Florissant , COLORADO

Most Recent Florissant Camping Reviews
Great Road Trip Campsite

There are many beautiful campsites here. Tenting sites are separated from RV sites, which I appreciated. There are beautiful fire pits and standard picnic tables. Night temps were good for car camping in winter months. Hikes of any length can be started right from the campground or a short drive away. Maximum stay allowed is 72 hours.

Lots of options

There are extensive sites in the area for all sizes of rigs.  There is plenty of room and easy access for large rigs or tent camping.  FR 272 is the main road in but there are several spur roads, 273 and 274 that have plenty of options also.  One problem is that this area is well known and is becoming very popular.  On weekends, there may be more than 50 campers in the area.

Because of the overuse some sites are getting, the forest service is starting to fence some sites in so they don't grow in size.  The are working towards camping in designated sites only because so many campers are just trashing the area.

The hiking is good with several trailheads and easy access to the Colorado Trail.

Beuatiful, but Noobs Beware!

Sorry, No photos. It is very beautiful up there. I have only been here once, and I did not do enough research. I recently purchased a 26ft sustainable travel trailer and decided to take it out for the first time. Well the road up is very tight. Very skinny switchbacks. About half way up looking for a way to turn around. We got lucky and found a space just barely large enough to back in to carfully. I am a first time TT owner so, yeah it was a bit nerve racking. Although it was very beautiful, I will not make that mistake again. Don't go up if you are pulling anything larger than a tear drop trailer. I didn't go all the way up, so I don't know if there is any kind of turn around up there. If someone knows, please enlighten me, as would like to know if I was going to be screwed if I went all the way up.

Buena Vista

Lives up to the Beautiful View in the foot hills of Presidential Peaks. Tent camped in August and woke up one morning at 38 degrees. Very nice and clean.

Excellent State Park

Colorado Springs offers much to do and this campground is a great spot to unhook. “The Meadows” is one of the loops…all level spots here, full hook-up. Not much privacy or shade, but would still highly recommend. The park location is close to Garden of the Gods, Manitou Cliff Dwellings, Pike’s Peak and more. The park offers many wonderful hiking trails…and a frisbee golf course. Convenient drive to grocery stores and restaurants.

A wonderful getaway

Beautiful, peaceful and most importantly a very clean campground for adventurers and families alike! My girlfriend and I loved our stay here!

Does the Trick

The first spots you'll find will be filled with massive RVs and big rigs and large groups looking for a party in the forest since it is so easy to get to. If you want to push on further, take the road to the left and keep going just past the Browns Creek Trailhead and over the creek. It gets quieter and prettier (and a little harder to get to). Great MTB rides near here and quick into Buena Vista and Salida.

Heavenly

Thank you Heather C.!! Best suggestion… Best view… Best spot if all you need is to get away….

Great spot, beautiful area

Nice dispersed camping sites. Our only complaint was the couple that decided to join us at our site without asking, saying please, or even thank you for allowing them to stay. They also had a dog which agitated our dogs for the rest of our stay. Get it together folks!

Convienent Campground

This campground has some beautiful spots. We camped here prior to Covid and really enjoyed a spot with a view. However, we came back this year and found the crowd a little different. Seemed to be a lot of passer throughs and transient type people. We had been camping for a couple days when a chair was stolen off our campsite. Kind of left a bad taste for leaving the campsite after that. We camp a lot and that was a first for us. It also seems to become party central on Friday nights now. We had a larger group of people come in blaring music and talking loud but to their regard they all disappeared from the campground around 11. So it’s free, it’s pretty, just watch out. Bring your own water. There is one vault toilet. There were fire restrictions in place while we were there so make sure you have an alternate source for cooking and/or warmth. I heard rumor while there they might start charging a small fee in the future, to establish some rules and upgrade some amenities. Might be worth it for such a nice spot.