the dyrt
Gwinnstone, GEORGIA
Most Recent Gwinnstone Camping Reviews
Great place, very scenic..

With great views of Stone Mountain, close to hiking and activities, and right on the lake, this campground is very nice. It has plenty of amenities and a friendly staff. Where it falls short is at some of the sites. The fire ring and grill at our site (410, loop O) were not placed well; we never used them. Grill was right by the road, and the ring was too far forward. Both items would be better placed at the back of the site. It was quite a walk to get to the restroom. But, the shower and restroom were always clean. They have a laundry as well; very convenient overall. We enjoyed our stay and will certainly be back.

Decent for short getaway

This isn’t my favorite park. There’s a lake, and the campground is okay. They have mini golf and a playground near the dam, but the campground is nowhere near the dam. No real complaints, though. Everything was pretty clean. The campground was pretty full when we got there Saturday night, but most people left Sunday.

So much to do!!!

This is one of my favorite places we’ve stayed! We were atStone Mountain over Memorial Day, they do an amazing fireworks show over the lake, which is great for kayaking (no motorboats allowed!!!) Great for bike riding too. Bathhouses are nice. We were in our pop-up, and had plenty of space. Highly recommend!

Great hiking and camping near Atlanta

We visited this park a few weeks ago with friends and had an amazing time! The park is set up on the land of an old factory that used the river to power a water wheel. There are a whole bunch of trails of varying difficulty and length that meander through the woods along the river. Along with the campgrounds there are also picnic benches and large group areas where you can host a lunch or dinner. We took the trail that shows you where they built the mill then goes along the river for a while. It was a beautiful hike but definitely challenging since there are a lot of rocks you have to climb over. The campgrounds are nice and across the road from the park through you can also take other trails from there that go down and around the reservoir. The amenities are nice and the whole park is well taken care of. I would highly suggest staying the night since it is such a short trek from the Atlanta area.

RV Only site

Make sure to check out my video review below where I show you around some of the campground. This is much more of a mobile home or RV park than a campground since most of the people staying here are set up for long term residency rather than for a night or two. Additionally, it is right near downtown Atlanta so not exactly where I would want to spend the night if it wasn’t more of a home situation. If this is your purpose I would first check out the Atlanta West Campground down the street since it was significantly nicer in my opinion. This location seems mostly like a large parking lot where you can park and set up your site but there is not really any privacy or separation between different RVs. Only a couple miles away is Sweetwater State Park which is well worth a visit and has some wonderful hiking trails.

Great hiking near Atlanta

Nice large RV site near Atlanta

Make sure to check out my video review below where I show you around some of the campground. This is much more of a mobile home or RV park than a campground since most of the people staying here are set up for long term residency rather than for a night or two. Additionally, it is right near downtown Atlanta and alongside a highway so not exactly where I would want to spend the night if it wasn’t more of a home situation. However, for its actual purpose it does a wonderful job and has nice spaces for residents along with a small park and easy access to the nearby areas. Only a couple miles away is Sweetwater State Park which is well worth a visit and has some wonderful hiking trails.

Bring your money ;)

Stone Mountain Park is a reflection of the Atlanta, GA area. In other words you pay for everything you do , from entering the park to traveling to the top of the mountain.

You pay upon entering for parking. If you are camping you still pay for parking when you arrive but get a voucher for the duration of your stay.

This campground has many rules so ensure you review them. Pets are allowed, alcohol is not. Guests are permitted but if they are not part of your original group you have to pay for them to stay overnight. You can not camp in your vehicle. You can not swim in the lake, there is a pool. And so on.

All that being said it is a nice, large campground. Depending on the loop your in you may have more privacy then in others. The sites are not necessarily level if you get in the “tiered” areas BUT you have more privacy. There are some excellent choices for picturesque views of the lake and Stone Mountain. Every camping combination you may need from no electric to full hookup.

In my opinion this is very similar to Yogi or KOA, etc. If that’s the type vacation your looking for. https://www.stonemountainpark.com/Activities

Check out everything they offer and have your credit card ready ;)

Dogs are permitted on the trails around the mountain but not permitted on the trail to the top. I was not aware of this until we got there so we didn’t get to do a picture on top. We did enjoy the trails and lake.

The weather was perfect for camping, cool in the evening, great for campfire gatherings;) The Country Living Fair was on the event calendar so it was a little busy in the park.

Definitely a destination campground and so close to Atlanta you’ll probably want to visit there too.

Decided against it

We may return though! The spots are a bit close together but the neighborhood is quiet. Wasn’t what we expected as there is not really a view of Sweetwater Creek- but it is about a 5 minute drive. We may go back to stay for a while because it is convenient to be so close to Sweetwater and we do enjoy going! 😄

Great camping in the woods

Red Top Mountain SP is a great place to get away into the Woods. The park is just north of Atlanta, so it gets crowded in summer and fall, so reservations are needed. There is one loop of pull-through sites for large RVs, and a loop along the lake with back in sites. There are also some walk in sites along the lake The sites are mostly level, with water and electric. You can get internet for an additional fee. The park has hiking, boat ramps, swimming beach, fishing and mini-golf. Many years ago there was an iron smelter at the site, and in the fall they occasionally have an “iron pour” so visitors can see them smelt iron.

Great sight, even greater staff

Super quiet, clean, and peaceful campground. The staff are awesome,e and super friendly. Clean bathhouse, great Lake views from most of the sights. Will definitely go again.

Beautiful place to spend the day

Hiking, kayaking, swimming- plenty of things to do. You can spend a whole day out here just walking along the creek and jumping across the rocks. We took some great pictures and meditated on the water. I recommend this park to anyone living in the area or just passing through 🤙🏽🤙🏽

Nice but difficult

Nice campgrpund and really enjoyed that we were on the water.

However, many of the sites are very steep and slanted and causes difficulty getting your trailer or RV into the site. Makes leveling very difficult

Good water sports

Rent a kayak, canoe, or paddle boat. Go fishing. Play mini golf. Go swimming in the pool. Hike to the falls. See historical ruins. There’s a decent number of activities here. There are two campgrounds. One follows the river and is more spread out. The other is the lake campground. It’s more of your typical campground with rv sites and facilities- restrooms, showers, laundry. Kayak rental is really reasonably priced, too.

Good views

Fishing, camping, boating on small lake. Drive up camping with hook up

Very cool

This is a pretty cool place. The laser show is a must see.

Nice lake

It was pretty nice, fairly small. The lake is big and has good fishing. Past the dam is a nice river with a hiking trail.

I had a private beach all to myself!

Ok so reading my title might be a bit deceiving. I went to Don Carter mid week after a holiday and the place was pretty empty. While usually that would be a bit weird this park made it one of the most amazing feelings on earth.

I pulled in late afternoon, deer were grazing in the primitive camp zones. I walked one of the trails and then headed over to explore the lake area. I was so pleased by the facility which had a nice sandy beach, outdoor showers, large restrooms and swings ideal for sitting and enjoying a meal by the lake.

I took a dip in the cool waters and though they were not a clear blue they were clear and I could see to the bottom all the way out to the edge of the swimming zone. It was beautiful!!!!

Pricing was very inexpensive for primitive camping which included fire rings and picnic tables and spacing was great!!

I ventured over to the RV area and those site also seemed to be spacious and though there were a few campers in that region it was still very light. I would for sure suggest weekday stay here!!

Tips:

• If you are wanting to check out a rental of a canoe make sure you call in advance, these are only available during certain times. When I arrived I arrived late in the day and they were not available. The following day I also realized they were not open
  • Do some animal watching or photography. From 6 in the evening and beyond you will find deer grazing in late summer and early fall, also raccoons and other small animals can be spotted roaming in some of the open areas
Beautiful place ! Love this area

All types of camping provided. I have camped here twice. I have nothing but good things to say!!!

Great extended stay RV Park

If you are staying a week or longer this is the park to stay. Less than a mile to Ga 400 at Exit 13. Short drive to Downtown Cumming and Lake Lanier. We have been here for over 4 months and not ready to leave. No pool, clubhouse or pool. Just a quite place to enjoy.

A quick weekend trip

Easy to get into with any type of camper or tent. There are multiple bath houses, playground for the kids and all the amenities for the lake. There is hiking, swimming, fishing, boating, kayaks rentals and the trails are well marked and easy. You can also rent yurts and other stuff to camp in.

Very close to Atlanta but feels far away!

Our campsite was perfect. It was right on the lake with a beautiful view. It has a path that goes down to the lake. A lot of the sites are on the lake and most sites offer ample shade. The site was level and flat and had fine gravel to avoid muddy area if it rains. There is a playground if you have small children. Easy access to lake to fish, swim, kayak, and boating. The bathrooms are dated, but clean. There is a wide Trail for walkers and bikers around the perimeter of the lake. We saw sunsets and sunrises from near our site.

Excellent

The campground offers everything you would ever need. There are tons of things to do from Golf ,hiking, zoo, laser show, food and you can hike the mountain or take a ride to the top. There are bike trails and plenty of entertainment for all

Amazing

Tje campground is great but the trails are really what makes the experience. The trails are moderate in difficulty and the views are awesome

Learning experience

We took the guided tour of the Mountain and it was awesome. We ate Pine Trees and they explained about likenand the red fungus. Highly recommended

Loved it

It is easy to get in and out of with a camper or a tent.trails are mild and the fishing is awesome

Great Lake Campsites

This quiet campground is ten minutes from town. Most sites are on the water, tho the water is not easily accessible from the sites. The views are fabulous. There's a boat landing. The playground is crummy. Bathhouses fine! There are several spots to get down and into the lake for a swim. Very well maintained. Most sites are secluded from neighbor. Several pull thrus. Deer and egrets and bluebirds.

No amenities but on the lake

There aren’t any amenities at this campground such as beach area on lake, walking trails, or any kayak rentals. However, our spot was right on the lake and was beautiful and peaceful. We went swimming and watched a sunset. We woke to a sunrise on the other side. Our campsite was positioned weird, but ended up being a big space.

I could live in this cottage!

Red Top Mountain State Park has it all - Allatoona Lake, a marina, fishing, boating, kayaking, camping, lakeside cottages, yurt, camp store, beach, miniature golf, food vendor, etc. i’ve Done it all now including a 2-bedroom Cottage for my birthday celebration. Travel 40 minutes north of Atlanta & 10 minutes from historic Cartersville and you’re in another world. I’ve visited at least 5 times and can’t wait for my next visit.