Trilby , FLORIDA

Most Recent Trilby Camping Reviews
Campsite #14 - Not a Good Site on The Weekend

Starkey is an amazing spot. After having such a good time recently at campsite #9, I decided to venture back.

The site was spacious and many trees to hammock from, but the best part was the field directly in back of the site that is easily accessible. Bathroom was also directly across from site. Unfortunately, these were really the only good things about site #14.

Site #14 is practically on top of 13 and 15 giving very little privacy.

IF YOU ARE HOPING FOR PEACE AND QUIET, DO NOT GO ON A WEEKEND

I went on a Friday night, and the entire campground was PACKED. Very loud, too many tents packed into each site (2 maximum per site, saw almost 8 tents at campsite 12). Though the field behind 14 is super nice, on a Friday night, all I could hear were screaming cars blazing on Starkey blvd.

Over all, this would have been a great site to stay at had it been during the week.

Trailer Park, Not Friendly to RV People

55+ park, Owner & Manager are not RV friendly altho we never met Owner. They are gradually making this into a mobile home park, buying & adding mobile homes one at a time.

We are full time RV people. After viewing pricing& details on the web, we called & got the same pricing from park Manager. We visited & fell in love with a waterfront site. The price of the site changed 3x while we were there. In hindsight this should have been our clue to run, but we loved the view, park was nice & we thought the Manager was nice as well so we made a reservation for a 6/6 stay which required upfront payment for the 2nd 6 months. 2 days later Manager called, tried talking us into taking the site that was our 2nd choice because they wanted to put a mobile home on our site but wouldn't be until after the season when we were not there so we said no.

Moved in 2 weeks later. Once we got settled, Manager having seen my near perfect credit score tried talking me in to paying 12 months rent over a 70 day period (Oct 24-Jan1). She says to me, “I told the owner you won't need 6 months to pay, you can do it in 3. ” When I told her it made no sense she tried making it sound like she was doing me a favor & giving me 4 months to pay. To me 70 days = 2-1/3 months, but either way, it made no sense. Why would I pay 12 months rent up front?

Couple other things came up, got so bad that every time we saw her walking our way we looked at each other & said "What Now?" Last straw - her call saying owner rode by, saw we had 2 vehicles & said 1 had to move to overflow lot (aprox 1/4 mile from our site). We both have jobs, walking 1/4 mile to a car at 5:30 am was not an option. WE MOVED OUT which is probably what they were shooting for.

We were up front about everything who we are, what we have, how we live, no secrets. She was absolutely OK with everything - until we moved in & got settled.

Beautiful lake, but fishing pier was always under water. Amazing waterfront view but they are placing permanent mobile homes on those sites.

Great Manatee and bird watching opportunities at this quaint campsite.

This was the first stop after picking up our Caravel Airstream (from Airstream of Tampa). The campground is quaint, clean and easy to find however the spots are a bit tight and spaced fairly closely together. "Backing in' to spot #49 was a bit of a challenge as this is a fairly new hobby for us! Everyone we met was super friendly. The campsite has their own dock (next to the Trading Post) where you can rent canoes and kayaks. You can see manatees and numerous native birds.  We will absolutely be back!

Update

I just wanted to update the review. As of mid January, 2021…sites are covid spaced, no host, all sites are reserve only .

I have camped here several times, in different seasons. Late spring into summer river is high and fast. This time of year low and slow. By March/April its really low. Now, in mid Jan, its still easy to get to the "lake" , later on you may have to portage a short way depending on rainfall.

Camping there has always been fun, its almost dry camping, shower's hot. Not for big rigs (go to silver lake) no elec. $15 + fee

Campsites are actually on the Little Withlacoochee river..with makes a junction with the… Withlacoochee!

Nice quiet

Nice quiet park. Spent 2 weeks here as part of our Thousand Oaks package.

Old Florida Vibe

We love small RV parks with easy living and charm. Cedars Lake is such a park in Old Homosassa Florida. Sites are situated around a small pond, under large oak canopies. The full-time and part-time folks are friendly. The management couple, who live onsite, are welcoming and very helpful. And Ernie, the Blue Heron, is entertaining. Essentials include laundry, wifi, picnic tables, pool, rec room, etc. Close to lots of things to do, like state parks, walking trails, museums, manatee watching, fishing. There must be 30+ local restaurants nearby. The Museum Cafe (authentic Cuban sandwiches) is our favorite. We've stayed in all types of RV parks from WA to FL and this is the sweetest. Initially we reserved it for a week and, once here, stayed three weeks because it was a charming home away from home.

Stayed twice

Relaxing and scenic. Good trails. Kayaks/Canoes available to rent. Bathrooms and showers were always clean.

The best!!!

Love this place so many trails

Camp Site # 9

Starkey’s Campground has everything you could want or need. Friendly staff, plenty of critters, and beautiful trails to walk.

Campsite #9 has so far been my most favorite spot here. It’s VERY spacious (could easily fit 5 large tents here) and the back of the site has a trail that leads directly to The McNeil Homestead. If you’re looking for a bit of a spook, I highly suggest walking this at night time.

This campsite is the only one that has a turning grill on the fire pit, so you won’t have to bring any cooking gear.

Great place to camp, especially site # 9.

Very nice

The place is very quiet and nice. Restrooms are very clean. Right by the trails. We stay here every year. The pond seems clean enough for a swim.