Altamonte Springs, FLORIDA

Camping Florida Altamonte Springs
Most Recent Altamonte Springs Camping Reviews
Ranger Review: Grub Stick at Lake Mills Park in Seminole County, Florida

Campground  Review:  Grub Stick at Lake Mills Park, Seminole County, FL

I took part in helping with a Great American Camp Out for 36 families with over 126 people at Lake Mills Park in Seminole County, FL.  This was a special use event so we used the big open field areas in the day use part of the park near the lake.  This was a very, very good and well run event on everyone's part.   I did visit the campground area and give it a thorough inspection as well as talked to staff that was there helping out with the event too.  There were 13…I mean 14 spaces available for camping in tents.  There was a community bathroom with small showers.  This is the perfect place for a weekend camp out.  The camp sites are just a short walk to the lake and the fishing pier.  There is a boardwalk through the wetlands but it was closed at the moment, but the staff I talked with said it was going to be repaired and opened back up soon.  They also mentioned that the park was slated for some upgrades and amenities this coming year. They do not encourage swimming in the lake but while I was there I did see some people in the water.  The fishing pier was nice and in a cove like area.  Several in our group caught some small fish and some turtles too. There is a fit para course that goes around the day use area.  A nice bathroom is there near some picnic shelters that have grills beside them and the small amphitheater area.  There is a nice playground for the kids to play on with picnic tables and grills nearby.  There is also a sand volleyball court.  Everyone in our group….all 126+ enjoyed the park immensely.  I can imagine the lake being a great spot to kayak too.

Lake Mills Park is not to far from the Little Big Econ State Forest and Econ River Wilderness Area.  There are many other places not to far away to that are neat for exploring.  A day to Titusville would be a good adventure.

This park is nice and quiet, But you can hear cars going by on the main road just outside the park at night,  BUT  it wasn't a big deal to any of us.  Just a little background noise once in awhile.

………………………………………………………………….

Product Review:  Grub Stick

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At Lake Mills Park I tested The Grub Stick:  The Four Piece set with Cinch Bag and the Thirteen Piece Deluxe set with Zippered Bag.

The four piece comes with:  a telescopic stick, a grubfork implement, a grubcage, and a release tool and comes in a cinch sack.

The thirteen piece comes with: two telescopic sticks, two grubfork implements, a grubcage, a burgcage, a grubtube, grubpocket, a release tool, a finger protector, a hot pad, a food holder ring, and a zippered bag.

1.  I love the idea of having this telescopic stick to cook multiple different ways and multiple different foods.  It is fun to try out the different implements and foods.  The website by the way has many different recipes you can cook with the various implements.  Who doesn't want to cook over an open fire for fun!!

2.  I love the 4 piece cinch sack since it is great for one person and lightweight for a back pack.

3.  The 13 piece Deluxe set is awesome for family and friends camp out since there are more sticks and implements.  I will take both and use them all when its family and friends.

4.  I find the metal and the implements hold up well to the heat and use.   The bags make it easy to contain everything in one spot.

5.  It is easy to clean up.

6.  It is also great that you can combine several sets for larger groups and they all work together with all the different sticks and implements.

I can't wait to go camping again with these. Especially with my nephews who will love getting to cook over the open fire.

Expensive Florida camping

As a Full time Volunteer and NAP holder, it seems a bit much for non electric sites in a National setting. Yet the beauty of the spring is magnificent.

Diamond in the ruff.

Quite possibly one of the best sites in central Florida. Tons of hiking. Beautiful lakes, boardwalks, and most of all it has a beach.

The prettiest in Florida

Absolutely beautiful. Large sites.

Beautiful park

Beautiful spacious camp sites with lots of privacy. We'll look forward to returning.

Primitive island camping

Launch at river breeze park, book through Canavaral National Seashore. 20 bucks a night your own island. Can book for up to 15 people but I don't know where you would put enough tents. Got a 6 man and a 2 man set up and could get a 4 man as well but who actually puts that many people in a tent, lol.

Love it

Close to central florida attractions, however out in bfe. Love this park, hidden gem. Hiking, fishing, lake beach…..nice place to relax

SHORTENED STAY

My wife and I needed to be in the Orlando area but didn’t want to be near the Mouse House. We booked Clearbrook Golf and RV Resort using Passport America. On check in we were given a back in site (fine) only to find the the hook up we’re on the WRONG side ! We pulled in front first so hook up could be achieved. Minor problem but folks at check in should have known ! Campground is getting old and worn looking. The golf course looks nice and adds to making park look better !

Calm and Quiet

Perfect for who are looking for a not crowded campground. Manager and Host so gently and friendly. Absolutely I’ll back!

I've been to KOA's across the country but, this by far is the cleanest and most well kept I have been to and the view on the lake is amazing.

Ive been to KOA's across the country but, this by far is the cleanest and most wellkept I have been to and the view on the lake is amazing.

Amazing campground

Very well maintained resort. Clean bathhouses. Great transportation.

Huge, and gorgeous

Really something for everyone. Tent sites are lakefront underneath cypress trees with hanging Spanish Moss. Lots of RV sites with clean bathrooms. 2 pools, 2 hot tubs, on site restaurants, a lakefront beach with free SUP’s. Very family-friendly atmosphere, but not a ton of kids.

Great and friendly staff

Close to the ocean, great amenities. The only thing the park needs is a pool.

Great and friendly staff

Close to the ocean, great amenities. The only thing the park needs is a pool.

Mantee's Galore

Blue Spring State Park in Orange City, FL.  Visited mid-Sept 2019 middle of the week.  Although the campground was mostly booked we found space, with no crowds at the spring or the river.  Rent a tub and float down, with no crowds it's a 4 min walk up and a 15 min float down. The manatee's are on the move with their calfs.  The love bugs are brutal this time of year, but the campground is separated enough from the river area to feel safe from gators with your dogs.  Great short trail from campground to main area which included shop, food, tables and of course wood walkways by the river.   Walkways wide enough for wheelchairs.  Dogs allowed all over park except the wood trail up to the spring head.  New bathrooms, 2 bars on the cell service and I did see laundry available.

It's a walk!

It's a long walk to a primitive site, but totally worth it. There's no real way of knowing if the sites are already taken, so be prepared for that. There's a fire pit, table and plenty of space for tents. If I go again, I'll bring a folding cart to bring more supplies. Can't complain for a free campsite.

Paddle to sites

They have 3 paddle to sites on rock springs run and 1 on the wekiva river. All are pretty cool , big buck is the only one not directly on the water. All have bear box, fire pit and a bench or two. All but otter has hammock posts. Best is to launch upstream at kings landing and paddle down stream to them. When you take out keep going downstream to their pick up point and then you never paddle against current with gear. Also sucks to paddle up to them from the park because you have to pack out your own firewood since you can't burm ground fall. Very primitive and secluded.

Great sites

Great bathrooms. Great sites. Bus service around campground and to parks. Staff is amazing. Good store on site. Multiple pools.

Big park with tons of eminities

Wow again nicely kept park. Electric fishing boat rental , Picnicking , Champing Cabins , Tent sites , Camper sites . Fishing (catch and release) Big lake. Frisbee golf , Drone designated fly zone. Dogs allowed in some areas. Petting zoo. Walking and Hocking here

Apopka's Little Gem

Clean well kept camping and picnicking. Basketball court is included along with volleyball court. 14 day max stay , no sewer hook up. Dump station yes.

Apopka's Little Gem

Beautiful...

I camp here quite often. My go-to camp site for weekends. Great camp sites for both RV and Tent but I’m a tent camper. Lots of room on the site, nice clean facilities, nice fire rings. Lots of hiking trails, kayaking at the springs and the best swim area…. I highly recommend.

A lot great information

This app can help A lot. Check out

Beauty at its Finest

Beautiful place for floating down the spring. Enjoy drifting over river pebbles at the clear bottom of the spring. Tubes can be rented right outside of park. Often busy and loud but the spring serenity makes it worth it.

Ranger Review: Morsel Spork at Blue Springs State Park FL

Campground Review

Blue Springs State Park is known for it’s manatee sightings and this park did not disappoint! The park itself provides many opportunities for outdoor activities. There is a 4.5-mile hiking trail, biking trail, as well as water activities. There are two different parking lots, but both provide opportunities to reach the water and picnicking spots. Kayak and canoe rentals are available in the parking lot with the launch, while the main swimming area has a store and grill.

We spent much of our time kayaking from the park’s canoe launch. Here, we were able to see tons of wildlife from all sorts of fish, alligators, and yes, a manatee! There is swimming in the park as soon as it opens, but you can only access the spring head and get into the clearer water before 11:00am and after 5pm. It is well worth it to go early as the park fills up fast and does get a bit noisy - we prefer the quiet nature sounds.  The manatee was there in the morning.  There is also a public boat launch just outside of the park.

We stayed in site 1 which was shaded and well spread out from the site next to use with plenty of vegetation in between. The camp host is very quick to respond and was very keen on his duty. The restrooms were newer looking and clean. However, there are only two stalls in the women’s restroom, so I did have to wait to get a shower in when I went. The only drawback I found from the campsite/campground area was the noise. There are train tracks near the state park, so hearing trains throughout the night(especially at 3am) was not what I’m looking for when I get out into nature. So bring ear plugs!

Overall, the grounds were well kept, the staff takes their job seriously(in a good way), and there are many activities to do. The outdoor activities and many opportunities to see wildlife really impressed us with this park. We will definitely be back!

Product Review

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, I get to test products at this campground I tested the Morsel Spork and Morsel Spork XL.

This spork is the utensil of my dreams and completes my dinner set up. I love the size of the smaller spork for my bowl, but I also love the XL version for my camping meals in the bag as it is long enough to fit in there perfectly. What I like the most: it can scrape like a spatula(and get all the good last bits in the bowl!), the way it feels in my hand compared to my previous spork, the ridges on the fork which can be used for cutting, it can be placed in boiling water(so it’s safe for my Jetboil), and is dishwasher safe(so I can sanitize and sterilize later).

The only drawback was that the fork end would poke me in the hand at first, but once I got used to how to hold the handle it was completely fine.

Headspring Magic!

Lovely place to camp, bike, and swim! Easy access from tent sites down to the springs. Many manatees can be seen while exploring the springs. Check out the Head spring and cave entrance at the northern end of the swimming area—nothing short of magical.

Amenities

The amenities are nice, pool has a slide and there’s a splash pad/kiddie area by the pool. There are boats to the parks, horseback riding and bike paths. The only downside was that the campground was noisy. Lots of people blaring music and driving through the campground on golf carts playing music loud. The sites were a little bit close together but not terribly. Definitely a vey manicured campground with paved roads and driveways to the sites. We also had a site that backed to another road so there were buses going by till about midnight.

So much to do!

Wekiwa was an amazing place to camp and spend our weekend. The park offers hiking, biking, day swimming, a food grill, a canoe/kayak launch and rental, plus tons of wildlife! The campground was quiet and the restrooms fairly clean. However, a weekday is best to visit the spring and river. On the weekend there were tons of people in the park. We had a wonderful 3 days here.

Take a walk with nature

I had an amazing time here.  It is back to nature with water and electric hookups. The spring itself is beautiful and great swimming as long as you can stand the 72 degree water. We had a mama raccoon and her 3 babies stop by our campsite and our neighbor spotted a black bear…..not too close.