Mountain View , COLORADO

Most Recent Mountain View Camping Reviews
Expensive camping.

Sites are very hard to get your unit level. Very high price for no hookups. Close to Estes Park.

Nice dispersed campsites

Free dispersed camping with zero amenities but man made fire pits. Windy and cold but beautiful!

Closed

We were so excited but as of January 1, 2021 it is closed. I’m sure it will reopen during warmer seasons.

Great spot with everything you need

Typically we try for the more out of the way campgrounds or dispersed camping, but with a brand new trailer, we needed a bit more stability. Base Camp offered electric hook ups for us, a stocked store, and they lent us an extension cord when we realized we left it at home.

Had this been summer, I would expect it to be pretty tight quarters, and you are pretty close to a decently trafficked road, and Base Camp doubles as a gas station and propane fill (again, great if you need it while you're staying there), so I wouldn't call it private.

Kind folks and a great first night.

Beuatiful, but Noobs Beware!

Sorry, No photos. It is very beautiful up there. I have only been here once, and I did not do enough research. I recently purchased a 26ft sustainable travel trailer and decided to take it out for the first time. Well the road up is very tight. Very skinny switchbacks. About half way up looking for a way to turn around. We got lucky and found a space just barely large enough to back in to carfully. I am a first time TT owner so, yeah it was a bit nerve racking. Although it was very beautiful, I will not make that mistake again. Don't go up if you are pulling anything larger than a tear drop trailer. I didn't go all the way up, so I don't know if there is any kind of turn around up there. If someone knows, please enlighten me, as would like to know if I was going to be screwed if I went all the way up.

Dated amenities

This place was "okay". They don't make it very easy to find, but I was glad it was tucked away. The facilities were clean, sure, but everything was old and there was market writing and scratches on the bathroom walls, as well as prison-style TP holders with a piece of bar steel shoved through a cardboard-tubeless toilet paper holder that you had to manually turn for each precious sheet of single-ply. It was off season so I gave them an extra star…

It was also QUITE a trek up the mountain to get there from Golden, with a LOT of steep grades, and multiple SLOW switchbacks.

Couldn’t find it

Like the last user the directions took me to a very small roadside pull off. There were plenty of pull offs on this and other roads surrounding that were bigger but on quite a slant. Checkout magnolia rd. Really neat pull up a way up that over looks the city, is flat and plenty of room for several vehicles even a larger RV/Van/Camper.

Truly Spectacular State Park

We visited Golden Gate Canyon in October 2020 and we were blown away with the natural beauty of this park. We stayed in Reverends Ridge Loop E Site 49. It was a pull through site, mostly level, and it easily accommodated our 20' truck still attached to our 30' travel trailer. The sites we saw were spaced apart generously. The park was quiet and family friendly. We only stayed for one night as we were passing through the area, but we would absolutely go back again and highly recommend it to others. One important note is that RVs can not enter through the entrance on HWY 46 at Mountain Base Road (we learned the hard way). The good news is the entrance is not far from there, but you may want to plan to enter off HWY 119 from the outset.

Reverend's Ridge

There are multiple camping areas in here, from giant RV to backpack access only. This is for Reverend's Ridge.

The good and the bad is that it is close to Denver/Golden/Boulder and can feel far away. This would be a really good spot with kids or first time campers who don't want to spend hours in the car. But that brings problems as well. Lots of newbies who don't quite get the etiquette side of things. Spots are close together and many of the campers the night we were there thought this was a great place to drink, talk and run generators until 1am. Add in a few barking dogs first AM, it was not my favorite spot.

Electric hookup and very large and clean showers available (though they were closed for COVID). I'll go back to what I said before, this is a great spot for those who are new to camping, have families and want easy access to bathrooms and showers.

Leave no trace.

Stayed in Reverends Ridge campground in Loop A. We had pretty decent cell service with AT&T. The campsites were somewhat close but it was still fine. Didn’t feel very wild but the amenities seemed nice. The bathroom was functioning and heated. The tent pad was nice as well. Some nice hikes within the park that we enjoyed. I’d stay here again.