roadside, especially at the visitor's center.

Overall though, we thoroughly enjoyed this beautiful park and will definitely camp here again!

One of my favorite places!

We tent camped here back in March and absolutely LOVED IT. The trails were well maintained and accessible from the campsite. The bathrooms were clean and close by. The sites can be close together but I still felt like we had plenty of privacy. The visitors center is also close by! Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get floor permits due to weather-but the other hikes and wineries close by kept us busy. Each site has electrical hookups, fire pit, and a water pump. We can’t wait to go back!

One of my favorites

We tent camped at Amicolola in early May 2020…ir was cold one night but we built a great fire in the firepit which kept us warm.The camp sites are spacios gravel and fenced.I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the park and the amenities, the restrooms were very well kept and the park manager was gracious. They have a water fall and several trails leading dow to a well stocked pond. My grandson caughed dinner…yum. I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and plan to go back.

Wonderful Lake Lanier

This is a wonderful easy access multi sited campground. Boat ramps and lots of trees. Good beaches and lots of room in between sites.

Wonderful view

Park is wonderful, can be overcrowded. Surrounding area can be a bit rundown

Many trials

Fort Yargo is a bit of history for Georgia, restored cabin from 1792. Boating, hiking, camping and cabins with another area that is a private resort. Lots of room 1816 acres, 16 cabins, 6 yurts. Many tent and trailers spots. #34 has full hookups. There is a nice pavilion and a fairly new welcome center. It is easy to get to and there is playgrounds for the young ones.

5,664 acres

With that much room to move around in North Georgia there has to be something for everyone. Great clear cold water offers good trout grounds. Biking is a wonderful since a long stretch of hiking is fully paved. No day trailer parking. Dukes Creek is a destination for several fishing enthusiasts. There are cabins as well, some with hot tubs. There is a visitor center with educational programs, geocaching, picnicking. Once again this is very close to wonderful Bavarian town called Helen Georgia. You will love it.

Nearby, but not at the top of my go-to places.

Although a nice campground several things turned me off about this campground.  Mainly the lack of enforcement of dogs running loose, owners not cleaning up after their dogs and enforcement of number of people on a site.  The roads into the campground loops are narrow in spots and not well marked at all.  Backing our 30' motorhome into our site required asking the neighbor to move his truck off our site and maneuvering around other vehicles parked in the road.  The site was fairly level and offered a picnic table and fire ring with quite a bit of grassy area. Unfortunately, the neighbor on that side decided it belonged to them and set up games in it, then near dark other people joined them and set up a third tent in that area. Sites are 30/20 electric and water, but there is a dump station.  This has the potential to be a very nice campground, and I'll go back sometime. Perhaps we just had one bad experience so we'll try it again sometime.

Great water views

We stayed in campsite 71 for three nights in late January. The weather was chilly but calm. We loved the water views and the quiet setting. During the weekdays we were almost alone in our portion of the park, so we enjoyed taking the dog down to the little beach area (as there was no fishing). The weekend resulted in quite a bit of traffic as all the waterfront lots were filled. Decent separation between stalls, but lost the woody feel instantly.

We selected a site fairly close to the bathhouse, but those facilities were closed the entire time we were there. I didn’t observe any signage about why these where closed. This created a longer walk to the showers than desired in the 30-degree nights.

We arrived after hours and tried to check in the next morning. The office staff was very strict about observing their lunch hour. They were walking out as we were walking up and didn’t offer to assist us. There was no answering machine either as we tried to call a couple times once the lunch hour was over. Once we did make contact they were super friendly and helpful.