the dyrt
Adairsville, GEORGIA
Most Recent Adairsville Camping Reviews
Breath taking. From the views to the hike back up! Lol

Cloudland is absolutely beautiful!! I used to come up to this area every summer growing up but never visited the park. I’m so glad my wife recommended we actually go to the park. I’ll be honest, the hike down to the falls wasn’t to bad. The hike back up was pretty difficult. Tons of stairs. But the trails down by the falls were nice and level and very scenic. When we went it was pretty dang cold but because we were down in the valley we didn’t get much wind.

I love that Cloudland is pet friendly as well. We can’t have a dog right now but we got to see many friendly pups on the trail. It’s also really nice that Cloudland has areas with vending machines because I always forget something. The hike in camp sights are nice. They have picnic tables, which is nice for us because we normally eat on the ground with the trails we do. Overall Cloudland was awesome and I will definitely be going back.

Waterfalls and hiking

Very clean with both day areas and multiple camping areas. Lots of rv sites and tent camping, along with walk in camp sites. Also have cabins and glamping!

Lots of trails, frezby golf and a fishing pond.

Great backcountry site

Enjoyed my first backcountry camping at this beautifully park! Great site and lots to do!

Spot On The Lake

This area is really clean! And for a family that camps alot that's a big deal. They have a range of camping options. They are either right on the water or about a 100yd walk away. Would recommend for anyone wanting a nice view of the lake

Wet Weekend

Visited in February and it was a wet sloppy weekend, LOVED IT ! Of course no water sports due to the weather. I saw some fishermen and I know they have paddle boats to rent. I also saw a handicap accessible fishing pavilion. At the campground I ended up with a pull through site . I love the set up of the campground. It is a winding, hilltop, one way road through the campground which adds to the privacy of the sites. There are double sites to pick from and a nice handicap site next to the showerhouse. At the far end there is a playground and one site right behind it. So be careful not to pick it if you don’t want to listen to the raucous noises of children. There are a couple of trails to pick from, two circle the lakes. One connects to the Pinhoute (don’t ask me to pronounce it)and there’s a trail to the Marble mine. The cabins don’t allow pets , they are nice structures with full amenities and decks. The pioneer structures would be cool for a group event. I did not hike to the primitive campsites. Rain, mud and mess aside we had a good time.

Great camp sites

The camp sites are big and really enjoyed the campground.

Only RV

No tents just for RV

Backcountry #5

Our absolute favorite spot is #3 but we were very happy with #5! They went to an online specific reservation system now so no more guessing which spot you'll fight for. A long side trail off the main loop, you'll get some mountain views between the winter trees and climb up to what feels like the top of the mountain. Very private. There's a nice flat spot for the tent and plenty of running space for the pup to play fetch. The picnic table is right next to the fire pit which was nice and I was able to hang my hammock up on the other side! The only downside is your water source is down at the main loop so you'll want to get that on your way in or out.

There's a little trail that leads to the park border and private property I assume.

Great place

Great place

Nice

Well maintained

Site #15 on the hill is great.

It’s a small campground with very large camping sites and well placed through the area. All sites were really nice and most had separate area for an extra tent and trailer and eating area with fire pit and grill. Well maintained. We had woods directly across from us and no one around us. Bathroom facilities very clean, well kept with lots of light, heat and hot showers. Plenty of activities with hiking trails, 2 lakes for fishing, kayaking and paddle boats. Recommend the Marble Quarry hike. Falls were flowing great due to all the rain we had before. Trails around the lakes are nice and easy accessible. Loved the place and the people at the office were great and knowledgeable.

Top of the Hill

If you love twisty roads and beautiful views This is the place. We went in December and the weather was a little cool and damp but the views were great when the fog lifted. They're great scenic hikes in the park. Bathrooms were clean with very hot water

Beautiful trails!

Some of the most beautiful trails and waterfalls I have been to. The facilities were nice and clean. The bathroom was kind of far from our campground. Overall it was a great stay.

Blissful, Romantic Treehouse Retreat At the Foot of Lookout Mountain

Just a few minutes from Chattanooga, Tennessee and the trendy St. Elmo neighborhood, Treetop Hideaways is a lovely little retreat at the foot of Lookout Mountain, where there are many great hiking trails and climbing areas, as well as a few tourist attractions like Rock City, Ruby Falls, and the Point Park Civil War Battlefield. Cloudland Canyon State Park is nearby, too.

In addition to the location and the convenience, the Treetop Hideaways crew has gone above and beyond to hand-build two gorgeous, one-of-a-kind spaces. Unlike other treehouses that are glorified cabins on stilts, the Treetop Hideaways really are these romantic little visions tucked away in the branches. They are built with found and salvaged materials that give a romantic, Swiss Family Robinson vibe and kept the project eco-friendly.

Inside, you'll find amenities that are far more luxe than rustic, like velvet sofas, walk-in showers, and fluffy rugs. It's very Instagram worthy and magical, with twinkle lights, comfy beds, and beautiful floor and wall finishes. The bathroom in one treehouse has a floor made of shiny copper pennies! Talk about glamping.

I also really like how the Treetop Hideaways crew is very community oriented. Every year since they opened, they throw a huge bonfire party called the Christmas Tree Burn down in the meadow near the road. Last year, they lit the bonfire with a rocket attached to a zipline! Everyone cooked smores and hot dogs over their old Christmas trees, drank beer, and got to know their neighbors.

Even if you aren't visiting on that particular date, you can enjoy a fire pit area and s'mores thanks to the welcome package for guests. Pop into town for a local growler from Oddstory Brewing Company, Hutton and Smith, or Heaven and Ale, and grab some cheese and charcuterie from Blue Fox and bring it back to your treehouse for a picnic out on your balcony.

Weekend of Falls

Large sites, some level some not so much. We stayed in site 30 which was great! No cell service, but the campground has WiFi. Visit the link for more information and lots of photos. https://imaginecamper.com/2018/11/06/desoto-state-park-al/

Great hiking and camping near Atlanta

We visited this park a few weeks ago with friends and had an amazing time! The park is set up on the land of an old factory that used the river to power a water wheel. There are a whole bunch of trails of varying difficulty and length that meander through the woods along the river. Along with the campgrounds there are also picnic benches and large group areas where you can host a lunch or dinner. We took the trail that shows you where they built the mill then goes along the river for a while. It was a beautiful hike but definitely challenging since there are a lot of rocks you have to climb over. The campgrounds are nice and across the road from the park through you can also take other trails from there that go down and around the reservoir. The amenities are nice and the whole park is well taken care of. I would highly suggest staying the night since it is such a short trek from the Atlanta area.

RV Only site

Make sure to check out my video review below where I show you around some of the campground. This is much more of a mobile home or RV park than a campground since most of the people staying here are set up for long term residency rather than for a night or two. Additionally, it is right near downtown Atlanta so not exactly where I would want to spend the night if it wasn’t more of a home situation. If this is your purpose I would first check out the Atlanta West Campground down the street since it was significantly nicer in my opinion. This location seems mostly like a large parking lot where you can park and set up your site but there is not really any privacy or separation between different RVs. Only a couple miles away is Sweetwater State Park which is well worth a visit and has some wonderful hiking trails.

Great hiking near Atlanta

Bike Camping Site

Make sure to check out my video review first since it gives a good view of what is available at the site and a better overview of the different tent setups. I passed through this campground while biking the Silver Comet trail with my wife and some friends and checked it out as a potential overnight option. It is a primitive site with two gravel platforms set up for tents each with its own firepit. The sites are rustic but well cared for and perfect if you are bike packing the trail and need a free place to stay overnight. It is also only a 5 min bike ride in from two different trailheads on either side but only accessible from the trail and not connected to the road. This makes it a nice option since you will have much more privacy than any of the other options in the area. However, this also means you won’t have any of the facilities. There is a small seasonal creek that you could probably get water from in the spring when there is water available but it was totally dry when we were there in the fall. Overall, if you are looking for a “backpacking” like campground along the Silver Comet Trail this is a perfect option.

Nice large RV site near Atlanta

Make sure to check out my video review below where I show you around some of the campground. This is much more of a mobile home or RV park than a campground since most of the people staying here are set up for long term residency rather than for a night or two. Additionally, it is right near downtown Atlanta and alongside a highway so not exactly where I would want to spend the night if it wasn’t more of a home situation. However, for its actual purpose it does a wonderful job and has nice spaces for residents along with a small park and easy access to the nearby areas. Only a couple miles away is Sweetwater State Park which is well worth a visit and has some wonderful hiking trails.

Great for groups

Took a group trip here in high school and stayed in the larger group sites separated by gender. Overall it was a wonderful weekend and a great location for a group of our size with lots of amazing activities to do in the area. We also took full advantage of the great covered picnic areas since it rained a bunch that weekend. Some of our activities included taking kayaks/canoes up the river above Desoto Falls then hiking down from the top to swim in the small lake below. We also did a bunch of trust and group team building activities in some of the many open spaces around the campground. Overall, this is a great place to come with school groups and the large campsites work perfectly for lots of people to sleep.

Okay campground

I wasn't really a huge fan of this campground, but the hiking and outdoor nature was great. We saw tons of chipmunks around, they were definitely after our food both at our campsite and hiking. Wish I would have got some pictures of them! We also really enjoyed doing some bird watching and trying to figure out what birds were which. My grandpa brought his bird book, so we were able to look in there and find what birds we were seeing. The experience of doing it was worth it! There were definitely lots of different beautiful colored birds. Really enjoyed the hiking and nature walks. The paths were so beautiful, I couldn't help but take pictures of it all. Felt like we were the only ones on the paths, because they were bare and we hardly saw anyone. People used on of the trails for trail running, which looked like a ton of fun. We passed a few runners on our way up and back. The views from the top were amazing. The campground was a bit small and dirty. There was garbage everywhere it seemed, and the bathrooms were a mess. Not sure if people using the trails also use the bathrooms, BUT it was gross and smelly. Bring your own toilet paper would be my suggestion and plug your nose! We probably wouldn't come back and stay here again, but would come back to go hiking on the trails.!

Ranger Review: Renogy Solar Speaker at The Beautiful Rock Campground

Campground Review:

Overall summary: A great campground with sites for tents, RVs, and even cabins. Well organized so that different camping experiences have designated spaces making for better experiences for everyone.

My wife and I stayed at this campground with another couple who are friends of ours from Atlanta while bike packing parts of the Silver Comet Trail. We spent the whole day covering about 35 miles on our bikes with gear on the back having an amazing time. We were even able to stop for lunch in Rockmart and take a nice break. Since I knew it was going to be one of the first beautiful weekends of fall and that there would probably be a crowd I emailed the campground in advance to make a reservation. They told me that they don’t have staff on the premise working over the weekend but that they would hold a site for us. When we arrive that afternoon we found many sites available along the road so we just went and grabbed and envelope to pay and set up camp in a semi-private area next to what looked like a vacant small cabin.

Getting settled we were also able to explore around the site a little more and found that it was set up to have several different campground areas divided for different purposes. There is a huge field right along the main entrance that is designed for groups of bike campers where you can set up wherever then use the picnic and gazebo area for cooking and hanging out. This is also the area with the bathrooms (a retrofitted trailer) and there are several benches and swings. Continuing along the main road in the ground to the right are many small campgrounds for private groups interspersed with a couple small cabins. On the other side of the road are RV sites for people wishing to stay for a couple nights only. If you continue on and head up the hill there is a whole separate section of the camp set up for long term RV sites with monthly rental options. Additionally, right across the road from where we stayed were 2 small shower rooms that have a sink but no toilet and hot water for showers.

After getting settled in we began working on getting a fire going and were trying to use a small knife to break down some larger logs we found. The gentleman staying in the cabin saw us struggling and offered to grab his chainsaw and break down the wood for us. We happily obliged and got to chatting with him. He told us that it is actually his father-in-law who owns the place and that he stays in the cabins sometimes when they aren’t being used. Later on the owner came by to pick him up and I cannot express just how wonderful, welcoming, and friendly they both were. It was an amazing experience and they could not have been more gracious hosts. The only downside was that many of the tent sites are close together but everything else about the site is very well managed and organized. You can tell that the owner really takes good care of everything and values the environment he has built.

We had a restful night sleep and continued on our trek the next day. If you are in the area and have a chance to spend the night here I would highly recommend it!

……………………….

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to try out new and interesting products at campgrounds I visit. On this trip, I tried out the Renogy E.TUNES Solar Bluetooth Speaker. My takeaways from using the combo speaker/solar charger are:

1. The solar panel actually works and is effective if you have full sun and can leave it out to be exposed for a while. I found a great spot was on the dashboard of the car while we were biking for the day. It has an indicator light that lets you know if you have it angled correctly and if it is charging. Then there are lights that blink and fill in as it charges so you can know when it is done. A couple hours out in the sun is enough to recharge the battery completely and give you several hours of music time.
  2. Wow the speaker has some serious umph. I will be honest that I wasn’t expecting much from this speaker. I thought it would be a small thing that would be good for those occasions where I want to listen outside on a short hike or at a campground in the evening but the sound from this thing is no joke. It actually has a separate bass built in so you get really loud high quality sound. The speaker itself doesn’t have volume control so you will need to use the bluetooth connected music device to adjust that. However, you can skip songs and pause/play so that is a nice feature. I have actually started using this speaker at home in parallel with another when we project movies outside since it gives such a nice addition to the sound.
  3. USB outlet for phone charging. This was a wonderful feature for a car camping trip where we weren’t worried about the extra weight but didn’t want to have to bring along another battery pack to keep up with at the campground. We could just charge our phone and play music all in one device.
  4. Finally, the speaker is very well built and durable especially with the additional rubber bumper you can add on. I have accidentally dropped it a couple times already with not even any visible wear let alone effect on the functionality.

Overall, I would say this speaker is well worth the value and an amazing addition not only to your camping gear but also perfect for around the house or just a day at the beach. It charges quickly, puts out some wonderful sound, and comes with a slew of extra features.

Best in the Fall

Cloudland Canyon SP in Georgia is on the top of Lookout Mountain. A small stream runs through the park, and has cut a deep gorge into the mountain. The view down the gorge is spectacular in fall. There are 2 campground loops, walk-in tent sites and a yurt village. The west loop is larger, mostly wooded, with level sites, with water and electric. The east loop sites are closer together, and not as private. The Waterfalls Trail is a steep climb, with stairs down to Cherokee Falls and Hemlock Falls. There is also a cave to explore with a guide.

Decided against it

We may return though! The spots are a bit close together but the neighborhood is quiet. Wasn’t what we expected as there is not really a view of Sweetwater Creek- but it is about a 5 minute drive. We may go back to stay for a while because it is convenient to be so close to Sweetwater and we do enjoy going! 😄

Great camping in the woods

Red Top Mountain SP is a great place to get away into the Woods. The park is just north of Atlanta, so it gets crowded in summer and fall, so reservations are needed. There is one loop of pull-through sites for large RVs, and a loop along the lake with back in sites. There are also some walk in sites along the lake The sites are mostly level, with water and electric. You can get internet for an additional fee. The park has hiking, boat ramps, swimming beach, fishing and mini-golf. Many years ago there was an iron smelter at the site, and in the fall they occasionally have an “iron pour” so visitors can see them smelt iron.

Nice camp sites but doesn’t have full hookups

The road intro the small campground is a 25% grade that is incredibly steep. The road in the campground has a very steep hard left angle turn that is difficult to make for a large rig. In my opinion, this is a nice campground for smaller rigs and tent campers. We have a 36 TT and I consider this way to large for this campground. Prices also feel a little high for the campground.

family friendly

great place to be with family and friends. easy to get around and great place to explore.

small but nice

this camp ground was a great spot for family and time to just hang out with family.